Intensive Courses.....again

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlewinguk

Before everyone rolls their eyes ;-) i know this may have been asked lots of times before, but perhaps i can put a different slant on it....

Others have asked in the past whether an intensive plastering course, 5 or 10 days, perhaps C&G accredited, could get them a plastering job where they can set up on their own etc etc

Well, although this might be my aim eventually, i am more realistic and appreciate that plastering comes with practice and more practice.

I am 32, with mortgage, bankrupt last year, 3 children. So, as you can imagine, i cant get finance, can barely pay my mortgage, and to add to that am in an office job that i hate. I really hate.
I have been a Security engineer before, CCTV, Alarms etc, but dont want to go back into that. However, i am handy, can use tools, can do a fair bit in my house and will tackle most things.
I dont mind sitting down a researching things first etc

So onto the question - if i was to save and pay for one of these courses, perhaps, £500-£1000, would i be able to come out, practice on my own house to a decent standard ( i dont mind knocking the plaster off some walls to get practice), perhaps do family and friends for little or no money, and then perhaps do some weekend small jobs, or take a few days holiday and do some small jobs, to gain experience and extra money?
Could i realistically pay off the course over a few months by doing some local work? Id be honest with people, tell them i was newly "qualified" and i wouldn't take on anything i couldnt do.
I would also pay for liability insurance - i dont want to be a cow boy.

I cannot do this office job any longer - i want to be trained in something, i want to learn, but i cant just jack it in and be an apprentice - i need £1500 a month after tax. So my only way seems to be to do a course, earn extra on the side until such a time as my finances perhaps allow a break from office work
There are no colleges in my area offering part time evening or weekend courses.
I have checked local advertising and while there are a few plasterers around, there arent thousands so there could be an opening for someone to do small jobs. I dont mind even doing handy man type things

Im just desperate to retrain and work hard, and earn more eventually

What do you think?

Also, i have access to a van and ladders if required, so outlay on those things isnt required.
I just need help - ive got to try something

Welcome to the forum, and if you give me a grand I will train you on site for two weeks and still get you a c&g in solid plastering,, better than any course you could do.

Thanks for the offer. I will have to save, so cant guarantee it will be soon, but thats the type of encouragement im after. I just dont want to shell out a load of cash (and it is a lot to someone in my circumstances) and find it was a waste of time

welcome mate and good luck, warriors offer is a very good one, if you can get ya hands on a grand id go for it

just a quick question,,, how have you got a mortgage if you was bankrupt last year

to get into plastering now is suicidal mate, the building will be kinda slow until the recession blows away and everything picks up. people at the mo are mainly only getting work coz of reputation and that is what is most likely gonna carry the lucky ones through. I would stay where you are if you can manage your bills with that job then wait for a few years.

Little wing not being funny but we would all like to do something with our lives at the mo and it just isn't happening, live the dream mate but you have to get on with it after and I'm not being funny I'm sure you've read a few posts you will not be a plasterer full stop
The lads that probably got on with courses and made a living and I bet are still ropey no matter what they say did it during the boom, you're competing with skilled tradesman earning peanuts

Throw you're money down the drain you lot just haven't got a ******* clue

Times are very very hard right now mate, do a course if you really feel the need, but I think you would struggle to make great money, stick with what you got just now, you might hate your job right now but I don't think the grass will be greener if you jump ship. Have to agree with spunk money down the drain

welcome mate and good luck, warriors offer is a very good one, if you can get ya hands on a grand id go for it

just a quick question,,, how have you got a mortgage if you was bankrupt last year

You can still keep your house and mortgage if made bankrupt if there is no or negative equity in the property. They won't sell it if they can't make money off it. If it stays in negative equity until January then they sign their interest in the property away and there's no more risk of having the house taken off me if I keep up with mortgage payments.

Just be happy to have the job you've got marra.......if it pays the bills sit tight......surely you can think of better things to blow a grand on............like your creditor's maybe???

Little wing not being funny but we would all like to do something with our lives at the mo and it just isn't happening, live the dream mate but you have to get on with it after and I'm not being funny I'm sure you've read a few posts you will not be a plasterer full stop
The lads that probably got on with courses and made a living and I bet are still ropey no matter what they say did it during the boom, you're competing with skilled tradesman earning peanuts

Throw you're money down the drain you lot just haven't got a ******* clue

But if he's gonna throw it down a drain I would rather it were mine

Plus he'd learn a lot more with me than he would with Steve

Truth though Render systems is a product of today's construction society, get em trained get em in cheap he tells everyone how great his work force is the work gets ****** up he doesn't get paid promises the earth to the lads that work for him doesn't pay them because he's gone over himself with promises gets his house smashed up claims on the insurance comes back to no work and hopefully ends up killing himself :)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hahaha:RpS_lol::RpS_lol: just as well he's blocked you spunky:RpS_thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.