Why are quotes all over the shop?

Members online

No members online now.
It's not just that they don't want to spend money Mos, from my experience their attitude stinks.. I like Indians.. But very few Pakistanis.. Although one of my best friends is half one and half English, she doesn't have great things to say about Pakistan.

You come across like a decent guy however people do steer clear of 'Asians' and it is quite fair to do so as they have often been stung and or robbed from them.. I know many decorators, electricians, mechanics, plumbers, roofers etc/ and none of them will even answer the phone or return a voicemail if they think it's a Pakistani.. It may not be nice to hear but it's the truth and it's not just trades that think it.

One of the best customers I've had on the other hand was an I****n family.. Sadly for them they often get thrown into the same bracket as to us it's hard to tell where they are from on an initial meeting.

Yes, many people do avoid Pakistani customers.

The haggling that so often comes with it is just more bother than it's worth, extra jobs, begging for discounts, wives not answering the door because the husband isn't in. Penny pinching on the job, out of date bags of gear that they got off the brother in law...All sorts of shite.

It's just not worth the hassle.

Yeah totally see this happening. It is 1st gen behaviour this, it's improving.... Slowly....

Why is it you hardly if ever come across Asian tradesmen . I’ve come across women and black plasterers but in over 22 years in this game never seen an Asian plasterer . They either have academic jobs or work in the shell garage

Why is it you hardly if ever come across Asian tradesmen . I’ve come across women and black plasterers but in over 22 years in this game never seen an Asian plasterer . They either have academic jobs or work in the shell garage

I think they look down their nose at manual labour.. They think they're above it, hence the attitude.

I don’t live there, but know the area. I’m sure there’s some rough areas in your town or city, it’s no different really.
Massive difference because I don’t live in a shithole area, There’s probably a few dickheads in town but I wouldn’t know. I live in the countryside mate so it’s mostly snobs where I am. Lol

Last edited:
It's not just that they don't want to spend money Mos, from my experience their attitude stinks.. I like Indians.. But very few Pakistanis.. Although one of my best friends is half one and half English, she doesn't have great things to say about Pakistan.

You come across like a decent guy however people do steer clear of 'Asians' and it is quite fair to do so as they have often been stung and or robbed from them.. I know many decorators, electricians, mechanics, plumbers, roofers etc/ and none of them will even answer the phone or return a voicemail if they think it's a Pakistani.. It may not be nice to hear but it's the truth and it's not just trades that think it.

One of the best customers I've had on the other hand was an I****n family.. Sadly for them they often get thrown into the same bracket as to us it's hard to tell where they are from on an initial meeting.

Thanks for that insight, it's helpful to know what people are thinking but not saying, you can then find a solution.

You sound v level headed but I totally understand when people wanna avoid certain customers/jobs/situations....sounds like risk management to me and that's totally your prerogative.

Hahaha... Funny fkr!!!
I'm back now anyways...I only got 71 virgins. Was promised 72.... I had a funny feeling something wasnt right, so I walked away...

I did the right thing, yeah?
I like your sense of humour. I thought it was 99 virgins :lol:

I think they look down their nose at manual labour.. They think they're above it, hence the attitude.

Yes. This.

On the I****n subcontinent, people are sorted into castes which were closely aligned with occupation, like classes but more stratfied and more pernicious. The lowest castes had manual labour. So yes, manual labour is to be avoided as it makes the family seem less "noble". First point.

Second point. Higher education was seen as a more surefire way of getting your kids into a reliable well-paying job. Lawyers, dentist, doctors, optometrists yada yada...

On this subject, the crux of the problem is that it's very insular community and when a family see one family doing well, they all jump on the bandwagon. Incidentally this is why wages in certain sectors have dropped due to a bigger influx of labour. So insular community + limited other opportunities in the North + latent racism means it's seen as very high risk to explore other careers.

However, I have seen a growing number of Asian tradespeople. Builder that did my extension was of Sikh heritage. Ironically though, most well off Asian people will not employ Asian tradespeople because they fear the labor will be of lower standard than if they went with a white fellow who is likely to have heritage and years of experience in that trade that they will bring to bear on the job.

So as you can see this creates a vicious cycle. If Asian tradespeople aren't given a break or are constantly knocked down in price by their own kin then they have no chance to thrive and there is no incentive for anyone to follow them into the trade.

Fun fact , I know a seek sparky who used to do all the refurbs I was doing and even he said he’d not work for pakistanis.

On thing is positive about the post people are finding it harder to find a plasterer to work for peanuts...that says the ball is in our side of the court. Keep the rates high lads we work f*cking hard and have lots of overheads. £200 a day is 10 years ago...£250 minimum...£300 is a fair days graft.

Yeah you're bang on the money here.
This is a fundamental principle.

Keep pushing your rates, keep testing the market, otherwise you might find you're stuck on the same rate as 10 years ago and just undercutting your peers.

This applies to any business.

Hey mo can I ask why are a lot of I****n restaurants run by Pakistanis ? It it because they will get less trade if their business was named Pakistani restaurant. Just curious because my local I****n restaurant is

My overall point about Pakistanis' attitude and behaviour being this:

Look at like this: Say England one day exports all the chavs, travellers, the odd unapprehended fraudster etc etc to Canada

The Canadians would get a very bad impression of English people... But it would be wrong to assume all English people are longer that, just most of the ones they encounter in Canada will be! Same thing here. I've already explained the difference between Pakistanis and others from the Subcontinent who have settled in the UK.

Look at like this: Say England one day exports all the chavs, travellers, the odd unapprehended fraudster etc etc to Canada

The Canadians would get a very bad impression of English people... But it would be wrong to assume all English people are longer that, just most of the ones they encounter in Canada will be! Same thing here. I've already explained the difference between Pakistanis and others from the Subcontinent who have settled in the UK.

welcome to the forum mate :birra:

So we’ve ended up with chavvy Pakistanis ?

Hey mo can I ask why are a lot of I****n restaurants run by Pakistanis ? It it because they will get less trade if their business was named Pakistani restaurant. Just curious because my local I****n restaurant is

Lol, yes and no

Restaurants sell food, ambience and service. No one really gives a s**t what they're called.

Back at the time of independence Pakistan was really an artificial country, it had no heritage. It was just created. Prior to independence it was all India. Back when these restaurants were first opened 50s 60s etc, many English people may not have known what "Pakistan" was therefore how do you describe yourself? ..."I****n restaurant" became a marketable term. Plus India conjured up images of the exotic... As time went on it stuck. Why change it? People now know what they're getting when they go into an I****n even though the food would be the same if it was called Pakistani. The food between the two countries is very similar so it's not deceptive.

What's more interesting is that until recently most I****n restaurants were called I****n, owned by Pakistanis and the chefs were Bangladeshi (they were the cheapest source of skilled labor).

So we’ve ended up with chavvy Pakistanis ?

Yep, think about it- why would you leave your native country if you already had a skill, trade, business, home?

However, many decent, gifted people have beginnings in council estates and go on to greatness!!

Lol, yes and no

Restaurants sell food, ambience and service. No one really gives a s**t what they're called.

Back at the time of independence Pakistan was really an artificial country, it had no heritage. It was just created. Prior to independence it was all India. Back when these restaurants were first opened 50s 60s etc, many English people may not have known what "Pakistan" was therefore how do you describe yourself? ..."I****n restaurant" became a marketable term. Plus India conjured up images of the exotic... As time went on it stuck. Why change it? People now know what they're getting when they go into an I****n even though the food would be the same if it was called Pakistani. The food between the two countries is very similar so it's not deceptive.

What's more interesting is that until recently most I****n restaurants were called I****n, owned by Pakistanis and the chefs were Bangladeshi (they were the cheapest source of skilled labor).
You know your stuff mo I could talk to you all day . When my grandad came over from India in the late 40s he worked in our local colliery as a miner . He was proper dodgy though . He went back to India for a false birth certificate so he could retire early in the uk

Yes. This.

On the I****n subcontinent, people are sorted into castes which were closely aligned with occupation, like classes but more stratfied and more pernicious. The lowest castes had manual labour. So yes, manual labour is to be avoided as it makes the family seem less "noble". First point.

Second point. Higher education was seen as a more surefire way of getting your kids into a reliable well-paying job. Lawyers, dentist, doctors, optometrists yada yada...

On this subject, the crux of the problem is that it's very insular community and when a family see one family doing well, they all jump on the bandwagon. Incidentally this is why wages in certain sectors have dropped due to a bigger influx of labour. So insular community + limited other opportunities in the North + latent racism means it's seen as very high risk to explore other careers.

However, I have seen a growing number of Asian tradespeople. Builder that did my extension was of Sikh heritage. Ironically though, most well off Asian people will not employ Asian tradespeople because they fear the labor will be of lower standard than if they went with a white fellow who is likely to have heritage and years of experience in that trade that they will bring to bear on the job.

So as you can see this creates a vicious cycle. If Asian tradespeople aren't given a break or are constantly knocked down in price by their own kin then they have no chance to thrive and there is no incentive for anyone to follow them into the trade.

You're reinforcing the I****n point here to some degree.

Indians do NOT like to be associated with Pakistan. If you try to be polite and call an I****n an Asian, he'll probably make sure you understand that he's I****n.

Wank building practice, wank business practice and treating tradesmen like shite is uniquely Pakistani way of doing things.

In fact, I will donate a pound to Al Qaeda if anyone comes on behind me and says that an I****n was ever a c**t to work for.

You know your stuff mo I could talk to you all day . When my grandad came over from India in the late 40s he worked in our local colliery as a miner . He was proper dodgy though . He went back to India for a false birth certificate so he could retire early in the uk

Hahaha!!

Yeah....!! Gee whizz, the dodginess was off the scale in those days.. My dad even had someone else do his driving tests cos all ***** looked the same to a white man whilst he banging out a 12hr after in the textiles mill!

Even know of people who brought nieces and nephews as their own kids so they could max out the child benefit and get in to the UK visa-free. Win-win.

Plenty of people did what your granddad did, but for women I don't think it was always so calculated- there were no records and so it was guesswork as to their real age.

Moral of the story though any system that relies on trust WILL get abused.

Hi Mo and thanks for filling us in on your honesty about cultural differences. But you also can see and understand it from our point.

Thought Andy G posts could go into pages bit he has competition here!

You're reinforcing the I****n point here to some degree.

Indians do NOT like to be associated with Pakistan. If you try to be polite and call an I****n an Asian, he'll probably make sure you understand that he's I****n.

Wank building practice, wank business practice and treating tradesmen like shite is uniquely Pakistani way of doing things.

In fact, I will donate a pound to Al Qaeda if anyone comes on behind me and says that an I****n was ever a c**t to work for.

Look what you've done now. We're gonna get GCHQ following this thread now..

Hi Mo and thanks for filling us in on your honesty about cultural differences. But you also can see and understand it from our point.

Thought Andy G posts could go into pages bit he has competition here!

Oh yeah definitely, I'm taking lots away. I get it.

Look what you've done now. We're gonna get GCHQ following this thread now..

They have a good eye on Bradistan anyway.

Half the Taliban are from Burnley.
Also some loony wannabe-terrorist is gonna end up on a plastering forum next time they Google Al-Qaeda.

You should be Ahmed...I mean ashamed.

The good thing about them boys is that they like being killed so they don't pick up any experience.

Not like them wily Irish terrorists who cunningly tried to survive. Until the SAS caught up with them that is.

Burnleys a worse shithole than Bradford.

Not sure about the Taliban thing though.

The Taliban itself is a proper mindfuck of an organisation.

They funnel money into these villages in remote areas in Afghanistan & Pakistan, eventually the local economy become dependent on them.

They setup religious schools since there's no educational system out there and start brainwashing these kids with a violent ideology under the guise of Islamic texts -like f**k any of these kids or their parents can even read never mind understand medieval Arabic texts. None is allowed to question anything.

Kids grow up, adding loyal followers to the cult. They have kids of their own. Rinse and repeat.
Endless violence and mayhem ensues.

Interesting thing is Pakistani army and govt keep these schools of jihadis open and running under the guise of providing an education but really so they can use the the recruits and jihadis as a bullwark and leverage against other regional adversaries like India and Afghanistan. It's quid pro quo.
The Americans sanction this so long as Pakistan promises not to align with Russia and is prepared to send the Taliban in as mercenary force against Russian puppets in Central Asia.

Endless kids go into the meat grinder... But it's just geopolitics so long as someone else's kids...

I find pikey.s hardest people to work for

Are u mad I did s**t loads of work for them no problem getting the money. Even try paying me up in full b4 I started job. They will try haggle with you when you first price. But all you have to say to them is do u not have the money. They don't like that lol they will pull the cash out there and then lol.

Are u mad I did s**t loads of work for them no problem getting the money. Even try paying me up in full b4 I started job. They will try haggle with you when you first price. But all you have to say to them is do u not have the money. They don't like that lol they will pull the cash out there and then lol.

Class pivot that lad. Linguistic Judo.