Plastering and Building

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossi46

Private Member
It's always confused me when I see that on a van or website. Does plastering not come under building? If you're a builder you're a builder and that covers everything. To me it's like your trade is Plastering but you'll have a go at other stuff. You'll never see electrician and builder, plumber and builder. Am I wrong?

I've only ever worked on people's houses, after my first boss and while I was still only 19 I worked for a pair of brothers who done extensions etc.
I done the plastering but there wasn't enough to do everyday so in between I'd labour and learn other things.
8 years later I bought a house put and extension on which I done 70% of the work on, I now have a couple of subbies that do my plastering and rendering with me, while I take on the projects like kitchens and bathrooms re fits, small structural alterations and extensions.
I've also just got another house I've bought to do up and sale as a project. So for me plastering is my trade but I also do building work.
I get what you mean about having a go but I would hate to be skimming all the time and wouldn't last.
Doing almost everything makes my job enjoyable so for me it works.
I've seen a few electrical and building firms etc round our way.
You may think I'm a cowboy for doing it this way but we get recommendations all the time so can't be that bad.
I take on a job do everything I can and sub out the bits I can't, win win for me. I'm getting paid for my work and earning off others while keeping a job running smooth and a client happy.
Some people do it some don't but if I take a kitchen on as full refurb that say last 3 weeks or just do the skimming at 2 days think how much work you need to find?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wish i could do more...thought about going to collage for brickwork would like to have got into it when younger.

The problem that I would have with it now is wouldnt be able to look at a customer I'n the face if went off to college and then there extension etc was my first jon.

Guess OK if you can knock a couple ectensions up as love jobs for family etc first but still would feel like a charlatan.

Shame as I'm sure thats where the moneys is at..like jgreen was saying with that sort of work you can be booked up for weeks even months.

Plastering alone you need shite loads of leads to fill your weeks in domestics and shite money

I've only ever worked on people's houses, after my first boss and while I was still only 19 I worked for a pair of brothers who done extensions etc.
I done the plastering but there wasn't enough to do everyday so in between I'd labour and learn other things.
8 years later I bought a house put and extension on which I done 70% of the work on, I now have a couple of subbies that do my plastering and rendering with me, while I take on the projects like kitchens and bathrooms re fits, small structural alterations and extensions.
I've also just got another house I've bought to do up and sale as a project. So for me plastering is my trade but I also do building work.
I get what you mean about having a go but I would hate to be skimming all the time and wouldn't last.
You may think I'm a cowboy for doing it this way but we get recommendations all the time so can't be that bad.
I take on a job do everything I can and sub out the bits I can't, win win for me. I'm getting paid for my work and earning off others while keeping a job running smooth and a client happy.
Some people do it some don't but if I take a kitchen on as full refurb that say last 3 weeks or just do the skimming at 2 days think how much work you need to find?

I'm the same, I do quite a few things and not stuck to just one thing and I'm very good at everyone of them. Been doing one thing or another for well over 20 years. Built my own house 80% myself.

Love every min of my work. My mates give me some banter thou about can I get anymore writing on my van. All I know is anyone I do work for is very happy. I've yet to have anyone complain about bad workmanship and I will never leave a bad job. I never rush things just to grab the money and fcuk off to the next job and take pride in the good reputation I have. Just wish the country wasn't in the state its in because I want to become a builder building my own houses doing as much work as possible myself.

Well put @Jgreenplastering
And @hail hail
Guess I've never been asked about building work or learned enough of other trades over the years. I can definitely see sense in what you do. I always envy builders being able to do so many different jobs and have so much variety. I've been skimming for 4 months solid with tennis elbow agony :mad: bored fookin stiff!

And @hail hail
Guess I've never been asked about building work or learned enough of other trades over the years. I can definitely see sense in what you do. I always envy builders being able to do so many different jobs and have so much variety. I've been skimming for 4 months solid with tennis elbow agony :mad: bored fookin stiff!

Growing up during the troubles in the north, I was fcuked into the building sites from the age of 14 because there just wasn't any work for us. From 1993, I've been labouring, plastering, block laying, stone mason, painting, concrete work, tiling and helping looking after building houses from scratch. Its all I know and love it. I just couldn't see myself sitting behind a desk. Now I'm the one getting my own jobs and when I need to pull some other trade in, I have them at the end of the phone. I network between all the trades I mention above that I do when I've the bigger jobs on. I'll do anything for work, I'll even pick the dingle berries from your arse for 200 a day thou keep that shy, don't want the chick knowing I'm a hallion :reloco::llorando:

And @hail hail

I'm far from clued up on things mind, if clients asked about certain regs etc I wouldn't know them but then I'll look it up and follow what needs to be done.
Also with stuff I haven't yet done that's where the small gang of people I use come in and help me out. One thing I don't touch is plumbing or electrics.

But I tend to pick things up pretty quickly so I'll learn as I go.

I'm nowhere near being a master builder, I prefer to see myself as just a tradesman with a eye for detail, good organisation, passion for being good at what I do and the urge to be successful in my own right.

Don't get me wrong though there are people out there so bad at one thing that they try anything.
But it's the same with anything I suppose.

I'm far from clued up on things mind, if clients asked about certain regs etc I wouldn't know them but then I'll look it up and follow what needs to be done.
Also with stuff I haven't yet done that's where the small gang of people I use come in and help me out. One thing I don't touch is plumbing or electrics.

I'm nowhere near being a master builder, I prefer to see myself as just a tradesman with a eye for detail, good organisation, passion for being good at what I do and the urge to be successful in my own right.

Don't get me wrong though there are people out there so bad at one thing that they try anything.

I like your honesty mate. I can see why you do well (y)

I always look at brickys outside with knowone nagging them and feel jealous...

Anybody want a 41yr old bricklaying apptenticise in syorks...

My only trouble is finding them reliable small gang, my spark is brilliant very knowledgeable but slow and slow thinking and dirty but reliable, my plumber is almost the same but unreliable.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

My motto is to moan like fook that building games on its arse...and there's more money in washing cars!!!

My motto is to moan like fook that building games on its arse...and there's more money in washing cars!!!
There's definitely money to be made in a car wash, waited an hour yesterday to get my van cleaned 10min 20quid

There's definitely money to be made in a car wash, waited an hour yesterday to get my van cleaned 10min 20quid

£20!!! Were topless birds washing it?!
I wash my own. But I enjoy it :oops:

Last edited:
£20!!! We're topless birds washing it?!
I wash my own. But I enjoy it :oops:
No it was a bunch of Albanians, they do a good job, I don't mind doing it in the summer but not in this weather.

I'm a level three bricklayer by trade. Straight into apprenticeship from school. Building firm I worked for did everything so eventually I showed interest in the pink side. Boss put me with the plasterer when ever there was a chance and I learnt as much as I could. He was great just let me get on the trowl and do my thing. Just steared me in the right directions. 6 years later I'm full time Plastering on my own. Amongst building one or two extensions a year. I love being able to switch from both trades keeps everything fresh. Although I don't envy being bent over laying bricks this time of year haha. :LOL:. Not to shabby for a bricky eh?

Attachments

• IMG_20160205_150022.jpg
    IMG_20160205_150022.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 246
  • IMG_20160205_150022.jpg
    IMG_20160205_150022.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 238
I'm a level three bricklayer by trade. Straight into apprenticeship from school. Building firm I worked for did everything so eventually I showed interest in the pink side. Boss put me with the plasterer when ever there was a chance and I learnt as much as I could. He was great just let me get on the trowl and do my thing. Just steared me in the right directions. 6 years later I'm full time Plastering on my own. Amongst building one or two extensions a year. I love being able to switch from both trades keeps everything fresh. Although I don't envy being bent over laying bricks this time of year haha. :LOL:. Not to shabby for a bricky eh?
Nice work there mate

No it was a bunch of Albanians, they do a good job, I don't mind doing it in the summer but not in this weather.

Someone said to me the other day if you want to stop immigration was your own car!

It's always confused me when I see that on a van or website. Does plastering not come under building? If you're a builder you're a builder and that covers everything. To me it's like your trade is Plastering but you'll have a go at other stuff. You'll never see electrician and builder, plumber and builder. Am I wrong?
I always thought the vans that have it wrote like that are builders who use to use a plasterer who then by mistake showed them how to do a bit of plastering...then the said builder bombs off the plasterer and bangs plastering in front of the building work sign to try nick all the plastering they can ,to all the unknowledgeable general public who think that a builder must be a better bet to employ than a plasterer.
No offense intended to any builders on here (some of the above I am sure do a good job)it's just what I think when I see the signage as Rossi said at the start of thread.
All the good builders around my way would not touch plastering cus it's counter productive for them to even try and I find the good ones rather get each trade in .The ones I have seen with it on the van are s**t at skimming and rendering,boarding,floating the lot.

Think a lot on here are a bit like how I started out I got into plastering and the blokes I've always worked with have been solely plasterers be on site or domestic as time has gone on we have just done the plastering and times have changed and people now want builders or multi trades as they think bloke who can do everything can save them a few quid I'm with most of you here and wish I could do more I probably could but I haven't got the balls to take he extra bits on and I give them away in other trades I know,what gets me is most other trades don't wanna touch plastering

I always thought the vans that have it wrote like that are builders who use to use a plasterer who then by mistake showed them how to do a bit of plastering...then the said builder bombs off the plasterer and bangs plastering in front of the building work sign to try nick all the plastering they can ,to all the unknowledgeable general public who think that a builder must be a better bet to employ than a plasterer.
No offense intended to any builders on here (some of the above I am sure do a good job)it's just what I think when I see the signage as Rossi said at the start of thread.
All the good builders around my way would not touch plastering cus it's counter productive for them to even try and I find the good ones rather get each trade in .The ones I have seen with it on the van are s**t at skimming and rendering,boarding,floating the lot.

I get what your saying.
I'd bet every builder has a trade behind them from there days at college or starting as a labourer though.
You become a builder from learning trades as you progress, you don't start as a builder and then learn a trade if that makes sense.

I get what your saying.
I'd bet every builder has a trade behind them from there days at college or starting as a labourer though.
You become a builder from learning trades as you progress, you don't start as a builder and then learn a trade if that makes sense.

J ..I defiantly wasn't having a go at you to be fair I have always thought you were different to the dudes I am on about ..
I work only for three that do things right as I said above all of them were bricklayers and then expanded to other works I agree but they know when not to do work and just call in the right trade to move through the job and move on cus they are always upto there necks in offers of work and it is the right way.
The ones I meant we all know they are the s**t of the trade.

To me a builder is generally a bricklayer by trade....who either sub's or doesn't additional trades

If I'm honest I think a lot of what's been spoke about on here is what I refer to as wanna be plastic builders...

There a new bread along with multi trades, property maintenance etc.

If I'm honest if it was my house I wouldn't touch them I would want a qualified old style bricklayer.

Hey ho maybe wrong

J ..I defiantly wasn't having a go at you to be fair I have always thought you were different to the dudes I am on about ..
I work only for three that do things right as I said above all of them were bricklayers and then expanded to other works I agree but they know when not to do work and just call in the right trade to move through the job and move on cus they are always upto there necks in offers of work and it is the right way.
The ones I meant we all know they are the s**t of the trade.

I didn't take offence mate no worries.
Am I know exactly what you mean.
The master craftsman who will happily try and build something for £80 a day!?! [emoji33][emoji33][emoji16]

To me a builder is generally a bricklayer by trade....who either sub's or doesn't additional trades

If I'm honest I think a lot of what's been spoke about on here is what I refer to as wanna be plastic builders...

If I'm honest if it was my house I wouldn't touch them I would want a qualified old style bricklayer.

Hey ho maybe wrong
I'm with you on that I would rather pay the extra for a bloke who only does one thing I've had people call me about some plastering then say oh can you hang doors can you lay Lino I always say I wouldn't even try with my tools I've even had one company say a multi trade is worth more than a man with a skilled trade cos they earn out of him more I can still make a living and I do wish I could do more but I don't I give it away also what grates me a bit a plumber goes to a house to fit new boiler quotes say 2500 he there 2 days they don't say nothing you say for example that ceiling is 200 plus materials they think you are robbing them (they ain't my prices just an example)

I'm with you on that I would rather pay the extra for a bloke who only does one thing I've had people call me about some plastering then say oh can you hang doors can you lay Lino I always say I wouldn't even try with my tools I've even had one company say a multi trade is worth more than a man with a skilled trade cos they earn out of him more I can still make a living and I do wish I could do more but I don't I give it away also what grates me a bit a plumber goes to a house to fit new boiler quotes say 2500 he there 2 days they don't say nothing you say for example that ceiling is 200 plus materials they think you are robbing them (they ain't my prices just an example)

100% mate...

New boilers, fuse boards etc great mark up and good luck to them...

We have to plaster full houses from top to bottom for the same money be the first ones on site and the last to leave...

And were no better thought of...and I tell you something else taking that extra time to do a better job is lost on most people I now look at a job and where I can cut cornets and save time but not get a pull I do...

Maybe its just me but there's no appreciation anymore

100% mate...

We have to plaster full houses from top to bottom for the same money be the first ones on site and the last to leave...

And were no better thought of...and I tell you something else taking that extra time to do a better job is lost on most people I now look at a job and where I can cut cornets and save time but not get a pull I do...

Mate I been thinking for a while that plastering isn't seen by many as a skill anymore I be shocked if you told me you haven't heard the "it's only an hours work for someone like you" being asked to do a hit at 3.30 on day work then them saying we are defeatists cos we won't do it,everyone knows a plasterer or has done a bit of plastering these days now I price and don't take nothing off I say your probably get someone cheaper but that's my price lose a few but I can't work for wages I run my own thing end of day I gotta run a van go see job get materials ect all costs money, this game can really get you down at times but when we enjoy it it can be so satisfying

Would you ask the builder if he started as a brickie?
Then say goodbye if he said no but you'd seen how good his work was from recommendations?

So you'd let a 'bricklayer' build your walls, cut your roof on, tile it, plaster/tile your rooms but not let a 'plasterer' do the same? Or am I reading it wrong?

It's also using your business mind.
If you had to skim a different room in a different house say average 1.5 days over a 5 day week that's 3 jobs a week, say approx 150 a year.
Take a small single storey extension.
Say 10 weeks per job
So 5 a year and double that just for banter then yes it maybe hard work sorting trades out etc but your not looking for as much work or working as hard and should earn more money.

It's about knowing your limitations and when to say no.
If I don't think I can do it I won't, I'll get the pro in and then learn from them.

100% mate...

Agree with you there but out materials are the cheapest of all trades aren't they. Boilers don't cost £5.
Anything that only costs a few quid you'll never make good money on unless it's sold in massive quants.

When something is sold as being all fancy smancy it sucks people in and £££ are
made!

I love walking into a job. Bare first fixed room and transforming it into an actual room. Most customers are over the moon because all they've been staring at is a building site. Then vola instant transformation. They love it. Always seem to get all the appreciation. Plumber could be there all day ripping floor boards up and piping up. Customers come home and see two rads on the wall and think what the f**k has he been doing all day lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.