worse trade ever! nowadays

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the best why?

he was asking various ways to fill chases, when I said summat like "" WTF are you on about, its filling chases a monkey can do that, a few people jumped in saying leave him alone etc, now this whatever he is is pricing jobs and working out of his car, and we wonder why prices are down...

Talking To my father who is now 70 and been plastering since he was 15...about the way things are for plasterers in general nowadays, he said back in the day the majority of site agents and builders were ex tradesmen mainly bricklayers, they appreciated how plastering was a tough game and that they were treated with a great deal of respect from other trades..he said you almost ran the job how you wanted it to be,no-one left the excess materials for you to clear up,no snots on walls, all timber straight,block work spot on...the point is a job ran by ex tradesman knew the correct procedure,the guys today that aren't in the trade running jobs are college taught straight out of some **** book,who know the best part of nothing on how to plaster and how tough it really is ...knobs the lot of em! He told me a story of when they had to screed a house and a chippy had left a box of nails on the floor which was to be screeded,we'll he asked the chippy to come and move them out their way ..he waited ..chippy boy didn't move them so they screeded around the box...made me chuckle the arrogant old c##t...

More like 140-150, 120 is a ten year old day rate
It is I was on that in 98 and I am still on that now.found an old invoice the other day and was on £3m2 skim only.what pisses me off is that when the times were good they didn't go to £4 so when the recession hit they could have put it back to £3.£120 is actually a good rate on site because I refuse to do it for £2 which a lot of the ***** are paying and the young lads just work they're b*ll***s off to earn just a bit more.sorry boys but an early grave awaits you working like that.but hey what do I know every plasterer won't get out of bed for less than a grand a week

Barryed I thought there was quite a bit of work on down your way ?my mates been there before xmas stayed in a hotel that's like an ocean liner can't remember name

I've been trying for years Barry it's a trap. It's so hard to get out of this trade. Somehow or other you end up with a trowel in your hand again.

I went reping for a pest control co. never again! Been on the taxi,s. Well maybe again but only for a week or two.

Even property developing is graft you are against time and high auction finance interest rates. Then nothing until the next house so back on the trowel (or taxi's) to kill the boredom.

Do any spreads on here still do float and set on houses , the last time I done floating was on a bathroom 3 years ago.

That's what im talking about schools , hospitals etc you need decent spreads ,houses dot and dab any bluff can chance it, we're fighting a losing battle

Can't remember last time I saw a house being floated ,did some in a communial area on some flats about 18 mnths ago other than that get odd bit of limelite for council but they are not using that as often now using d&d

There's work. The rates on sites however are shocking I stay well clear of that. Getting paid off builders is getting harder and harder to get on time. I reckon if I put asuch time into pushing trolleys round a supermarket car park as I did to plastering I'd be on the same money without the stress

Your prob right mate ,they take the p on sites with rates and I don't like how a lot are paying monthly now imagine trying to get your corn off them if they go bump ,I was on monthly pay for my last firm we got paid every six weeks in the end I said office working to martian months now??

Do any spreads on here still do float and set on houses , the last time I done floating was on a bathroom 3 years ago.
Float and set majority of house I do,as spec from builders...tough coat generally but had a big bungalow to float last year in sand and cement..labourer broke down in floods of tears when 15tonne of sand was tipped up...lol

Float and set majority of house I do,as spec from builders...tough coat generally but had a big bungalow to float last year in sand and cement..labourer broke down in floods of tears when 15tonne of sand was tipped up...lol
Those were the days :RpS_wub: when men were men and sheep were scared

Those were the days :RpS_wub: when men were men and sheep were scared

Yeh....before dot and dab. 2 spreads and 1 lab. Browning in the morning and skim in the afternoon. A Ritmo now spraying hard wall oh the joy. Until we all get Ritmo then the rates will have to come down.

in the supermarket queue tonight and two blokes in front was talking about work. Both had degrees and was complaining that there wages was low. One was in law and said he is earning now what he earned in 1984 and the other has took a 40% cut for job security.

so we are not on our own.

Also,showed him how to build a hod stand!!! He thought I was taking the piss! Why the **** would you carry muck in that thing ..meaning the hod....better than buckets boy....had to keep two spreads on price going when I was a lad, ******* hard graft, but, all said and done at least they've done it aswell and knew how tough carrying that ******* hod was

I do a lot of it down here always have, its usually on job specs a lot on old renovations here but dot n dab when get the chance not as good but much quicker .

yes cathal .
i would rather use them myself less labour intensive but their words are "we are going back to sand and cement plastering and floor screeds"

yes cathal .
i would rather use them myself less labour intensive but their words are "we are going back to sand and cement plastering and floor screeds"

They are tight buggers!

Sand and cement is a lot physically harder than Gypsum. But the labour rate will be the same. They are simply saving on material costs.

Most of us probably have some European blood in us. My surname originates from the norman bridge builders and my great grandfather was Irish. wife's great grandma was Irish and great great grandfather was Swedish. The world is getting smaller and people are moving around.

I need a new spread. My spread of 12 years is getting so abusive. He needs to get in the real world and realise what side his bread is buttered on. Any race so long as they can render.

Deleted those and where it was quoted...

Hit the report post button as that gets emailed to me as I dont get the notifications on my PC and that is where I spend most of my days :)

They are tight buggers!

Sand and cement is a lot physically harder than Gypsum. But the labour rate will be the same. They are simply saving on material costs.
yeah you are wright as they said that to me! was thinking of a machine but could they be used for inside rendering ?and would it be worth it! and before anyone says a ritmo they will not pay for bagged s/c

Status
Not open for further replies.