What do you think?

Members online

JohnB1994

Hi all, wondering what would you do in my situation here?

im a 26yr old plasterer working for the same builder for the past 6 years. The past 4 years since i finished my apprenticeship iv been doing 90% of the plastering works on my own for him. We also get involved in other types of work as you do so i get to try my hand at everything. We have recently took on an apprentice, just left school and a bit useless up to now.

since covid he has been on an absolute f**k it and just bullshits about “i have to pick out to do this and that” when I know he is just messing about not doing any work and just trying to look busy. Monday and tuesday this week he hadnt bothered to come to work and went boating past 2 days. Every week these is something he is doing other than work and always on the sly while im earning his money. Pub at 330 every day earlier sometimes. im all for an easy life and all i could go on for ages with his antics but basically he is taking the piss now for a while. The only upside working for him is that he pays me a day rate even if we finish early and always pays every week. I know its taboo but he pays me £110 per day which i think is low but its constant. Iv been offered work with a gang for £16.50 per hour. Plasterers around here seem happy to work for £18-20 per hour.

I recently just bought my first house and under completely renovation so constant wage is vital at the mo.

im just fed up with working hard on my own for the wages of 3 people and only be given a small slice of the pie. I left after my first guage today cos he had a f**k it and the apprentice was in college so i thought im not doing this on my own while he is winning money on me on the boat. I should also point out that im SELF employed and just give him a day rate that he set out.

am i wrong thinking like this and that its just life working for a builder, that its his right to do what he does while i work? Or should i walk on and find other work??

its recking my head really being so new in the game dont know anything different!

He might be on builders forum moaning about you right now?
“If” it is as you say and you have a van I suggest you respectfully leave by giving notice in the terms he has set out and go on your own booking up work while serving your notice

If you graft you will earn end of

Learn from your mistakes quickly and listen to your gut when dealing with people

PS
You missed a birthday your profile says your 27

If you get in a gang you'll probly have to work yours balls off!!!! Start advertising for your own work but keep your day rate going till it picks up..

“If” it is as you say and you have a van I suggest you respectfully leave by giving notice in the terms he has set out and go on your own booking up work while serving your notice

Learn from your mistakes quickly and listen to your gut when dealing with people

PS

im a 26yr old plasterer working for the same builder for the past 6 years. The past 4 years since i finished my apprenticeship iv been doing 90% of the plastering works on my own for him. We also get involved in other types of work as you do so i get to try my hand at everything. We have recently took on an apprentice, just left school and a bit useless up to now.

since covid he has been on an absolute f**k it and just bullshits about “i have to pick out to do this and that” when I know he is just messing about not doing any work and just trying to look busy. Monday and tuesday this week he hadnt bothered to come to work and went boating past 2 days. Every week these is something he is doing other than work and always on the sly while im earning his money. Pub at 330 every day earlier sometimes. im all for an easy life and all i could go on for ages with his antics but basically he is taking the piss now for a while. The only upside working for him is that he pays me a day rate even if we finish early and always pays every week. I know its taboo but he pays me £110 per day which i think is low but its constant. Iv been offered work with a gang for £16.50 per hour. Plasterers around here seem happy to work for £18-20 per hour.

I recently just bought my first house and under completely renovation so constant wage is vital at the mo.

im just fed up with working hard on my own for the wages of 3 people and only be given a small slice of the pie. I left after my first guage today cos he had a f**k it and the apprentice was in college so i thought im not doing this on my own while he is winning money on me on the boat. I should also point out that im SELF employed and just give him a day rate that he set out.

am i wrong thinking like this and that its just life working for a builder, that its his right to do what he does while i work? Or should i walk on and find other work??

its recking my head really being so new in the game dont know anything different!
£110 a shift is pretty low tbh even in the northwest where rates are dog s**t the average is £150/160 daywork

Seriously, if you don't like the idea of earning money for other people you have to go completely on your own, not in a gang or with someone else. Oh and don't work on anyone's property as your efforts just might make them money in the long run.
Truth is you're on poor money if you were on the cards, let alone self-employed. How were you self-employed whilst doing your apprenticeship?
@MakeItSmooth is this long enough?

PS
Ture lol

tbf i do work hard and honest i much prefer to work hard to earn rather than slack and feel line i didn’t do my best. Forgot to mention i have my own van i pay finance towards from my own pocket. And yes i am 27 your right it might sound young but feel like an old man these days

I
Seriously, if you don't like the idea of earning money for other people you have to go completely on your own, not in a gang or with someone else. Oh and don't work on anyone's property as your efforts just might make them money in the long run.
Truth is you're on poor money if you were on the cards, let alone self-employed. How were you self-employed whilst doing your apprenticeship?
@MakeItSmooth is this long enou

Ive been self employed since day one he couldn’t be arsed to put me on cards i was just keen on working and earning. Tbf back then his attitude was good but once i bought my own van and tools he just left me to it

Ture lol

tbf i do work hard and honest i much prefer to work hard to earn rather than slack and feel line i didn’t do my best. Forgot to mention i have my own van i pay finance towards from my own pocket. And yes i am 27 your right it might sound young but feel like an old man these days
What's going on here!!!

Ture lol

So your not on £110 @ day are you....if you think.ypu are you would be better off employed..

Here in north wales in my area joiners are around £20-22 per hour. Compared to the rest of uk seems crazy low here
Are you the op??

Which one are we replying to!??

Take the plastering work off him at a decent price and start getting other price work as well.

Two paltry paragraphs, mmmm.

I pay my labourer more than you get paid.

If you're putting on 3 or 4 bags a days for that money you're a muppet

Problem working for someone else is you ain't out there and never will be while working for them he's got you by the bollox think of the bigger picture, you don't wanna be stuck on that money for rest of your life! Get thinking about your long term future.

I pay my labourer more than you get paid.

If you're putting on 3 or 4 bags a days for that money you're a muppet
Looks like Im a muppet. Recently on a private site was giving out 40-45m2 on £6.50 labour for him. How muchish ball park would you pay a plasterer in there first 10 years of work?

I think you should stop F*****g whinging or do your own thing....

Its his time,expérience & money funding jobs and your wages...if you can do better and keep yourself in work crack on...

Problem working for someone else is you ain't out there and never will be while working for them he's got you by the bollox think of the bigger picture, you don't wanna be stuck on that money for rest of your life! Get thinking about your long term future.
Agree 100% its just that with my own house im currently renovating i am wary of taking chance and not earning a constant wage to fund myself and the build. I think i might have to bite my tongue until i complete the renovation christmas and then take the plunge

Its his time,expérience & money funding jobs and your wages...if you can do better and keep yourself in work crack on...
With the amount he works it looks like im funding his jobs his wage. I know i can do better it seems daunting going out without a solid client base

That's what I was thinking but you put it better.

I'm your age, was in exactly the same boat 2 years ago. s**t wage, working for dickhead, baby on the way and mortgage. So I had to do something. I left, to big unknown with 2 weeks work booked in, big jump in my opinion, got my van sign written, mastered social media advertising and its the best thing I ever done. I'm earning some weeks 4 times more a week than I used to.
Don't get me wrong, the first year was really stressful, trying to find work etc, plus I started my business 3 month before lockdown, so was off work for like 2 months. But this year was completely different, my name is out there and phone doesn't stop ringing.
If I could look back and do stuff differently I would definitely get enough wages in my bank before leaving, at least 3 months worth. Get a decent van, it's expensive but one less thing to worry about during first year. Prepare yourself for dealing with customers, as it can be hard sometimes.
So yeah mate, no matter how difficult it seems, if you put your mind and hard work to it, it'll be best thing you did. Good luck

I'm your age, was in exactly the same boat 2 years ago. s**t wage, working for dickhead, baby on the way and mortgage. So I had to do something. I left, to big unknown with 2 weeks work booked in, big jump in my opinion, got my van sign written, mastered social media advertising and its the best thing I ever done. I'm earning some weeks 4 times more a week than I used to.
Don't get me wrong, the first year was really stressful, trying to find work etc, plus I started my business 3 month before lockdown, so was off work for like 2 months. But this year was completely different, my name is out there and phone doesn't stop ringing.
If I could look back and do stuff differently I would definitely get enough wages in my bank before leaving, at least 3 months worth. Get a decent van, it's expensive but one less thing to worry about during first year. Prepare yourself for dealing with customers, as it can be hard sometimes.
So yeah mate, no matter how difficult it seems, if you put your mind and hard work to it, it'll be best thing you did. Good luck
Well done bud that's great! I don't care what anyone says sometimes you gotta take risks in life otherwise you become stagnant.