Garden wall - best solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
c3822c76.jpg

When I went to college they told us to look for the obvious. Trees growing in cracks would be quite high on the list

flynnyman;556592[B said:
]I might come with you this was discussed on the second day of college. :)
[/B]
With respect Flynnyman this suggests a simple solution known by all who have done a course at the tech.
If it is as you say then your fellows on this forum must have forgot what was said on day 2 or their lecturers held differing views either of which dents your assertion. However in view of the variance of suggestion why not cast light onto the darkness, wisdom to the ignorant or help someone who asked a simple question at the outset?.

One moderator tells us that it is a wallcrete solution does this concur with the second day of college? Obviously not because we didn't have Walllcrete under that name then. We might have but I couldn't easily find what is in Wallcrete but it is of recent concoction which suggests too sophisticated for a day 2 solution.
Spunky tells
You could just use a really week mix like a 6-1-1 scratch and a 7-1-2 top coat don't use waterproofer in either coat just give it a good soaking and you could bed some render mesh into the scratch coat ( note lime)

Lucious btells us in response to lilhards No cement with hydraulic or putty lime mate there are other ways of helping it go of quicker.

Then warriorupnorth throws his views in.​
Wallcrete an mesh , rub it up, scrape it, print it whatever you want, you can even pre colour so no painting.
Lucius and DAnnymac are having a side conversation about pozzolan
Superspread tells us i would fix rib lath to the wall (if the bricks allow this and dont start moving)and two coat render,if you use hydraulic lime you dont need a pozzolan. ( note lime)
Lucious replies
No you dont only with putty, hydraulic is different and goes of quicker but still needs care i just couldnt be arsed explaining it all as ive explained it all before, no offence Dan just google it all the info is there
And then Irish Spread Try using a metal detector first. Then, if you don't find any you could carbon date the mortar. If its Roman you could use slaked lime or jam. Me personally ?, I'd just render it. ( might be lime or jam )

What would I do?

1. Knock off the render or get the client to do it to see whats beneath..
2. I'd guess wall is not worth bothering with. The wall condition determines everything don't waste your time with specs until its condition is determined.
3. I'd be interested in comparing a brick rebuild cost with a repair and whether the clients needs a solution that requires a wall as high for the whole of its length.
4. The problem with this type of problem is that you are going outside a simple rendering issue. If you are serving the best interests of the client a new smaller brick wall might be the answer.

Over to you Flynnyman​

for monocouche. Lucious says 6.1.1 , .. presumably this m agical solution is going to solve ethem

Don't think you'll ever hear those words directed you're way mate lol
(An occasion when Flynnyman was nice to me.)

Yes you will. This isn't a forum where the pleasantries of life are generally thrown about. In a fairer world I would have posted Flynnyman a thank you hios post on the dewalt laser level. The only reason why I don't have one is that Amazon won't deliver it to France. A belated thank yo Flynnyman and up yours Spunky.

Ime not even going to engage with you Slie, ive met your type before you are just a bored know it all expat twit with nothing better to do than come on here and try and stir up some trouble and i bet you have got a beard.

Ime not even going to engage with you Slie, ive met your type before you are just a bored know it all expat twit with nothing better to do than come on here and try and stir up some trouble and i bet you have got a beard.

Grow up. The questioner seeks an answer to a reasonable question.

Chances are i'm going to turn this one down, unless I have spec off surveyor. I'm not going to just render it and hope for the best (chance it). Not the way I work.

Looking at the pics this wall is 9" the original copings ae missing more to do when it was rendered thickness
covered the drip on the coping. Hence what looks like slabs fitted now on top of wall. One other thing, the way the wall angles down there is no copings. Not sure of the age of building but you dont very often see garden walls in 9" brick work could it be blocks and also there is no pillars supporting the wall. I would strip it back so you can see what state the bricks are in . At the end of the day it's just a basic rendering job .

No such thing as a basic rendering job on this site Henry. This my old mate is a rendered wall with cracks. This needs to be analysed in great depth.

Basic rendering lol
:RpS_biggrin:

Pull the fcuker down, check foundation if its sound build on it if it aint start from scratch you dont need some weirdo beardo to tell you that.

How much cash is on the table to do this job feck sake H&S will be involved next. It's just a bit of rendering.

[/B]
With respect Flynnyman this suggests a simple solution known by all who have done a course at the tech.
If it is as you say then your fellows on this forum must have forgot what was said on day 2 or their lecturers held differing views either of which dents your assertion. However in view of the variance of suggestion why not cast light onto the darkness, wisdom to the ignorant or help someone who asked a simple question at the outset?.

One moderator tells us that it is a wallcrete solution does this concur with the second day of college? Obviously not because we didn't have Walllcrete under that name then. We might have but I couldn't easily find what is in Wallcrete but it is of recent concoction which suggests too sophisticated for a day 2 solution.
Spunky tells
You could just use a really week mix like a 6-1-1 scratch and a 7-1-2 top coat don't use waterproofer in either coat just give it a good soaking and you could bed some render mesh into the scratch coat ( note lime)

Lucious btells us in response to lilhards No cement with hydraulic or putty lime mate there are other ways of helping it go of quicker.

Then warriorupnorth throws his views in.​
Wallcrete an mesh , rub it up, scrape it, print it whatever you want, you can even pre colour so no painting.
Lucius and DAnnymac are having a side conversation about pozzolan
Superspread tells us i would fix rib lath to the wall (if the bricks allow this and dont start moving)and two coat render,if you use hydraulic lime you dont need a pozzolan. ( note lime)
Lucious replies
No you dont only with putty, hydraulic is different and goes of quicker but still needs care i just couldnt be arsed explaining it all as ive explained it all before, no offence Dan just google it all the info is there
And then Irish Spread Try using a metal detector first. Then, if you don't find any you could carbon date the mortar. If its Roman you could use slaked lime or jam. Me personally ?, I'd just render it. ( might be lime or jam )

What would I do?

1. Knock off the render or get the client to do it to see whats beneath..
2. I'd guess wall is not worth bothering with. The wall condition determines everything don't waste your time with specs until its condition is determined.
3. I'd be interested in comparing a brick rebuild cost with a repair and whether the clients needs a solution that requires a wall as high for the whole of its length.
4. The problem with this type of problem is that you are going outside a simple rendering issue. If you are serving the best interests of the client a new smaller brick wall might be the answer.

Over to you Flynnyman​

for monocouche. Lucious says 6.1.1 , .. presumably this m agical solution is going to solve ethem

Wow that was a long read so to elaborate you said "help someone who asked a simple question at the outset?" He didnt ask the question, he made out he knew the solution and kept it up in a number of posts, ignoring some good advise hoping he would be given the simple solution or an easy way to do the job, with a life time guarantee. On Day 2 of college we learnt Knock off the render or get the client to do it to see whats beneath it to try and solve the problem rather than just pissing in the wind or making it up. Which funilly enough is what your first solution was oh and before you ask on our first day we learnt how to skim. xxx

Wow that was a long read so to elaborate you said "help someone who asked a simple question at the outset?" He didnt ask the question, he made out he knew the solution and kept it up in a number of posts, ignoring some good advise hoping he would be given the simple solution or an easy way to do the job, with a life time guarantee. On Day 2 of college we learnt Knock off the render or get the client to do it to see whats beneath it to try and solve the problem rather than just pissing in the wind or making it up. Which funilly enough is what your first solution was oh and before you ask on our first day we learnt how to skim. xxx

My gut feeling is that the wall needs to come down and be re built with blocks. Some jobs are a can of worms and better left to some1 who thinks they know everything.

Alright Bod. I'm quoting on it think it will be a goer, re building a couple of walls at the front of the house this is just another part of the quote you interested?

Unlikely m8, but I'm not touching it until render has been removed and wall has been looked at by surveyor. Plenty of other work to be getting on with...always got to cover your ass on domestic never know whats round the corner.

WOW flynnyman I enjoyed that! Total recall ! What did you do on day 3 ? (LOL)[SUP]n [/SUP]I thought you would have quoted 5262

Last edited:
I'd get a structural engineer around. It seems to me it needs underpinning at the very least. Probably a better option would be to excavate the area and pour a concrete raft under neath with piles going down at least 5 metres. When the concrete has set I'd put up a nice trellis fence with some lovely bushes.

Or you could render it

Status
Not open for further replies.