Your opinions

Members online

No members online now.

daniel

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Afternoon all.

I've just started hacking off the existing render to the gable on this house as the majority is live and heavily cracked.
As you can see from the pictures below what I'm left with is a wall in poor condition with various different bricks, although mainly soft reds.
Because of this poor substrate I'm thinking of now putting EML over the wall rendering to that. I will of course also be raking out the brick joints and will damp the surface down to hopefully also gain a key directly to the brickwork as well as the EML.
I'm also thinking of going this route as the house is situated right in the North Norfolk coast and being a south facing wall is also subject to a lot of differing weather and heat.

Yours thoughts and opinions on this would be gratefully appreciated?

Thanks in advance.

Yep I'd skip the eml
As above a pre bagged render base , with an alkaline mesh. Just to be on the safe side I'd chop any loose areas out or where the different substrates have moved and resin them up first.

How big is the wall? Looks like some of that brickwork has been bodged together. If it's a smallish wall I'd get eml on it. Peace of mind.

Because the chap didn't ask about Webber mesh he asked about eml, because I expect he is more familiar with eml.

That's why we then gave him the opinion that base coat and mesh would be better, if you can EML a wall you can lay some mesh into the render.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's why we then gave him the opinion that base coat and mesh would be better, if you can EML a wall you can lay some mesh into the render.

:lol: It's all a matter of opinion mate, that's what the guy was asking for. Personally I'd eml and render, olican also would render but without eml and pug also happy to render. The rest of you think mesh. Why don't you ask olican and pug why they would dare to have a different opinion to yourself?

:lol: It's all a matter of opinion mate, that's what the guy was asking for. Personally I'd eml and render, olican also would render but without eml and pug also happy to render. The rest of you think mesh. Why don't you ask olican and pug why they would dare to have a different opinion to yourself?

Because I don't want to and because you said he didn't ask about mesh but he clearly asked for 'thoughts and opinions'!

View attachment 12124 View attachment 12123 Afternoon all.

I've just started hacking off the existing render to the gable on this house as the majority is live and heavily cracked.
As you can see from the pictures below what I'm left with is a wall in poor condition with various different bricks, although mainly soft reds.
Because of this poor substrate I'm thinking of now putting EML over the wall rendering to that. I will of course also be raking out the brick joints and will damp the surface down to hopefully also gain a key directly to the brickwork as well as the EML.
I'm also thinking of going this route as the house is situated right in the North Norfolk coast and being a south facing wall is also subject to a lot of differing weather and heat.

Yours thoughts and opinions on this would be gratefully appreciated?

Thanks in advance.

Do loads of these mate, if theres suction is those bricks, sbr then dub out with Weber OCR, or even scratch it fully with OCR, then Weber rend aid, then OCR. Use 10mm beads, Dab them on. In 2 passes you can get upto 25mm. I'd bed fibre mesh in that one in the Rend Aid. Float finish then silicone thin coat, or tyrolean.

Don't bother with a coloured render on that one.

i would use mesh. eml is outdated, as the temp changes metal will expand, crack the render.

I used eml 14 years ago on similar job still looks ok passed it yesterday..
I am behind the times with all the newer prebagged rendering systems just need to get myself a machine first,lol
And about £5000 lol

Genuine question here because I know nothing about modern renders. Is the mesh screwed to the wall like eml would be? Just thinking if the substrate was really crappy would the lot not be in danger of falling off? Admittedly my suggestion of splatterdash could do the same...

Genuine question here because I know nothing about modern renders. Is the mesh screwed to the wall like eml would be? Just thinking if the substrate was really crappy would the lot not be in danger of falling off? Admittedly my suggestion of splatterdash could do the same...
No pug it's bedded in after a bit of gear has covered the wall the mesh comes on big roll and it's squashed into it with spat or trowel

mesh was first used in the ewi systems, later on it became popular in other rendering works.
the mesh needs to be bedded into a base coat, use secondary fixings , mushrooms, to fix mesh to wall . as you will have the weight of the finishing coat hanging onto it.
on a poor quality background, we fit an ewi system.
we also use the mesh on internals, on a poor quality wall, pva, then bed the mesh into a coat of bonding. tightens the wall up to be skimmed.

Reactions: Pug
I've wondered this myself, if you're just bedding the mesh in then, all that's keeping it on is the basecoat, but if the whole point in putting the mesh in is to provide a key then surely just bedding it in wouldn't work

I used eml 14 years ago on similar job still looks ok passed it yesterday..
I am behind the times with all the newer prebagged rendering systems just need to get myself a machine first,lol
And about £5000 lol

the problem with render is that one side of the property takes the heat of the sun in summer then the rain in the winter. so that elevation has a hard life.

the problem with render is that one side of the property takes the heat of the sun in summer then the rain in the winter. so that elevation has a hard life.
Thanks Malc good advise again,appreciated.

Sorry just noticed malcs post about secondary fixings. Can you get small mushroom fixings say 40mm? i've only seen them around 70mm

there are different types and lengths, plastic or stainless steel.
the mesh is not forming the key, it is just to help against cracking. if the suction is high we roll a coat of sbr on just before we apply the bed for the mesh.

Just to add to malcs post, bagged renders are not just sand and cement. There are specific renders for certain substrates.
Modified base coats have additives that help them bond to the substrate so it's not your ordinary sand and cement mix. Most substrates now need little prep work and just a dust down and maybe the odd wetting needed. The render market has moved forward massively in the last decade and modern bagged renders for me are the way forward.
I would bet my life that if some of the older gen who love traditional sand and cement were to use bagged renders for a while and learnt how to work with them they wouldn't think twice about s&c again.

Just to add to malcs post, bagged renders are not just sand and cement. There are specific renders for certain substrates.
Modified base coats have additives that help them bond to the substrate so it's not your ordinary sand and cement mix. Most substrates now need little prep work and just a dust down and maybe the odd wetting needed. The render market has moved forward massively in the last decade and modern bagged renders for me are the way forward.
I would bet my life that if some of the older gen who love traditional sand and cement were to use bagged renders for a while and learnt how to work with them they wouldn't think twice about s&c again.

I agree with you j , I'm late to all this newer stuff it does all get a bit complicated trying to get head around all the different brands and ways..but having said that I will try to push it more on jobs well for now the weber stuff I will.
I not had chance to look into all the Parex etc

Your an interesting man @malc there are few who have the actual knowledge of the trade and why things are done rather than like zombies just do what they was taught mindlessly

It's a fair point,
Hence why they are so many different bagged products from each manufacturer to meet every Senario.