Turned up to new project and look at this!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
While on the subject of old barns i had the pleasure :rolleyes) of spending nearly 2 hrs with a conservation officer and planning officer this afternoon most of it spent on me telling them they were wasting my time and the clients money by insisting that they get structural engineers reports and method statements done to save the gable end of a stone built pigeon/chicken shed all be it a 2 storey scotch slated chicken shed. However they started to see things my way when i told the customer to just let it collapse and he said good idea. We started numbering quoins and it's coming down stone by stone rest of the week.
Their next "suggestions" was to not fit a particular bathroom the customer had bought for the barn conversion as it would not be in keeping with the age of the barn. Got to hand it to the fella quick as a flash ask's so what type of bath did they used to fit in a barn 200yrs ago then :RpS_thumbup:

Give him written warning signed and witnessed , money up front and crack on you be home by 3 pm ! :RpS_thumbsup:

Hi yes I did look at the job before hand told him we would board and skim the lot

Accepted price and job booked in everything fine and dandy!

turned up to find upstairs nearly totally boarded out spoke with the main man re the poor job already done he said he's happy with the price and to just get on and skim and board downstairs.

Been em back today and did some digging behind boards and looking what was what

the boarding isn't good for the main but from digging around the initial problem seems to be with the joiner who doesn't seem to have ever used a string line, straight edge or set square before. The timber framing has been pieced together following and old contour.

Another conversation ion with the owner and was told taking it back isn't an option and to make best of what is there already to which I have under no uncertain terms said u can't guarantee the longevity of the work against cracks or popping screw etc which he's happy to accept unfortunately

this doesn't excuse the so called plasterers boarding as some parts have 4/5 screws holding a board
spent they day trying to sure bits up and he's happy to accepts the extra work

seems silly but that's out of my hands unfortunately

whilst on the subject of bad work was sweeping up one space and noticed a book on some boards "diy handbook" with a bookmark on the page "how to build a stud wall"
which leads me to think or question if he has actually had a joiner in at all

LOL......... So he's built a shitty stud wall himself, and boarded it to hide it :RpS_laugh:

Reminds me of my mates' father-in-law who built his own garden wall and it was so bad he decided to pebbledash it.
And the dashing was so bad he had to paint it :RpS_lol:

insulation regs are getting a joke , thats why things are getting bad 2-3 layers plasterboard insulation on old rafters its just going to throw things out

Status
Not open for further replies.