Working away from home

Members online

No members online now.

Hawk&Trowel

How many of you work away from home Monday - Friday, curious to hear how you get on not seeing partners kids ect, I myself am heading over to London on 23rd and will be doing this, is it worth it?

Used to do it on a regular basis but now I only do it once or twice a year. I miss the kids too much

used to.doit but knocked it on the head. you end up spending the extra you earn.

ill only doit again if its short as in 2 or 3 weeks and really worth the while

Everyone's different I always liked to get away,I'd miss the young lad,could live without the woman no problem.Has to be worth it money wise though.

if your doing it for the money forget about it.
You always end up spending a fortune.
And if you think about the hours worked and the travel there and back etc , you would get the same money at home working 12 hour shifts

I did mon to weds last week, not worked away in about 5 years and I hated it. Worked from 6am u til 10.15pm on the Tuesday, im still trying to catch my breath now lol. It's not worth it, unless your in London earning mega bucks. I was in Birmingham on about 40 quid a day more than usual, I'm not going again

if your doing it for the money forget about it.
You always end up spending a fortune.
And if you think about the hours worked and the travel there and back etc , you would get the same money at home working 12 hour shifts
I see your point I am sorted accommodation wise as I will be staying with aunt and uncle so I won't be charged much rent if any as they know I am doing it to get a few £££ saved up.

Everyone's different I always liked to get away,I'd miss the young lad,could live without the woman no problem.Has to be worth it money wise though.
Only reason I am doing it is for the money, and with little to be spent on accommodation I should be able to get ahead

it does cost money to work away with the up keep of 2 homes. travelling time lost and fuel used. the last time we went to France we earned a weeks wages every day each.
London is so hit and miss as regards wages. a waste of time in poor areas. Holland park or Chelsea areas you should be ok.,

Done it years ago, on and off for a 3 months working near Kings Cross staying in a b&b had to share a room with two gezzers (company was paying)(SERS) who after going on the a heavy drinking session like you do when staying away, woke up 1 Friday morning to both off them trying to dry there mattresses as they had pissed themselves during the night ! Can't say I miss them days.

Done it years ago, on and off for a 3 months working near Kings Cross staying in a b&b had to share a room with two gezzers (company was paying)(SERS) who after going on the a heavy drinking session like you do when staying away, woke up 1 Friday morning to both off them trying to dry there mattresses as they had pissed themselves during the night ! Can't say I miss them days.
Lol know a few lads who have a habit of pissing in the wardrobe after a been on the beer

Last edited:
Go and try it for a bit, all part of life experiences etc. A lot is down to who you are working with and staying with, so if you're with family, then embrace it, keep your head down and focussed and don't forget to phone home!!

Did it years ago.....hated it, but needed the work.
Absence makes the heart grow fonder......early dart Fridays....bottle of prosecco for her indoors, couple of cans for me, a takeaway, put little 'un to beddybyes....and shag like swingers for the rest of the night!!......
It worked out ok for me, but wouldn't do it now.

How many of you work away from home Monday - Friday, curious to hear how you get on not seeing partners kids ect, I myself am heading over to London on 23rd and will be doing this, is it worth it?

Depends entirely on you and the mrs.

My old man was a sailor. I don't think my parents would be together had they not spent so much time apart and valued the time that they did have.

I was a soldier for many years. Went out with a girl for most of that time and adored her but when I left, I very quickly found that I couldn't stand her, let alone love her.

I've always been a free spirited type - at the time of writing, I haven't been home for five months because I can't be arsed.

Others fall to bits at a hint of separation.

Horses for courses.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder......early dart Fridays....bottle of prosecco for her indoors, couple of cans for me, a takeaway, put little 'un to beddybyes....and shag like swingers for the rest of the night!!......

Hahaha brilliant, going to give it a shot for a year see how things work out. Hopefully for the better. My little one and the misses can come over as much as I will be going home so it might not be all that bad.

Hahahahahahaha

Got a few working away trips planned myself over next 12 months, not full time, just odd weeks , tbh I not looking forward to being away from home but my mate does working away all the time he loves it ,suppose you won't know till you're tried it .

I once pissed in my bag with all my work gear in it after drinking with the lads while working at Wigan hospital. Couldn't understand why my stuff was wet first thing in the morning I was feeling all around for leaks under sink, celing, floor couldn't find any. Then the reality sank in as I realised it not only was wet but reeked of piss. Had to work in my normal clothes then go to Travis to get some new gear, it was only s Wednesday

Done it once never again digs were alright but site shut at 5pm so always ended up on the piss

Correct.

That's the trick to working away - don't spend it all on the lash.
But when outside and it's raining you always seem to end up in pub I got on well with bloke I worked with til we worked away and had to share a flat together he got right on my tits

yeah meant to be better off not a busmans holiday :D

Nothing wrong with busman's holidays if that was the plan from the beginning.

I had one on Harris and Lewis, Western Isles/Outer Hebrides at the beginning of the year.

A look at the Milky Way that's not possible anywhere near a town, whisky and peat fires, seals, Atlantic fury occasionally, and stunning views when the weather was good.

Came away eventually £1500 up after I'd got there and back, eaten and drank.

Not a fortune for 3 weeks, but I'd travelled and seen things that I wouldn't have otherwise, met interesting people of a different culture ( Unlike in the army, I didn't have to kill them).

Couldn't be happier that I did it.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with busman's holidays if that was the plan from the beginning.

I had one on Harris and Lewis, Western Isles/Outer Hebrides at the beginning of the year.

A look at the Milky Way that's not possible anywhere near a town, whisky and peat fires, seals, Atlantic fury occasionally, and stunning views when the weather was good.

Came away eventually £1500 up after I'd got there and back, eaten and drank.

Not a fortune for 3 weeks, but I'd travelled and seen things that I wouldn't have otherwise, met interesting people of a different culture ( Unlike in the army, I didn't have to kill them).

Couldn't be happier that I did it.

oh yes but that is slightly different to clacton or skegness :D

ive worked all over the country in digs in my 20s........met some good people and been to many differnt towns n cities.
settled at home with the family now.
but it is nice to still have a little holiday away now and then.;)

oh yes but that is slightly different to clacton or skegness :D

Clacton or Skegness it wasn't.

I found a couple of pics. The road to Skye is devastating.

Skye itself is s**t. A bit like Mars with some scrubby grass. If you're ever tempted, keep driving to Uig and get the boat to the islands.

The Man gave me whisky and haggis and Stornoway Black Pudding and square sausage and £1500 to come here.

upload_2017-8-16_19-10-36.png

The road to Skye.

upload_2017-8-16_19-11-54.png

The view from The Man's garden while I was drinking his whisky.