tiger stripes

i think we all need to get together and put this to the ultimate test and i think b/g should pay for it :RpS_thumbup: sounds like a good excuse for another day out

I use very little just tidy edges up a bit that's it . but as you say every one as different techniques , hence good and bad spreads

I think flattening between coats and leaving ur 2nd coat off as long as u dare goes a long way.skim is les likely to ripple underneath regardless of how much water you use

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App

Serious question... anyone think these stripes have anything to do with speedskims/plastic/s*p*r*lex trowels, as opposed to just using a good finishing trowel ??

Excessive water also imo, and also opening up the angle of the trowel too much.

Agree about the angle of the trowel being too open. Don't think it's got out to do with excess water imo

Sent from my C1905 using The Plasterers Forum mobile app

Agree about the angle of the trowel being too open. Don't think it's got out to do with excess water imo

Sent from my C1905 using The Plasterers Forum mobile app

I think it can be either....equaly I also think that finish seems to vary ie some gear you mix up and it just doesn't look right in the tub, on the handboard and on the wall....don't know why and could explain but can just tell the minute its knocked up like

Serious question... anyone think these stripes have anything to do with speedskims/plastic/s*p*r*lex trowels, as opposed to just using a good finishing trowel ??

Nope :)

I wouldnt say it was caused by excess water either... its normally already there before you start lashing water at it...

Makes sense about getting on it too early as that is very similar to the point of not cleaning your trowel....

I will get in touch with @BritishGypsum and see if I can get a technical answer or at least see if we can get a day to "test" :) The mine trip is back on the cards in the new year just need to sort dates and what not :)

Last edited:
Always used water on s\c t\coat hardball only time get tiger stripes is on board as mentioned before is angle of trowel in initial trowelling not wet trowel

Right then goin back a few yrs before proxy multi came out sirapite and board finish never had any probe
probs

I dont let it pull in mate i am a house basher i get it on and get straight back on it we are a different breed of spreads scottie knows what i am on about

Must come an watch u some day seeing I'm s\c trained never seen a bag o hw bonding t\coat before I came over here from Ireland still though UK great old country mate never short o work

I am in essex near stansted airport i am a plastic paddy mums from clare the old man from enniskillen in the north

@theclemo give me a lone of his Refina s*p*r*lex to use. He asked me to use it and come on here and say what I think of it. Am plastering 40+years and I have to say its a must buy. Did a set of skimming to day no water with no problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm from Galway myself longer here than I was over there where's in Clare is ur mum from lovely county

Only time get tiger stripes is on board as mentioned before is angle of trowel in initial trowelling not wet trowel

Probably getting on it too early then buddy as the rest of the backgrounds have a degree of suction....

I have family living in scarriff have u ever tried using their sand back there just like Leighton buzzard over here pure cream

Best skim was plaster finish the pink an black bag that thet run along side board and multi.
It was for flaot and set but over boards it hung and u could get massive hits on plus it was a smoother finish

Best skim was plaster finish the pink an black bag that thet run along side board and multi.
It was for flaot and set but over boards it hung and u could get massive hits on plus it was a smoother finish

Do you mean the carlite finish? We used this on toughcoat nice finish to use.