Uni finish is cr@p

Members online

Exactly granty any knowledgeable plasterer would buy there stock in bulk from the cheapest place they can the only thing that bnq do cheapish is multifinish.. But all the other plaster related products are like "secondary buys" ( yes that is a proper business terminology)... Meaning for the Dummies out there because you are there and may not have it on your van you might just pay however much they sell it for on your way out.
Which is one of many reasons I don't shop there.
Rather than travelling miles to b and q to buy out of date gear hahahahaha what a nugget.

Can still take ages on eggshell in a cold room. Wet micro, fall off the ceiling job. ...no sleep at night.

Here is real time question..just skimmed the lounge and got to move all the furniture back into this room so I can do the dinner room(which has not been pva yet..
I want to mix up no later than 1.30pm so I definitely gone at 3.30-4pm do i ?
A. Pick up the sheets move stuff resheet and pick up the pva on left or

B. Do as above but grab the unifinish on the right and bang it straight on at 1.20-1.30pm

Attachments

• WP_20160608_12_57_07_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160608_12_57_07_Pro.jpg
    965 KB · Views: 246
  • WP_20160608_12_57_55_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160608_12_57_55_Pro.jpg
    981.7 KB · Views: 246
  • WP_20160608_13_00_17_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160608_13_00_17_Pro.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 258
Last edited by a moderator:
Here is real time question..just skimmed the lounge and got to move all the furniture back into this room so I can do the dinner room(which has not been pva yet..

B. Do as above but grab the unifinish on the right and bang it straight on at 1.20-1.30pm
Render it

I agree the odd ceiling over painted artex it may be viable. But not in substrates that are high suction and requires an extra coat. Today i turned up to a job. Scraped tile addy back. Pvad the walls. Bonded out the chases and bits where tiles had brought the plaster off. small handful of cement in it (no need for bonding 60) and was skimming by 9.30-10. Skimmed using board finish. I, for the life of me, genuinely cant think of a job in the last year or two where uni would have been of benefit to me.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

You bought them sheets this morning didn't you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I nicked them off a job yesterday j..
Clean job is a good job, tell you what though time is pushing on here this unifinish is hanging around and drying fast on bits leaving me with a bit of a dilemma...
How am I going to speed up this laying in bag..?
Think I'll try some fresh water in the same bucket I mixed up in but just give it a clean to make the water a bit dirty..
Good job I don't work for bg innit !
I probably would get the sack saying what I really do on jobs.
Oh well look on the bright side just had enough time to clean coving up after first coat, clean jobs a good job !
WP_20160608_14_36_12_Pro.jpg
WP_20160608_14_37_28_Pro.jpg

I agree the odd ceiling over painted artex it may be viable. But not in substrates that are high suction and requires an extra coat. Today i turned up to a job. Scraped tile addy back. Pvad the walls. Bonded out the chases and bits where tiles had brought the plaster off. small handful of cement in it (no need for bonding 60) and was skimming by 9.30-10. Skimmed using board finish. I, for the life of me, genuinely cant think of a job in the last year or two where uni would have been of benefit to me.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I agree there, only time I use uni is over artex or painted walls. Anything else I'll Pva.
Uni should just be for low suction substrates.

As flynny said, if they had replaced multi with the new improved multi where the tradesman has the choice to pva high suction but also skim straight on moderate to low as you have, all for the same price as before then they would have been onto a winner. If blokes weren't sure of it they could carry on as before or take a chance on the odd wall with it, always in stock and in date!

Well...blow me down had to be quick but yet again still had time to clean me coving just a little last wipe then I'm gone.. With the money in me pocket !
Off to the pub now see ya tonight

WP_20160608_15_35_05_Pro.jpg

@plasterman doesn't plaster and water splashes seep through dustsheet ?only use tarps.
These are special new ones , I got the carpet stick down rolls instead of tarps bud
I'm waiting for the abuse from flynny

There ain't going to be any ! tbh I have had a bit of a laugh today but there is quite a lot of points I think just in that job alone , I agree with all the guys that have used it and I think on painted it can't be beaten anyone says any different they are either lying or have not ever used it.
I never have said either it's great to use over high suction (nothing is), all I have ever said for nearly 2 years is if plasterer ends up going over a high suction and you are in a pickle the 3 coat rule will help you out because with using it on all different possible backgrounds in the world (which would take a good old time to do) the odd one might be higher suction than a plasterer may of thought.
We all would pva on a high suction if we have any sense.

There must be at least 10 - 15 people on here that have used it and on low suction they all say the same ..
It's good to go !

These are special new ones , I got the carpet stick down rolls instead of tarps bud

There ain't going to be any ! tbh I have had a bit of a laugh today but there is quite a lot of points I think just in that job alone , I agree with all the guys that have used it and I think on painted it can't be beaten anyone says any different they are either lying or have not ever used it.
I never have said either it's great to use over high suction (nothing is), all I have ever said for nearly 2 years is if plasterer ends up going over a high suction and you are in a pickle the 3 coat rule will help you out because with using it on all different possible backgrounds in the world (which would take a good old time to do) the odd one might be higher suction than a plasterer may of thought.

There must be at least 10 - 15 people on here that have used it and on low suction they all say the same ..
It's good to go !
Most of people are just winding u up..ur easy meat wen it comes to unifinish..

It's good to go !
I must just be messy. Mine would be f**k*d after one job. New tarp for each job, taped at sides. Knock whole bucket of water over once every couple of months. Haven't stood in the pva for a while either, due one of those too.

As flynny said, if they had replaced multi with the new improved multi where the tradesman has the choice to pva high suction but also skim straight on moderate to low as you have, all for the same price as before then they would have been onto a winner. If blokes weren't sure of it they could carry on as before or take a chance on the odd wall with it, always in stock and in date!
Exactly :) why not give us, the end user, an extra option rather than try and cash in on us? Are they targeting the plasterer or the DIYer?

I haven't used the product myself. Perhaps it's pricey because it's a niche product in that it's never going to sell in the same numbers as board or multi? I mean how much is durafinish or toughcoat or the x-ray plaster? In that they have a virtual monopoly they could easily have rolled out the product as a complete replacement for multi and set whatever price they wanted. Of course, there would be a lot of unhappy plasterers out there if they did that. I'm not sure who it's marketed at.

Every retail product does not have a 100% mark up. That's ridiculous. I was going to order a pallet of multi from a local merchant a few weeks back but they couldn't match the B and Q price because there was nothing in it for them. They said B and Q sold it more or less as a loss leader to get you in there to buy secondary items that were marked up.

I haven't used the product myself. Perhaps it's pricey because it's a niche product in that it's never going to sell in the same numbers as board or multi? I mean how much is durafinish or toughcoat or the x-ray plaster? In that they have a virtual monopoly they could easily have rolled out the product as a complete replacement for multi and set whatever price they wanted. Of course, there would be a lot of unhappy plasterers out there if they did that. I'm not sure who it's marketed at.

Every retail product does not have a 100% mark up. That's ridiculous. I was going to order a pallet of multi from a local merchant a few weeks back but they couldn't match the B and Q price because there was nothing in it for them. They said B and Q sold it more or less as a loss leader to get you in there to buy secondary items that were marked up.
Think on Gypsum website they are called performance products.
And that unifinish definitely performed well today.
The customer even gave me a £20 tip suppose that covered me extra £3.50 a bag I spent on materials..
But hey looking on the bright side of life
I didn't have to buy any pre-treatment

3 more to do tomorrow
Gone off over boarding ceilings now there more profit for me in skimming them ,in out,cash,gone.