Thistle Uni-Finish Update

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi British gypsum. Can you tell me if its possible to re***d the set on your spray finish. It would be beneficial to spray plaster on in one go in the morning, clean the machine once and spend the rest of the day finishing the set. It makes more sense than spraying small amounts as you have multi finish for this.

Hi PFTWales, thanks for the question, the simple answer to this would be yes - however, there are some consideratrions to bear in mind. The applied thickness is only approx 2mm, so the longer the setting time is, the more risks of unintended consequences creep in. These include background suction affecting it (particularly a problem if the effect isn't consistent across the wall/ceiling), or drying out by evaporation too much/too soon in summer (in extreme cases this would cause "fire-cracking", "dry-out", etc and maybe adhesion failure).
An alternative way to look at the problem behind the question is this: depending on the building layout and size, it is often possible to spray-apply small amounts frequently, in a semi-continuous way. This keeps "resetting the clock" regarding when the machine needs cleaning out thoroughly. It potentially takes some getting used to for people who have perfected the usual hand-applied, batch-based process (it feels like a slow start to the day), but it can be very productive and might be worth a try?

Let me know how you get on

Right BG, about these bags!

The problem starts when you first lift them off the pallet! They are stuck together with a glue that apparrently is a H&S issue to stop them slipping off while in transit?
Trouble is it rips the outer skin of the bag, straight down the middle and the full length of the bag. Go into any merchants, B&Q, Wickes etc and you can view the devastation where broken bags have been dumped.
If you get the bag in one piece to the place you wish to use it, you then have to open it with extreme caution as one slight tare to far results in the whole bag falling apart as you try and lift it.
I carried half a bag down some stairs last year & it "just went" tumbling down the finest Axminster & hitting the piano in the hall ... How the owner laughed as I'm stood startled holding a screwed up piece of bag in my hand.
Sweeping & hosing tarmac/block paved drives is a regular occurrence now, chasing your pink nectar down the road to the nearest drain!
Everyone is complaining about your packaging, and I can't believe you are not aware you are using the cheapest, nastiest bit of tat you could lay your hands on to package your product.

In quarter of a century of using BG, apart from that awful grey Carlite bonding, this is my first real complaint aimed at you!

Hi all, I’ve noticed a few comments about our bags on here which I have passed on to our product development team. I'll come back and update you when I have news.

Wouldn't it be good if @BritishGypsum changed their bags to the plastic eco friendly ones like the new ones used for cement?
multicem-cement.jpg

Any opinions?

Last edited by a moderator:
The paper cement bags don't rip and split every time you touch it.

But you can still open with out the need for a knife.

Hi all, I’ve noticed a few comments about our bags on here which I have passed on to our product development team. I'll come back and update you when I have news.

This bag issue has been on this forum for along time and you've been lurking in the shadows for a while i believe and you still dont have an answer from the PDT..............:RpS_confused:. seems to me that as long as we are buying your product your in no hurry to improve the packaging IMO

Welcome to the forum British Gypsum.

So with all these pallets & pallets of uni-finish being recalled what will happen with it?
Will we be seeing it again in our multi & board finish bags?
We know out of date batches of finish plaster get added to fresh batches in very small amounts.
So with all the thousands of uni-finish bags you will be having back will the powder be getting added to our finish plasters?

British Gypsum, i'm still waiting for a reply to my question from 16-03-2013

Thanks in advance for your reply :)

I can answer that 1 for you marra.......................... I have passed on to our product development team. I'll come back and update you when I have news.

Hi Nisus, sorry for the delay - no, you will not be seeing TUF in your bags of multi or board finish. British Gypsum does not add out of date or recalled batches of plaster back into the finished plasters, thanks for your question

ye i'd like to know where it goes!! surely you can't just land fill it (if you do though how much does it cost you to do so?)

Thank you for finally taking the time to come back to me BG. if it's all the same to you I will decline your offer of one of your bods phoning me. I have given all the information you require on my posts in this thread. You have had ample opportunity in the past to phone me back, alas, the phonecall was never forthcoming. I have no interest in talking to some desk jockey and describing how I mixed my Unifinish, applied it, what tools I used, how long I trowelled it for etc etc just so they can try and find a way out of accepting responsibility. If you really want to put right the wrongs then you will find a way, I'm sure, of contacting me

Thank you for finally taking the time to come back to me BG. if it's all the same to you I will decline your offer of one of your bods phoning me. I have given all the information you require on my posts in this thread. You have had ample opportunity in the past to phone me back, alas, the phonecall was never forthcoming. I have no interest in talking to some desk jockey and describing how I mixed my Unifinish, applied it, what tools I used, how long I trowelled it for etc etc just so they can try and find a way out of accepting responsibility. If you really want to put right the wrongs then you will find a way, I'm sure, of contacting me

If they REALLY cared they would come out and see you.

Hi Nisus, sorry for the delay - no, you will not be seeing TUF in your bags of multi or board finish. British Gypsum does not add out of date or recalled batches of plaster back into the finished plasters, thanks for your question

Hi British Gypsum thanks for your reply :RpS_thumbup:

But i'm a bit confused because the British Gypsum bloke showing us around one of the British Gypsum plants told us that out of date stock gets reintroduced in very small quantities to fresh batches?

Why would he say this then? :huh:

Or maybe me & the 4 other members off here who heard him say it are imagining it? :RpS_unsure:

Thanks in advance for your reply. :RpS_thumbup:

Hi British Gypsum thanks for your reply :RpS_thumbup:

But i'm a bit confused because the British Gypsum bloke showing us around one of the British Gypsum plants told us that out of date stock gets reintroduced in very small quantities to fresh batches?

Why would he say this then? :huh:

Or maybe me & the 4 other members off here who heard him say it are imagining it? :RpS_unsure:

Thanks in advance for your reply. :RpS_thumbup:

You're right Lee he definitely did say that, just like he said any we want some free gear just give him a buzz. Or was I imagining that.

Dunno if anyone else does this but i dont need that uni finish crap i just pour a pint of pva per bag into the tub while mixing, this avoids the need to pva walls first or use that over priced uni finish crap.

Sorry haggis i was pulling yr leg mate, i used the old dodgy builders quote Yea ive never had a problem, been doing it this way for years :RpS_lol:

sorry to say that theirs no trick you will have to carry on pva ing the walls first :RpS_wink:

Sorry haggis i was pulling yr leg mate, i used the old dodgy builders quote Yea ive never had a problem, been doing it this way for years :RpS_lol:

sorry to say that theirs no trick you will have to carry on pva ing the walls first :RpS_wink:
GOT me:RpS_mad: :rolleyes)

you caught many this season? isnt the haggis season coming to an end, end of next week?

Last edited:
No chance putting my name on the line / look like a fool cos of untested materials , people have probably lost work because of it or least not had a happy customer !
Yeah I used it to day for the first time half the wall was sound the other half I suggested Moving the cupboard over
Just flew in tearing pulled it back tho wall was about 15m2 all I got on in a Gague didn't trust it
ain't worth £11.50 a bag pva all the way

Status
Not open for further replies.