Very basics. Apologies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ky12

Hello...

Done a fair big of plastering, reskims etc.

However....
What do I do with old fully dry internal sand and cement render when I need to reskim it or patch repair?

PVA / sbr / hardwall / bonding then multi? Help lol

I have always sbr'd them , then it's all sealed nice ready to skim , or use the blue grit product . I'm sure some one will have a load of different ways but that's always worked well for me

Cheers for that tjd.

I'm with flynnyman too, a quick clarification lesson on sbr would be great .....what's it used for typically?

Cheers for that tjd.

I'm with flynnyman too, a quick clarification lesson on sbr would be great .....what's it used for typically?
What it's used for and what some guys on here use it for is two different things. Lost count of the number of times people have advised it and always in the wrong way. Too many wizards on this forum making up all sorts of concoctions who haven't got a clue, just accepting advise from anyone.

Cheers for that tjd.

I use it mainly when using s+c to get a better bond over old stone or anything that doesn't seem have that much key , slurry coat it then apply when tacky . And use to kill the suction inside and out . Never done me any harm

Ahh I see. So it's a slightly better alternative for sealing s+c than PVA prior to skimming with gypsum products?

Yeah if your going over s+c it usually goes purple straight away so if you can bang the skim on then you'll get a really good chemical bond too

Ah that's summed that up. Thanks tdj. Do you dilute yours or slap it on neat? I'm guessing treat it as I would PVA and wait for tacky etc? Or am I way off lol?

I have reskimmed a couple of times over s+C by using strong PVA....is this a huge no no?

Apologies for all the questions, just keen to learn more thanks

Sbr shouldn't be used anywhere near skimcoat.
Flynny is right, some mad lads here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it is of high suction, PVA.
And if you are going over something of extremely high suction, the PVA should be weaker not stronger, with more coats instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotcha!
Sbr preps block / brick to accept s+c

PVA (or blue grit as sons have suggested) preps s+c to accept skim.

If you have keyed the sand and cement just brush the dust off and skim, it can go either way but should hang like f**k if your mixes were right.

Yeah been done years ago, just need to skim it now. Newby to going onto this stuff. Just need to know what to do here

Never used PVA on S + C before... just lashed water at it... or a weak pva mix... going over dry sand and cement is torture

Haha nah not a patch as such. It's a strip about 1m x 2.4m.

Nope not been keyed. It's smoothish but not smooth enough to paint

Status
Not open for further replies.