What Happens if Latex Paint Is Put Directly Over Lime Plaster?

Members online

LeeMiro

Hello Plasterers,

My boyfriend and I recently completed our first plaster repairs on our 1900 house. We used Structolite for the base coat and a finish coat of lime, crushed marble and plaster of paris.

Now we're wondering about painting. To be specific, these rooms have old wallpaper that's been painted over. Our eventual goal is stripping down to original plaster and applying new wallpaper or lime washes. But we don't have time now. In fact, we're expecting our first child in 5 months and there's just enough time to paint these rooms and fix them up. On the other hand, I don't want to put anything over our fresh plaster that can't be undone. Can I just paint over them with latex paint? How about some water-based Kilz, the kind for drywall? Or would I never get it off?

Thanks in advance for any tips you guys may have. I am really glad we ignored all the advice to dry wall instead!

1676639859401.gif

Hello Plasterers,

My boyfriend and I recently completed our first plaster repairs on our 1900 house. We used Structolite for the base coat and a finish coat of lime, crushed marble and plaster of paris.

Now we're wondering about painting. To be specific, these rooms have old wallpaper that's been painted over. Our eventual goal is stripping down to original plaster and applying new wallpaper or lime washes. But we don't have time now. In fact, we're expecting our first child in 5 months and there's just enough time to paint these rooms and fix them up. On the other hand, I don't want to put anything over our fresh plaster that can't be undone. Can I just paint over them with latex paint? How about some water-based Kilz, the kind for drywall? Or would I never get it off?

Thanks in advance for any tips you guys may have. I am really glad we ignored all the advice to dry wall instead!
I presume that your property is in the USA. I would just apply an emulsion water based paint over the wall paper, This will last until you are ready to carry out a refit.

Don't use a paint that contains latex, it will seal it and will defeat the purpose. You want to use the cheap contract emulsion , it contains no latex, hence its cheapness. I will be more breathable and serve the purpose better.
Good luck

Don't use a paint that contains latex, it will seal it and will defeat the purpose. You want to use the cheap contract emulsion , it contains no latex, hence its cheapness.
Thanks for clarifying! I've never heard of emulsion before. I'm having a hard time finding it online at stores near me (I'm in New England). Could you name a few brands that make it?

Just so I understand right, the reason to use a breathable paint like emulsion is that it better takes advantage of plaster's ability to release moisture? Will emulsion also be easier than latex to strip off down the road?

Thanks in advance! This is all new to me.

Last edited:
Thanks for clarifying! I've never heard of emulsion before. I'm having a hard time finding it online at stores near me (I'm in New England). Could you name a few brands that make it?

Just so I understand right, the reason to use a breathable paint like emulsion is that it better takes advantage of plaster's ability to release moisture? Will emulsion also be easier than latex to strip off down the road?

Thanks in advance! This is all new to me.
Not sure about American brands. In the UK a good rule of thumb would be to avoid any paint with the term Vinyl in the name . Look instead for the term matt or contract.