Your first job on your own?

Who can remeber their first job out on their own?

I did a few but one of them was this bedroom and all the skim had come off and just left sand and cement behind... I thought easy... f**k me I sweated. . It went off like a rocket :)

My first site job I did on my tod I realised I was slow.. . Although I had spent almost 2 years working with 2 other spreads on site. it's only when you are spinning up for yourself and everything... you realise how slow you really are. lol made ok money and worked out how to go quicker but just hated it...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

My first job was on a 300 year old farmhouse plastering a room with a ceiling which was all over the place, was a bit of an eye-opener

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Ahhh the good old days .. Not this hessien tape crap and soft man podger stuff .. My first I remember well 1854 my pal tacked up all the oak lath on ceilings and timber stud walls while I followed with me old lime mix straight out of a wooden Barrow.. First day got 10 rooms done that day.

Ahhh the good old days .. Not this hessien tape crap and soft man podger stuff .. My first I remember well 1854 my pal tacked up all the oak lath on ceilings and timber stud walls while I followed with me old lime mix straight out of a wooden Barrow.. First day got 10 rooms done that day.
Pmsl

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I got locked under stairs with a bucket of skim told don't come out till it's perfect ! Pitch dark skimmed the floor n s**t in the bucket ! No medals awarded that day !

First time I ever layed on was on a big ceiling with my bosses (at the time) mate.

He said hell do it with me but when it was layed on he buggered off and left me to it I panicked like mad but apparently came up alright.

First job I ever done for myself was a normal sized room, he wanted the ceiling borded and the whole room skimmed, I spent a weeks wadges on materials (£150) and charged the bloke £200 for the job. 2 days work and I made £50, not much has changed!

First job I ever did on my own I emptied all my dirty water down his drains, at the end of the day I had my hand down their up to my shoulders breaking out the s**t :) first lesson and I never did it again :)

I done a small job for a joiner. Had to dab about 2m2 and skim about 5m2 I priced it on a metre rate for some reason, think it came to about £40 was first time I bought material, I couldn't believe it when I was like £7 for dab adhesive 4.50 for finish and 4..50 for a board.Only made £25, I can still see the joiners smug face when I told him the price

I was about 6 months into my apprenticeship and I had to patch in both sides where a door way had been blocked up. I was nervous the night before I did the job and I wished i never agreed to do it. I turned up and did my best but I wasn't ready to be doing jobs on my own. Thing I remember most was when I was packing up I left my transformer at the top of the stairs, and the customers son about 3 years old tried to grab it. If he had toppled it over it would have crushed him or knocked him down the stairs. Always remember that. Got paid for the job (not sure if it was because they were happy with the work or because they felt sorry for me?)

Did a ceiling as my 1st job, seemed huge at the time, it wasn't at all. Put both coats on, then learnt about distemper....

I taped and textured the walls in a room at our next door neighbors house when I was 15 yrs old. I'd been working for my Dads company since I was 12 in the summer time & on school breaks, I wasn't as confident as the neighbor was in what I was able to do on my own but I think the out come wasn't too horrible. Now days they'd really get bent out of shape if they found somebody under 18 yrs old on a job. Probably why there's so many slackers around now. Too used to sitting in Mommy's basement playing video games all day as young adults.

I taped and textured the walls in a room at our next door neighbors house when I was 15 yrs old. I'd been working for my Dads company since I was 12 in the summer time & on school breaks, I wasn't as confident as the neighbor was in what I was able to do on my own but I think the out come wasn't too horrible. Now days they'd really get bent out of shape if they found somebody under 18 yrs old on a job. Probably why there's so many slackers around now. Too used to sitting in Mommy's basement playing video games all day as young adults.

Hello :D Hows the US keeping you?

My first job was in march so remember my first job quite cleary, was a victorian halls stairs and landing, it had a corridor down stairs so it made the up the stairs wall really quite big....i wanted @theplasterman to come and help me but he told me to stop being a poof and get it done.

My first job was in march so remember my first job quite cleary, was a victorian halls stairs and landing, it had a corridor down stairs so it made the up the stairs wall really quite big....i wanted @theplasterman to come and help me but he told me to stop being a poof and get it done.

how well did it go?

So in the space of a year you did your course and set up as self employed? Credit where credit is due and your getting regular work from mybuilder which is all feedback based. Fair play (y) that takes some courage.

So in the space of a year you did your course and set up as self employed? Credit where credit is due and your getting regular work from mybuilder which is all feedback based. Fair play (y) that takes some courage.

I think very few survive after a course I am pretty sure something like 1 a month from each school does make it... but I think that has something to do with the individual than the course itself :D

how well did it go?
Went well in the end mate, flapped a bit on that wall but it helped I was painting it too so I knew anything not perfect I had the opportunity to make it good and customer non the wiser

Cheers mate, had a lot of sleepless nights but now more self confident so finally starting to settle into it.....a few months ago skimming a room used to have me tossing and turning all night.

I think very few survive after a course I am pretty sure something like 1 a month from each school does make it... but I think that has something to do with the individual than the course itself :D
I know it'll sound stupid but I still dream every single night about plastering, walls going wrong, walls drying fast, dropping off or drying with trowel marks all over them.....its a tough way to start as you get no chance to build up any self belief....cant wait till it becomes second nature like the experienced lads.

I know it'll sound stupid but I still dream every single night about plastering, walls going wrong, walls drying fast, dropping off or drying with trowel marks all over them.....its a tough way to start as you get no chance to build up any self belief....cant wait till it becomes second nature like the experienced lads.

hahah yeah I remember the sleepless nights...

hahah yeah I remember the sleepless nights...
image.gif

The nightmares about walls setting never goes away lol

Don't you fancy working for another plasterer or in a gang to gain that experience, you've gone right in at the deep end?

Don't you fancy working for another plasterer or in a gang to gain that experience, you've gone right in at the deep end?
Lol but you need to find a good plasterer to work with... that is hard these days...

I worked with 2 plasterers one was terrible plasterer but a good businessman and the other one was a terrible business man but a s**t hot plasterer... was quite funny watching them argue and brawl almost every day ad I would wind them each up.

The funny thing wad that one showed me to use a corner trowel one way and the other showed me the other way... and depending who was watching would mean I would have to do it their way... that was brutal

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Pug

Youl always mess up jobs the for the 5 years or so especially if your going on top of old stuff.

All part of the experience I still loose control of some walls now and then and I been doing it non stop for 6 years and been around it for nearly 10.

It can be pvad and re skimmed again if it all goes wrong

Stuff like rendering can't be so easily rectified though

No definitely not rendering is a whole different ball game. I remember the first gaball I done I didn't sleep for 2 nights before I done it and wasn't settled for a week after.