Why are quotes all over the shop?

Members online

No members online now.
Four walls a day and that's yer lot from me.

It is what it is and I'm not ashamed of it. I have other talents.
Nothing wrong with that mate , I think you've got an envious job getting decent money for it, a lot of spreads who are bored as fk doing it day in day out would love the variety

Nothing wrong with that mate , I think you've got an envious job getting decent money for it, a lot of spreads who are bored as fk doing it day in day out would love the variety

I love the work mate.

It's just finding shitholes to turn around that's the problem.

If you fellas get thin then you can always do site work. That's not an option for me because I got no cards.

I love the work mate.

It's just finding shitholes to turn around that's the problem.

If you fellas get thin then you can always do site work. That's not an option for me because I got no cards.
I told you about the sheltered housing / care home flats "turnaround", any progress in that direction , you'll get good work once your established

It's a good finish, smooth as baby's backside. Plan to have all veluxes slightly ajar and doors wide open during the day.

Hoping to get some paint on this Saturday. What do you think- too ambitious?
paint it now with the right paint.

45m2? No chance on my own.. definitely not at 2.8m, would possibly do it if was scaffolded out.
I find that most interesting , I'm an over skimmer and rarely get rooms that big but thought most reasonably fit spreads would love it , two of those a day would pay well

I find that most interesting , I'm an over skimmer and rarely get rooms that big but thought most reasonably fit spreads would love it , two of those a day would pay well

I'm a short arse so struggle a bit as need higher hop ups than most etc/

I could cope with a 40m2 ceiling but wouldn't want to do two a day.. not every day anyway, would only have to work a couple of days a week if you did!

I could cope with a 40m2 ceiling but wouldn't want to do two a day.. not every day anyway, would only have to work a couple of days a week if you did!
I'm too old to do it day in day out and apart from the boredom factor I'd probably pull a muscle but I'd do it till my money's stacked enough , waste of time having a lab as solo , I use 1 bag buckets , tip next bag in 5 min before I need to mix it , whisks up real quick

Big Chris in IOM. 6ft 7 went home and told his dad he was gonna be a bricklayer.

Dad twatted him and made him be a plasterer that doesn't need a hopup

Last edited:
I'm busy for the rest of the year and collect dramatic photos along the way.
Get good contacts for gas and sparks so they sub off you , the managers of these set ups want a one number contact

Oh I know. Sub out everyone and stick a hundred quid on their bill
Many do but get carried away , stick to doing everything else yourself , its important to get on top of working in that environment , dealing with elderly , health and safety etc just being friendly , considerate is a big advantage . a complex of 50 flats plus and word of mouth with the manager happy you will avoid dealing with tight fisted bodge it landlords

Many do but get carried away , stick to doing everything else yourself , its important to get on top of working in that environment , dealing with elderly , health and safety etc just being friendly , considerate is a big advantage . a complex of 50 flats plus and word of mouth with the manager happy you will avoid dealing with tight fisted bodge it landlords

That's it. Charge enough to do it properly and take your time.

Be relaxed and professional.

That's it. Charge enough to do it properly and take your time.

Be relaxed and professional.
When someone pops their clogs , sorting a vacant flat unbelievably the last thing on peoples minds , the flat costs both the customer and the complex management money from day 1

When someone pops their clogs , sorting a vacant flat unbelievably the last thing on peoples minds , the flat costs both the customer and the complex management money from day 1
I started out as a general labourer for a one man housebuilder in 1991.

Uncle Earnie from county Tyrone.

A plasterer by trade but a housebuilder by profession.

He still haunts me.

Faster son.

Work harder son.

8 tons of concrete son? When I was 16 I was doing a hundred tons a day.

I really struggle to keep my gob shut around the customer and slow things down.

Why are you folks soo crazy?

I've received quotes ranging from £1200 all the way to £4500!

Some think materials will cost around £1000 whilst others think they'll be £350.

I've had to approach 20 plasterers to get 4 to even come out and quote, despite all saying they want the work. A few even made a commitment to come and look at the job after giving a ballpark quote that seemed promising then didn't even bother to show.

I agreed on £1400 with one and he strung me along for nearly 3 weeks, and once we were a whole 10 days after he said he'd start, he'd only just ordered the materials.. And then on the day he should have started he didn't even turn up, no phone call, no messages. Gee, thanks mate.

Then another agreed to the job for the same price, waxing lyrical about how satisfied his customers are and how he can't defend any of the others I've dealt with, but he himself was a stand up guy who kept his word. An hour into the job...."Mo, this isn't gonna work, I've just got this funny feeling, and when I get a funny feeling things just don't go right, you need somebody on day rate to do this job, you want the job to too perfect, it's not possible, we discussed splaying the reveals on the veluxes (on the day I changed my mind & asked him to just use the insulated pb to close the gaps around the veluxes) Best quotes- no one insulates the reveals its not a child spot, I worked for a loft conversion company and they never insulated the reveals!! You want the ceiling corners straight but I'm telling you it looks better rounded blah blah...." I says look if you want to splay them, fine, you wanna round the corners, fine, if it'll take a day longer, fine. I'll pay for the time no problem, I'm a reasonable guy.
But..."no I've already put the plasterboard back in the van mate, Its just not gonna work, when I get the wrong feeling then it won't work, the reveals are not square here / need to splayed there, i should have been done with the reveals for 4 veluxes in the 1st hour and I'm still doing them..."

Then off he put his tools Into the van, leaving me a cut piece of insulated pb as "goodwill" as if that could make up for the 2 weeks of waiting I had done for him.

Madness!

Where am I going wrong? Is there some special technique of dealing with your breed of tradesman that I need to deploy?

Is my budget of £1400 unreasonable for this job? I'm live in Bradford, which is relatively deprived city. Is it the case that quality tradesman are harder to come by in deprived areas- do they all flock to where the money is in my case posh parts of Leeds or Harrogate (even if they live in said deprived area)? Does that mean then the local customers are then only left with cowboys and amateurs who still demand a proper craftsmens wage because there is no one else offering to do the job hence you've got to pay top dollar for below-par work?

Cheers
Your budget of £1400 for the job might be reasonable depending on the scope of work involved, but it's important to be realistic about what can be achieved within that budget.

In terms of finding quality tradespeople in your area, it's possible that they may gravitate towards more affluent areas where there's higher demand and potentially higher-paying jobs. However, it's still possible to find skilled tradespeople in your area with some effort and thorough vetting.

Communication is key when dealing with tradespeople, so make sure to clearly communicate your expectations and requirements upfront. Don't hesitate to ask for references or examples of previous work to gauge the tradesperson's reliability and quality of workmanship.

Overall, finding a reliable and skilled tradesperson may take some time and effort, but it's worth it to ensure that the job is done correctly and to your satisfaction.

It's an AI...100% you can tell by the way it is written.

Nah

It was this geezer

@stefanrobin they call him

Woke from a coma at 530 am started spitting s**t about prices

Knows his stuff alright.

Screenshot_20240306_212452_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240306_212409_Gallery.jpg

The working for asians question is interesting. I'm passionately anti-racist, I've learnt a bit of Arabic and find different cultures interesting. I've been to price a lot of jobs over the years for Asians but have worked for very few because my quotes are nearly always too dear. It's a cultural thing, particularly for 1st gen Asian immigrants. Bartering etc. Whilst that can be fun on holiday, it's completely at odds with western culture and will remain so. It's a fascinating subject.
What a refreshing post.