Uni finish is cr@p

Members online

Mmmm I don't get it,,,the plaster works for you,,,and I get fully surface substrate variations,,,,,ain't reliable enough.
Thats why it might get pulled of availability.oops.

Mmmm I don't get it,,,the plaster works for you,,,and I get fully surface substrate variations,,,,,ain't reliable enough.
Thats why it might get pulled of availability.oops.
Don't understand what your point is donzo . Plaster is plaster to me it don't matter what I use I get a finish on it.

Had many wall's where it Pull's in too quick in spot's and hangs in others, so do I PVA in different spot's of the wall or PVA the lot.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Uses uni for the first time on this hallway ceiling (50% as much around the corner) over light stippled artex. s**t myself at first when a few patches went off but i always flatten in with a second tight coat over artex anyway. Next coat was great to trowel up. 100% i'd use it again over painted walls/ceilings (silk not matt) but it is over priced regardless. I just wanted to try it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    934.4 KB · Views: 205
It is what it is bud , many time people have got there knickers in a twist on unifinish needing 3 coats but fact is even on normal re skim of older properties sometimes walls need 3 coats to sort out the wall.
I've never 3 coated anything other than heavy artex. Which I don't even do anymore

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

View attachment 12045 View attachment 12046 Uses uni for the first time on this hallway ceiling (50% as much around the corner) over light stippled artex. s**t myself at first when a few patches went off but i always flatten in with a second tight coat over artex anyway. Next coat was great to trowel up. 100% i'd use it again over painted walls/ceilings (silk not matt) but it is over priced regardless. I just wanted to try it.
Looks good mate but think a could get same results

Yeah cost an extra couple of quid but saved an hour on a say morning. Worth it to me. Nice creamy gear. Like board finish was years ago

I've never 3 coated anything other than heavy artex. Which I don't even do anymore

I did last week what I was skimming,walls was all over the place so had 2 options I knew when I put first coat of plaster on it I
either would of just 2coated and left the job thinking it looks ok but might get a call back to say it has a few bits that don't look right or do what I did a tight extra coat knowing when I left it was spot on.

It alright saying you never do I suppose you always get all the prep right but I didn't last week and never leave a job looking maybe good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why did you need to 3 coat though? Why wasnt 2 enough?

Had many wall's where it Pull's in too quick in spot's and hangs in others, so do I PVA in different spot's of the wall or PVA the lot.
If you have a bit of gear left in the bucket just tight coat the dryer bits if possible it will wet it up a bit before laying in.
Or just lay in straight away with new mix and flatten straight away..with Speedskim or plastic,if you use them

Why did you need to 3 coat though? Why wasnt 2 enough?

Floated some chases but the cables clips were sticking proud of the original wall slightly...thought I had blended in enough to be ok across the wall but in the middle had knocked up and boarded a fire out beads on ,thought all was good first mix went on just that wall it just didn't feel right the other wall I intended to skim at same time was window wall same there when I flattened before laying in mix just wasn't right for a finish,gave a tight 3rd and it was sorted

It was 3 coats of multi or unifinish I said I did and do 3 coat some walls which is no problem to me to get the finish right and leave a good job.
In hind sight or perfect world it would be great to have had the job all boarded out spirit level flat but hey we all know in the real world sometimes that just don't happen.

It is what it is bud , many time people have got there knickers in a twist on unifinish needing 3 coats but fact is even on normal re skim of older properties sometimes walls need 3 coats to sort out the wall.
I've never three coated I always pop in the day before and smash two heavy pva costs on and never had a problem unless it's white wash but that's another story

Like someone posted before, i don't see why they couldn't replace multi with it then you get the best of both worlds. Pva as you would with multi and when the conditions are right no need to bother. @BritishGypsum.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mag
Don't understand what your point is donzo . Plaster is plaster to me it don't matter what I use I get a finish on it.
The stuff ain't selling where I am.sales determine if the product is successful. Whether it's down to cost or other reasons.pallet went out of date again.
Guy told me they might not be taking anymore.
Its all over the place at setting times.

Same up my way in Crewe Bnq they r just taking a 1 pallet for 3 months periods surely at @BritishGypsum pricing department etc bring the friggin price down £6-£7 for 3 months Cus £10 is lunacy yer throwing more away ,out of all the threads on uni on the forum I don't think @BritishGypsum have never justified the price

Same up my way in Crewe Bnq they r just taking a 1 pallet for 3 months periods surely at @BritishGypsum pricing department etc bring the friggin price down £6-£7 for 3 months Cus £10 is lunacy yer throwing more away ,out of all the threads on uni on the forum I don't think @BritishGypsum have never justified the price
Yip it's bq I'm talking about.
And they sell more plaster than anyone, I think.

Agree with that. There has to be a price reduction to get more using it. I find I can price it in ok, but this isn't happening for most so they have to knock it down or stores won't be getting it in. I have to keep badgering the guy at wickes and he's losing patience. Gives me a dirty look each time I see him as I'm the only one buying it at the moment and can only buy so much.

Like someone posted before, i don't see why they couldn't replace multi with it then you get the best of both worlds. Pva as you would with multi and when the conditions are right no need to bother. @BritishGypsum.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thing is though they will want to charge around £8-£10 for it and there will be even more outrage.
This is why I wanted to know if the faster set skim in Ireland was much dearer or same price as Donzo and others would find this more useful.

I don't know why people bothered about cost, it's only 2-4 quid extra for a bag, that's only a few pence extra per metre, that's another question that it works for you or not, whatever floats your boat really.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

At Crewe they must have 10-15 pallets of multi in 3 month periods they never have out of date lieing Round ,lowering the price will push sales up n give more confidence in the product ,to a lot people it's the barrier of paying double the price for something that ain't doing what you think it should do

The price don't really bother me,,,it's the stuff,,I had issues with setting times on a variety of surfaces,,,too. Slow.

The guys who like the stuff,,,if it works for you then good. Clearly if stuff ain't selling
Their is an issue why,,,

Uni users don't mind 3 coating to control suction all to avoid rolling PVA.

f**k**g hell.

I done 4 artex ceilings yesterday, scraped the peaks off and PVA'd in 20 odd minutes had a coffee then mixed 2 bags, by the time it was mixed the PVA on the first ceiling had taken up nicely, no dramas. If the pva is sitting on the surface for ages it's too strong.

Uni's time is running out.

Reactions: Mag
No its all been painted now and the customer is happy but I worked my ass off .
This is what I found, although you can get it finished ok, if it starts pulling fast your in for a helluva shift and what makes it worse is knowing that you paid money out your profit for expensive plaster to make your day easier.

I am a big fan of 3 coats... the way i was taught over artex was always 3 coats... the 3rd coat is very tight but I would say it makes a big difference.... whether it needs it is another question but never had a call back

I don't know if the anti 3 coats dudes know what I mean (I don't mean mix up 3 times).
When first coat is on if you quickly whip round with a coat is one option before laying in mix or when you mix up lay it on but make sure you got enough mixed to give a tight 3rd this is only if it is pulling in fast and you feel you are in a pickle on high suction and sometimes matt paint.
If you don't then it is going to be a bit of a battle but why battle it for the sake of a quick whizz round.. Lets be honest most domestics are 1,1.5,2 bag first coats anyway it's not like we doing the billy big balls gauges.