Using a double coat of Thistle Bonding Coat to achieve estimated 22mm thickness.

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin101

Hi All. big hello to all here.. what a great forum.

I have a simple question.

I have an area of wall that requires Thistle bonding coat to be applied up to a thickness of around 22 mm. I am aware that the maximum thickness of said bonding coat is 11mm. Is it possible to slowly build up by bonding coat in layers... i.e one coat of 11mm, scratch it... and then apply a second coat of 11mm which would bring me to my 22mm. If this is possible then what would you reccomend the drytime between coats (room is well aired and around 16 - 20 degrees C).

The wall will then be covered in Thistle multifinish and then Tiled using tiles that are less than 20kg per metre square.

The background is aircrete blocks that have had PVA applied (to the manufacturers recomendations), the aircrete blocks are now showing little to no sign of absorbtion.

many thanks

Justin.

why not dab hardie backer or knauf render carrier board on the wall and tile onto the board?
if i remember correct bonding and hardwall is not a suitable base for tiling.

Yes you can build it up. If you mix it a bit thicker it will build up better. Put it on at the 11 mm ish and then scratch it and let it set. Same day coat again to the required thickness and rule/flatten.

You could, but would consider dabing out with some kind of moisture a better job. As already mentioned above.

Sent from my HUAWEI G6-L11 using Tapatalk

No problem dubbing out with bonding but will take forever to dry.
Again as already said , dab the moisture boards up , so less mess and effort

Cement based or insulated tile backer board like jackoboard would be best if boarding was considered a better idea.

why not dab hardie backer or knauf render carrier board on the wall and tile onto the board?
if i remember correct bonding and hardwall is not a suitable base for tiling.

Malc he said it was getting multi ontop though ? Not sticking to bonding etc ? Or u meaning for damp etc with the bonding ?

Wats point skimming it after if its getting tiled? Every tiler I've met said there wud rather tile onto plasterboard Than skim finish? Just dab a moisture board on to required thickness then jobs a gud 1 as said above

Hi All. big hello to all here.. what a great forum.

I have a simple question.

I have an area of wall that requires Thistle bonding coat to be applied up to a thickness of around 22 mm. I am aware that the maximum thickness of said bonding coat is 11mm. Is it possible to slowly build up by bonding coat in layers... i.e one coat of 11mm, scratch it... and then apply a second coat of 11mm which would bring me to my 22mm. If this is possible then what would you reccomend the drytime between coats (room is well aired and around 16 - 20 degrees C).

The wall will then be covered in Thistle multifinish and then Tiled using tiles that are less than 20kg per metre square.

The background is aircrete blocks that have had PVA applied (to the manufacturers recomendations), the aircrete blocks are now showing little to no sign of absorbtion.

many thanks

Justin.

Just do wet on wet...lay your first coat on as thick as you can, when it starts picking up whack another coat on, don't bother scratching.

Just do wet on wet...lay your first coat on as thick as you can, when it starts picking up whack another coat on, don't bother scratching.
w**k*r! :fuckyou:
Over 20 mm and it needs to be bang on flat for tiles! Theres little or no suction in the blocks. Wet on wet at that thickness will slump and be a t**t to rule properly.
Clown!

w**k*r! :fuckyou:
Over 20 mm and it needs to be bang on flat for tiles! Theres little or no suction in the blocks. Wet on wet at that thickness will slump and be a t**t to rule properly.
Clown!

When I say wet on wet I don't mean when the bonding is so wet that it will slump I mean when it's picked up, f**king idiot!

Sheer madness!!!

Why oh why on why would you do it his way..

Do as malc says!!!

More to the point who is dictating to the plasterer???

I'm guessing its 1 of these silly my builder customer that's an arsehole telling the tradesman that should know better!

Status
Not open for further replies.