Unusual pebble dash to repair

Olican

Private Member
An elderly couple live in this house and clearly don't have the funds to do anything too drastic. Very difficult to patch up but I've never seen dash so small, also the backing to the dash is wafer thin. I think someone has given the front a coat of something sticky and blown tiny stones on it. Anyone seen stone like this @Rigsby
IMG_20180816_162103.jpg

IMG_20180816_161511.jpg

Fcuk 'em, mate. And fcuk feeling sorry for old people.

Just run off and leave them to it.

If you do it properly, then you, them or their son in law will feel bad because it was expensive and if you somehow cheapen it up and it goes wrong, then guaranteed the son or daughter in law will be ringing up to say that it's not a very good job.

They have got the money, got a house, haven't they? But they'll all have been watching cowboy builders and be looking out for Ole Nan.

I got absolutely hammered years ago under just these circumstances. An old woman had a problem - turned out she had no lintel in a little coalshed thing that she wanted to turn into a sort of porch to sit in. I felt sorry for her so I said I'd put one in and dash for £180.

Except what little lintel there was went into the house by about six feet and only a foot over the window opening, then I couldn't find the fcuking dash anywhere. When I did, after two days, it turned out to be the most expensive dash that money could buy.

The long and the short of it was that what should have been a day with £60 materiels turned into a week with £50 profit.

Just don't do it mate.

My in-laws have something very similar on their bungalow, I think they have a spare bag, will have a look for you over the weekend if that's not too late

Fcuk 'em, mate. And fcuk feeling sorry for old people.

Just run off and leave them to it.

If you do it properly, then you, them or their son in law will feel bad because it was expensive and if you somehow cheapen it up and it goes wrong, then guaranteed the son or daughter in law will be ringing up to say that it's not a very good job.

They have got the money, got a house, haven't they? But they'll all have been watching cowboy builders and be looking out for Ole Nan.

I got absolutely hammered years ago under just these circumstances. An old woman had a problem - turned out she had no lintel in a little coalshed thing that she wanted to turn into a sort of porch to sit in. I felt sorry for her so I said I'd put one in and dash for £180.

Except what little lintel there was went into the house by about six feet and only a foot over the window opening, then I couldn't find the fcuking dash anywhere. When I did, after two days, it turned out to be the most expensive dash that money could buy.

The long and the short of it was that what should have been a day with £60 materiels turned into a week with £50 profit.

Just don't do it mate.
I couldn't agree more bud, don't get me wrong , I run with my head not my heart , empathy would come before sympathy and even that would be rare. My posting this thread was more out of curiosity, the stone isn't sat into mortar. It looks like someone has gone straight over painted render with a very tight coat (an SBR slurry would work but this looks more yellow ) and then flicked this stone on. It was 15-20 years ago, so it was a temporary fix . I told the owner any type of patchwork would stand out, even if you replicated the background and match the stone.

I couldn't agree more bud, don't get me wrong , I run with my head not my heart , empathy would come before sympathy and even that would be rare. My posting this thread was more out of curiosity, the stone isn't sat into mortar. It looks like someone has gone straight over painted render with a very tight coat (an SBR slurry would work but this looks more yellow ) and then flicked this stone on. It was 15-20 years ago, so it was a temporary fix . I told the owner any type of patchwork would stand out, even if you replicated the background and match the stone.

You just set every alarm bell that I've got off with 'Old people, not much money, here's something that they and their family will think looks like a simple job'

At the end of the day, it's a relatively small crack in superficial plaster (which is how the son in law who knows a builder will see it) that might be very awkward to fix and even when fixed, probably won't look amazing.

I'd just leg it and change my number.

Its an easy enough job. But I can see green growth on that pillar so it looks like water ingress. And below the sill looks like its been patched before. You will need to advise the custom of this to cover yourself.

If its thin consider using thin coat render.

As for the pebble I have seen it before. A mix of Calcined flint and red or even just calcined flint. Send that sample and/or photo to Derbyshire Aggregates Ltd Youlgreave Bakewell. They will be able to match it. They do a good range of small pebble as they supply the resin drive layers.They sent me 1 bag recently for £15 delivery.

Its an easy enough job. But I can see green growth on that pillar so it looks like water ingress. And below the sill looks like its been patched before. You will need to advise the custom of this to cover yourself.

As for the pebble I have seen it before. A mix of Calcined flint and red or even just calcined flint. Send that sample and/or photo to Derbyshire Aggregates Ltd Youlgreave Bakewell. They will be able to match it. They do a good range of small pebble as they supply the resin drive layers.They sent me 1 bag recently for £15 delivery.
I think you've nailed it there rigsby...we sometimes use the small grades on ewi jobs but I would follow your advise sounds very reasonable

Quality feedback as always Rigsby (y)

:D:birra: