Would 1 coat be ok?

Members online

Plaster has a chemical set so max you get is 45mins and if there is suction then it is less...

An experienced plasterer can get over anything :D A newby will struggle with plasterboard...

I mean I can only speak from experience but I find plaster is still playable for much longer than 45 minutes

Once I have put the second coat on I keep a bit spare to fill in any scratches or dents and find it is still easy to plaster in for much longer than 45 minutes. It's sort soft wet hard rather than dry hard.

I think the instructions on the Thistle bags say a job should take about 100 minutes

The guidelines on the bag don't cater for every scenario ,different jobs have different suction and drying times, its the same with the water ratio per bag on the instructions, you will learn through time how long plastering takes there is loads to come with experience and time, read the beano when plastering not the bags its more accurate:frenetico:

Scrape or sand the lines out, pva leave to dry, pva again leave to dry, mix up your multi the way you were taught, skim the ceiling, flatten out, the way you were taught, give it a check every 5 mins ,when ready second coat flatten out again, check it every 5 mins to see how its pulling in and trowel accordingly, the way you were taught, try and think back to when your instructor gave advice when you are plastering , your confidence will return when you tackle it again,
If he checks it every 5 minutes he'll be well behind. He doesn't have the skill level to get a full coat on quick enough to have the luxury of standing back and checking his coat. Not discounting the fact that he has swapped virgin board for a badly skimmed high suction surface that presents problems of its own.

I mean I can only speak from experience but I find plaster is still playable for much longer than 45 minutes

Once I have put the second coat on I keep a bit spare to fill in any scratches or dents and find it is still easy to plaster in for much longer than 45 minutes. It's sort soft wet hard rather than dry hard.

I think the instructions on the Thistle bags say a job should take about 100 minutes
You dont have any experience though only an opinion. You are a novice and this situation is beyond you at this stage. Don't try to rectify this by making the same mistake twice with a harder fall. Sand and fill and work on smaller areas where you have more control.

Very true that's why I suggested two coats of pva, to give him a bit of time to get his gear on and flatten it out, the op said he was running out of light etc, I just presumed that if was going for it again he would be better organised, knowing the pitfalls that may lie ahead, once on then check it, I just feel for the guy losing his ceiling, but as you say he aint got the skill level, or I would have suggested a rolling set if it was taking up too quick

You dont have any experience though only an opinion. You are a novice and this situation is beyond you at this stage. Don't try to rectify this by making the same mistake twice with a harder fall. Sand and fill and work on smaller areas where you have more control.

How do you define experience?

I have done many plastering jobs for firends, relatives and some private work and I take on board what more experience plasterers say. That's experience.

And it says on the British Gympsum webiste that setting times can be 90 minutes or longer depending on conditions.

'Setting time is approximately 90 minutes, but finishing times can be extended in low temperatures by 30 minutes or more.'

https://www.british-gypsum.com/product-range/plaster-products/how-to-plaster

So I said it took me about 4 hours

First coat: 90 minutes

2nd coat: 90 minutes

90 plus 90 = 3 hours. Add an extra hour because i made the mix extra wet, that equals 4 hours.

Im sure a pro can do it much quicker and im not claiming to be as good as a pro, but i am claiming plaster is still workable after 90 minutes and British Gypsum who make Thistle multfinish back this up

Last edited:
Very true that's why I suggested two coats of pva, to give him a bit of time to get his gear on and flatten it out, the op said he was running out of light etc, I just presumed that if was going for it again he would be better organised, knowing the pitfalls that may lie ahead, once on then check it, I just feel for the guy losing his ceiling, but as you say he aint got the skill level, or I would have suggested a rolling set if it was taking up too quick

The biggest mistake I made was starting at about 3 in the afternoon and not taking into account fading daylight in a room that is already fairly dark. And then i had to rely on two bedside lights for light which was not adequate at all. I wont be starting that late again.

• Agree
Reactions: tcd

I have done many plastering jobs for firends, relatives and some private work and I take on board what more experience plasterers say. That's experience.

And it says on the British Gympsum webiste that setting times can be 90 minutes or longer depending on conditions.

'Setting time is approximately 90 minutes, but finishing times can be extended in low temperatures by 30 minutes or more.'

First set: 90 minutes

2nd set: 90 minutes

90 plus 90 = 3 hours. Add an extra hour because i made the mix extra wet, that equals 4 hours.

Im sure a pro can do it much quicker and im not claiming to be as good as a pro, but i am claiming plaster is still workable after 90 minutes and British Gypsum who make Thistle multfinish back this up
Define experience, knowledge, thats it.

After all I said about not one coating, I went and 1coated two small walls today.
Not really by choice, I was using up some leftover from the ceiling but then spent so long arsing about round the light fittings, smokes etc that the bucket went off. Couldn't be arsed doing another mix.

Do as I say not as I do :confused:

After all I said about not one coating, I went and 1coated two small walls today.
Not really by choice, I was using up some leftover from the ceiling but then spent so long arsing about round the light fittings, smokes etc that the bucket went off. Couldn't be arsed doing another mix.

Do as I say not as I do :confused:

Did it come out ok?

Smooth as.
Needed a bit of sponge work. Was quietly relieved considering one wall was gritted. If worst came to worst I could have whisked a small mix up but needed to get away.

You sound keen.
Stop worrying dont cut corners. Two coat work. Learners tend to over troweling when wet and get know where .Instead letting the board take it in. Isue of timing. Returning back to the ceiling. Using little water.when final troweling. To reduce over troweling. Or you will have lines. And a tired arm.

You sound keen.
Stop worrying dont cut corners. Two coat work. Learners tend to over troweling when wet and get know where .Instead letting the board take it in. Isue of timing. Returning back to the ceiling. Using little water.when final troweling. To reduce over troweling. Or you will have lines. And a tired arm.
Overboard and scim . Start at first light.
Or get a miners hat with a torch on it. lol.

Im not being funny but you've been told by several people youll struggle skimming it . Let alone one coating.
Ive been doing it since i was 17 and im 52 and i wouldn't even try one coating over a plastered ceiling. I think youll struggle 2 coating it

We've all worked for blokes who stand here the whole time telling us

Yeah I used to work for plasterers when I was younger

I'd have done it myself but I'm too busy

Well this is what happens when they try it. You'll probably find your other work looks ok due to poor lighting, not the other way around. Plastering isnt a diy job.

First coat: 90 minutes

2nd coat: 90 minutes

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, experience is not putting it in the fruit bowel.