The customer is always right?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jurek

Private Member
When you're self-employed you sometimes come across right nimrods. You've got to grin and bear it. I'm always polite, take the extra time to leave a place as clean as I've found it, return messages and calls straight away, make sure the jobs spot on, and don't rip people off. But there are just some customers who have no ******* idea.

Had a bloke call me today. Was meant to be doing the job the end of next week. Old Victorian house. Large bedroom ceiling that needed a touch of remedial work - knocking out a few spongey bits and dubbing out - and then skimming. But they've had a change of mind. Another spread has told them the whole ceiling needs pulling and boarding. Absolute b*ll***s. They still want me to do the job and to requote on that basis as they don't particularly like the other guy...:confused: But they like him enough to take his word over mine. You try and treat people fairly. Politely told them to use the other guy.

A couple of weeks ago there was some Nigerian bloke. Seemed like a nice guy. Friendly. I'd worked for him a couple of weeks before, reboarded a bathroom ceiling after a leak. I get another call for skimming a knocked through living / dining room. It's a council house and the walls had been dabbed and wallpapered, no finish. All the facing ripped to pieces when stripped. Get the job and turn up three weeks later to start. The blokes wife is sitting on a deck chair in the room watching some GOD channel. I crack on anyway, PVA the walls, cut the beads, unscrew the sockets etc. Then I suggest to the bloke's wife that I'll need to cover the TV and place it out the way. She gets up and goes into the kitchen and a huge row erupts with her husband. FFS. I'm thinking it's because I've hinted I need a bit of room to breath, but it's something else. He hasn't got the money to pay me. His wife - THANKYOU! - has told him to tell me before I go any further. He gets paid in three weeks, and can give me a postdated cheque! Unbelievable. I tell him to call me back in three weeks and I'll do the job then. pack up the gear and leave. Didn't seem right somehow. Like a plastering version of the Nigerian email scam. Never heard back. probably still sitting there on deckchairs.

And there's more

Before signing professional Zurawski worked in a shoe recycling factory. Said it was soul destroying.

Yes we are, isn't it fun. :RpS_thumbsup:

It certainly is. :RpS_unsure:

One good thing about being self employed is being able to tell someone how it is. Just think of all those subservient 9 to 5's who hate their boss but can't utter a word. Had a bloke last year who i phoned on a Sunday afternoon to confirm there would be someone to let me in the following day. It was bathroom that had been gutted, back to brick, just the toilet left in case I needed a slash. Was silent on the phone for about ten seconds and then said "it's considered rude to phone about business on a Sunday...". Let it go, but then sat there in the garden with a beer and thought about it and phoned him back and told him to get someone else to do the job :RpS_biggrin: His wife phoned me back about a half hour later and asked if I would still come, said he wasn't good with dealing with tradespeople.... He was an arse when I went to price the job, you always get a feeling. Rich part of the country as well. Probably spoke to people like that in his office, I think he was an estate agent...

Stream of consciousness spontaneous prose thing going on here. Too much Kerouac. Maybe the Cabsav

Maybe he didn't want you calling him on a Sunday because you are really boring and he needed the holy day to recharge before the next weeks onslaught.......

Maybe he didn't want you calling him on a Sunday because you are really boring and he needed the holy day to recharge before the next weeks onslaught.......
't be right

Actually , that can't be right. If you were starting the job then you may have a point:

"Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them"

Joseph Heller.

LOL..............I remember when I first started I used to actually listen to customers suggestions FFS!!!!

Now I ask them what they want to achieve and then tell them what I think is the best way forward - my way :RpS_thumbup:

@Jurek i hope u didnt give him ur bank account details lol :RpS_laugh:

No chance. Had too many emails along the same line. :RpS_thumbup:

He must have got someone to do the job, or else they're still sitting there on the deckchairs watching GOD Tv or whatever it was. Maybe he tried to do the job himself :RpS_biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.