which qualification would be best or does it not matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ree

hey folks hope you're all ok, iv just joined the forum so apologies for the question :p i have looked over this forum to see if anyone else has asked the same thing but there's nothing that matches my exact question :nocausagracia: anyway i work as a self employed plasterer and have done for 2 years and before that i worked with a plasterer to learn the trade however iv decided i would like something on paper that states i'm qualified so iv been looking over the many college courses on offer from basic construction skills, diplomas,nvqs etc so my question(s) is this... is it worth doing my nvq in plastering or should i go down the diploma route? and secondly out of curiosity what qualification do you have or are working towards? any help would be greatly appreciated and i hope i can come back on the forum and help others out at some stage :eek::eek: thanks guys and ladies :X3:
OH i almost forgot to say HAPPY NEW YEAR FOR YESTERDAY

you can get an nvq assessor to assess you whilst you working, but I have no clue which qualification is best, you need nvq to get cscs card to get on site, that`s all i know

Reactions: ree
NVQ L2. You can get it in one day through the Experienced worked practical assessment route.
Diploma is a waste if you haven't got the time

NVQ L2. You can get it in one day through the Experienced worked practical assessment route.
Diploma is a waste if you haven't got the time
hi, thank you very much for the reply i have heard about the experienced worker scheme but i wasn't sure what was involved in the assessment? and i was told that i need to prove that iv been working for 5 years?

i have f**k all ,so i would say no ,lol
You got the knowledge can't print that on paper
But if you did contact the assessor Keith you might be qualified for a degree!
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_images(11).jpg

Happy new year
Vince

In my mind its all a load of s**t tbh ,i have worked with lads that have ever single qualification going ,i would not let loose in a blind home !
if you had wrote that last bit " let loose in a blind hoose" it would have sounded better" @keithuk

regarding quals NVQ L2 is the minimum you need. you can get a cscs card without 5 years exp. If you dont have any nvq's you will get the Level 2 for free. Geason can give you all the info you just need to document your experience to meet the qual criteria

In my mind its all a load of s**t tbh ,i have worked with lads that have ever single qualification going ,i would not let loose in a blind home !
I ain't got none either but if I did I probably get one as well
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_images(7).jpg

if you had wrote that last bit " let loose in a blind hoose" it would have sounded better" @keithuk

regarding quals NVQ L2 is the minimum you need. you can get a cscs card without 5 years exp. If you dont have any nvq's you will get the Level 2 for free. Geason can give you all the info you just need to document your experience to meet the qual criteria
i dont need them John ,never been asked ,and if the person with all the NVQ is better then me ,he can have the job

Did that level 2 and 3 took longer than a day though like the other guy said..to the lad who posted all joking a side go for it if it's free.
All the best for new year

hi, thank you very much for the reply i have heard about the experienced worker scheme but i wasn't sure what was involved in the assessment? and i was told that i need to prove that iv been working for 5 years?
If you are over 20 you qualify. The college who assesses you won't turn down the chance of funding. They need you just as much as you need them.

Did that level 2 and 3 took longer than a day though like the other guy said..to the lad who posted all joking a side go for it if it's free.
what exactly do they ask you to do when you take the nvq 2/3 ? do they just ask question or just observe you working? i'm confused...

hang on a minute i'm confused is the nvq 2 assessment done at a college? or has it got to be in the work place? i appreciate the help and input from everyone so far thank you all...

hang on a minute i'm confused is the nvq 2 assessment done at a college? or has it got to be in the work place? i appreciate the help and input from everyone so far thank you all...
EWPA route - Normally done in college but can take place on a site.
OSAT route - on site

Level 3 should take 12 months. Level 2 can be done in a couple if on site visits till you have enough evidence to support you've met the criteria in your portfolio

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

A NVQ is an assessment of your competence that proves you can do the job, The other qualifications are certificates that prove you have completed some training but mean not a great deal with employers. If you can get the NVQ for free, go for it. Will it make you a better plasterer, no, but it will prove that somebody else other than you says that you can do the job.
At the end of the day a qualification opens up doors that people without them can't open and gives you options further down the line.

Bring back city & guilds and bound apprenticeships ------------ over 3-4 years just like the good old days - 1 day at college for the technical stuff and 4 days on site for the practical stuff and banter :maraca:

Very True ! Lol ,but I have AC/DC and Rainbow tickets , loooooooserr !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nice 1 keith --- ill swap you my plastering certificate for the AC/DC and rainbow tickets :reloco: and i will throw in my plasterers forum mug :lol:

nice 1 keith --- ill swap you my plastering certificate for the AC/DC and rainbow tickets :reloco: and i will throw in my plasterers forum mug :lol:
Got a mug , and you can guess what you can do with the certificate ! Hope you have a great year mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always makes me laugh when quals come up on this forum and the ones without, shouting about them being worthless, also makes me wonder if they encourage their kids that quals are a waste of time. I agree the way some quals are given out is shameless and makes them worthless but having quals in anything is better than having none at all, even a fool with no quals must understand that?

Status
Not open for further replies.