uni finish

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd never use over high suction like Danny says. It will suck in like mad first coat and usually crazes....but way to get over it if you do is to keep laying tight coats over that area.
It wets it back up, then just trowel that section up earlier as you do the rest of the wall and I find that sorts it.
I think it's great for painted walls etc but any high suction areas over a m2 id just Pva and multi or bond-it first.
Once people know how to use it well it won't cause problems.
I find it perfect for over Artex, old paint and also walls with mostly paint and some old skim but not areas that have been ruffed or old skim.

I have had a few walls go really well... but had 2 that did me up like a kipper... came out ok in the end but I was broken
I've only used it once so can't say much more? I didn't plan to use it on that job but was perfect for it,I went in to get my gear from local b and q and saw a pallet there so took a chance and I did wanna use it just to see what all the fuss was about, I would use it again and reckon it be sweet on artex like afew people have said? And I didn't use any plazi or sponge which is been using on multi on and off, just all carbon steel mt and small water spray to keep water to a min?

It's a shame there are not more pallets in merchants and b n qs and Wickes CUs I think alot of people would grab a bag to have ago.The only way you going to know if it's for u is to use it.CCF stock it in Nottingham and Wickes do in Leicester

@Donzo it definitely won't did shell off.i said on here before try an artex overskim with it first time u use it to get used to faster set times and definitely two coat

Not had chance to use it yet. Goes against the way i was taught years ago and its nearly double the price of multi. Might wait for a small artex ceiling to do to try it

I'd never use over high suction like Danny says. It will suck in like mad first coat and usually crazes....but way to get over it if you do is to keep laying tight coats over that area.
It wets it back up, then just trowel that section up earlier as you do the rest of the wall and I find that sorts it.
I think it's great for painted walls etc but any high suction areas over a m2 id just Pva and multi or bond-it first.
Once people know how to use it well it won't cause problems.
I find it perfect for over Artex, old paint and also walls with mostly paint and some old skim but not areas that have been ruffed or old skim.

yep the way is to keep bashing coats over it... :-\

It just gives people more choice and options which essence is not a bad thing :-\

Why's it so good on artex lids???
Is there not some mention of going over textures in the get out clause bumff?

it will take you 20 mins to read the get out clauses on the back pal, its give you a method statement for high suction, low suction, textured coatings....

i just don't see the point. just use multi with pva. i don't think i've ever turned up to prep a job the day before i was going to start. fcuk that. just pva and set some beads and then set your gear up. it's would have, gps, not would of.

I wouldnt try this out on artex as your first go, better on a painted ceiling or walls or a wall with different suctions etc
I used a pallet of it back in september/October on various jobs and had no failures as far as i know.

I don't know I just always seem to have enough time with it when skimming over artex ceiling maybe because it's painted and enjoy not waiting for pva to dry before...the writing on bags I suppose is for people worried about getting in a mess in a mix I just lay more gear on if it starts drying to fast and am not bothered what I skim over as long as it's not a loose surface.To be fair I have had artex come off when using pva on it and multi so I see it as a winner..if the artex is going to come off it don't matter if it has been pva and multi or unifinish.

i just don't see the point. just use multi with pva. i don't think i've ever turned up to prep a job the day before i was going to start. fcuk that. just pva and set some beads and then set your gear up. it's would have, gps, not would of.

Fair enough jurek ...just out of interest though bud have you used a bag of unifinish?

I can't see it being around for long but can see it working well with right knowledge and skills but think BG will get slated by the DIY market and them getting to much hassle then pull it from the shelves

My apologies

The get out clauses are no different to using multi.
If multi failed on Artex/painted surfaces etc they would say you should of used bond it or uni finish or checked the substrate first etc etc.

I can't see it being around for long but can see it working well with right knowledge and skills but think BG will get slated by the DIY market and them getting to much hassle then pull it from the shelves

Your right for two reasons @BritishGypsum 1) it's aimed at the domestic market but not available where domestic spreads but their gear ie wickes & b&q.
2) pricing is wrong and having used it it is not worth an extra £5 a bag

Fair enough jurek ...just out of interest though bud have you used a bag of unifinish?
no. its too expensive. im not bemoaning what it can or cant do, just the price and the necessity for it. if it was just a pound or two more then id give it a go, but not nearly twice the price. think its priced toward the diyer. then again i havent seen it anywhere. maybe bg have headhunted the distribution manager from knauf?

can you sponge it?

Fair enough ...on price being to much...wickes had it at £11 which I thought was bad really...

I never sponge it just flatten off as soon as it's on

no. its too expensive. im not bemoaning what it can or cant do, just the price and the necessity for it. if it was just a pound or two more then id give it a go, but not nearly twice the price. think its priced toward the diyer. then again i havent seen it anywhere. maybe bg have headhunted the distribution manager from knauf?

can you sponge it?

Nearly every plasterer I talk to about it says price is main reason to not use and like said before actual stock

Status
Not open for further replies.