Your opinions

Just to add to malcs post, bagged renders are not just sand and cement. There are specific renders for certain substrates.
Modified base coats have additives that help them bond to the substrate so it's not your ordinary sand and cement mix. Most substrates now need little prep work and just a dust down and maybe the odd wetting needed. The render market has moved forward massively in the last decade and modern bagged renders for me are the way forward.
I would bet my life that if some of the older gen who love traditional sand and cement were to use bagged renders for a while and learnt how to work with them they wouldn't think twice about s&c again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's something I'm keen to get into. I've only used a bag dash receiver once on a job, the customer was good friends with the supplier and got it free, must admit it was great stuff to use. All that puts me off is the cost, to use the full system of base coat and receiver is going to double the cost of material. There's not many if anyone using it in my area so I cant see customers willing to pay for it.

The op may not have a clue what we are on about with ocr etc. Computer buffs talk abbreviated and I don"t have a clue what they are on about.

So in old money talk, apply an sbr slurry with a waterproofed sand and cement scratch coat. Bed into this a modern mesh of at least 6mm preferably 8mm perforations. Apply a second coat of sand and cement but bed mesh again diagonally around the opening corners.

Forget eml thats a render carrier not reinforcing.

But if the op can get a local renderer who is familiar with modern systems then as above. A sticky base render like Weber rend-aid then one or two coats of Weber ocr fully reinforced as described above. No need to rake out the joints and only a slight damping required not a drenching.

I would look at a different company to Weber though. There ocr is too fine for my liking. Maybe Parex or CPI. Grittier the better.

It's something I'm keen to get into. I've only used a bag dash receiver once on a job, the customer was good friends with the supplier and got it free, must admit it was great stuff to use. All that puts me off is the cost, to use the full system of base coat and receiver is going to double the cost of material. There's not many if anyone using it in my area so I cant see customers willing to pay for it.
Try get on one of the courses ,they do one day info training at weber centre I did a couple last year gave a good insight into there systems with a little practical bit at the end , there not to teach you to plaster but to give as much info as they can on the products..
I done a few small jobs handball this year but been offered to go out with a few spreads that do it all the time with machines to get a better real feel for using it on big jobs.

Try get on one of the courses ,they do one day info training at weber centre I did a couple last year gave a good insight into there systems with a little practical bit at the end , there not to teach you to plaster but to give as much info as they can on the products..
I done a few small jobs handball this year but been offered to go out with a few spreads that do it all the time with machines to get a better real feel for using it on big jobs.
I've been to Krend in Larne a few years ago and I went to one done by Johnstone's. To be honest its really only going to be roughcasting i'd be doing, very few houses are rendered here. Although I really like the finish of some of the render systems you guys in England use and would love to do that finish here, but like you say these courses are never going to be good enough to be let loose on a full house. All well and good doing 1 m2 sample panel in controlled conditions

Still just a youngun! I'm ashamed to ask this but it's been bugging me what's silver sand? Just another name for washed?
Silver sand is a fine sand that is really light in colour, I would use it along with white cement to make a bright white background. Not sure if its the same down in England tho

its the cleanest of them all. Lacking iron oxides makes it less prompt to discolouration and staining . @Danny this is what you need for your new adventure :D

Still just a youngun! I'm ashamed to ask this but it's been bugging me what's silver sand? Just another name for washed?

some quarries stock it, silver sand, a washed sand , a bit on the soft side for me but popular for a rubbed up finish. dries a light colour ideal with white cement.

:lol: It's all a matter of opinion mate, that's what the guy was asking for. Personally I'd eml and render, olican also would render but without eml and pug also happy to render. The rest of you think mesh. Why don't you ask olican and pug why they would dare to have a different opinion to yourself?
The sun will contract with the eml and risk cracking
Bedding the mesh is with any render is in my opinion a better option

Just to add to malcs post, bagged renders are not just sand and cement. There are specific renders for certain substrates.
Modified base coats have additives that help them bond to the substrate so it's not your ordinary sand and cement mix. Most substrates now need little prep work and just a dust down and maybe the odd wetting needed. The render market has moved forward massively in the last decade and modern bagged renders for me are the way forward.
I would bet my life that if some of the older gen who love traditional sand and cement were to use bagged renders for a while and learnt how to work with them they wouldn't think twice about s&c again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's getting the cost of materials into the price is the problem I've found, huge difference in material cost compared to traditional materials. I guess that's down to your working area too though.

Thank you for the replies, defiantly makes me realise I need to bring myself up to speed with all the new products and systems on the market.

Finished hacking off the existing render today, certainly is a mess of brickwork behind there. I also ground out the mortar joints with a 10mm wide grinder blade to a depth of around 25mm.

The reason I have done this and originally planned to use EML is that between the 2 I believe I now have a good solid key for the new render which is also mechanicaly fixed to help bear the weight. I appreciate this seems a slow and laborious way of doing things compared to these new systems!

Meantime, why don't you just give it a slurry and two coats. The wall doesn't look so bad, yes the bricks are chipped , but unless there is significant risk or doubts of cracking , mesh is no needed.for a peace of mind you can do with some around the windows.

Mesh will be easier to bed in rather than eml with plug and screws plus you won't have the pain of getting the eml tight with mesh as loads of said mesh is the best way