Tape and joint new builds

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes alot are but the main contractors aren't happy with the finish of either tape and joint or gypsum skim. While gypsum can be done right there are far to many s**t skimmers out there

Yes alot are but the main contractors aren't happy with the finish of either tape and joint or gypsum skim. While gypsum can be done right there are far to many s**t skimmers out there
Whats bad about the finish with tape and joint vs skim if both done right. If it can be done right with tape and joint surely its cheaper quicker and less mess then skimming

People been telling me for ages they not happy with my finish

I just say I have always finished at 1pm

With tape and joint I always notice it damages easily, and where a plasterer would use angle beads a dry liner uses some sort of folding trim tape that peels off. Poor finish in my opinion.

Can u imagine paying £200,000+ for a new build house that's been tape and jointed! Tape and joint looks awfull after 5 years you can tell difference between tape n joint and skimming after a few years

Tape and joint is ideal for all these mass produced slums that are everywhere. If you wallpaper a wall that has been taped, and then one day you strip the paper I'm sure you would wreck the wall?

Priced a kitchen other day where bird stripped paper and half the board came with it, going to cost her a fortune skimming around all units when all sje wanted to do was change colour of the walls, f**k tape and jointing, total waste of time.

It's just diy as far as I'm concerned proper shoddy finish and 1 slight bump in ur wall and uve got a hole in ur nice new house like sum1 said just a cheaper and quicker way which means more profit for massive corporations there's a site literally 2 mins from me and its f**k**g huge! I'm talking about 500 houses and yep all tape n jointed and sum selling for over £300,000+

Haven't done much t&j not sure speed would be much different?(maybe because I do more skimming) skim is more durable,I know which one I'd choose for my own property.

I have woodchip in every room so it doesnt matter. :cool:
Wat u havnt taken it off?? Every bedroom in my house was wood chip bought it from sum old dear who passed away so she hadn't decorated for 40 years! Made a deal with bird she took all wood chip off il plaster the rooms,took her ages :lol:

Have almost skimed entire ground floor of my mates 4bed semi over last four years. He has three sub ten youngsters and a busy home life. My in laws , two professionals no kids bought at same time also T&J no problems, If you go with finished taping don't have kids.

Sent from my HUAWEI G6-L11 using Tapatalk

The only real difference is the joint cement is more flexible then skim so is less like to crack.
It's only comparable in quality to a skim finish if you can't plaster properly.

used to do loads of it...builders prefer for 2 reasons only and neither is for quality...less materials and quicker to dry, thus quicker to paint and generally pay less labour also

I'm doing more and more high end jobs where they are asking for it. I wonder if the reason is because there are less really good plasterers around that skim to a perfect finish. I only know a couple of spreads that I could recommend to do a top job. I'm doing this at the moment, it'll be about a million and a half once finished, and I'm taping it.
9977f69567afd86976855dcaf2e3b9cd.jpg
52961ced6e71c232d1c79e5b4a445e26.jpg
4d93450617a1d2ee8365abfe8e28d82a.jpg
8b18e94776c7d464011dd2c7c7632c7f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bet it looks f**k**g terrible after 5 years of a few kids banging off the wall....if the builder wants to pay people to do it then why not but like above wouldnt have it in my house.

I did several pre-schools a few years back and used Duraline plasterboards which are hard as f**k. House builders are never going to pay out the extra for that though.

I'm doing more and more high end jobs where they are asking for it. I wonder if the reason is because there are less really good plasterers around that skim to a perfect finish. I only know a couple of spreads that I could recommend to do a top job. I'm doing this at the moment, it'll be about a million and a half once finished, and I'm taping it.

That looks mint tone (y).
Need some external photos im imaging that like a Bond villans lair.

Fck me id love to board that f**k*r

I did several pre-schools a few years back and used Duraline plasterboards which are hard as f**k. House builders are never going to pay out the extra for that though.

Them duralines are tough as nails used them once in my life on Leeds general infarmary like u say builders arnt willing to pay extra

I'm about 2/3 the way through the boarding at present. Having to board most of it horizontally.

U using plain boards and soundblock? Or monster duralines? Were doing a big house at min over 2000m2 and all stadard 12.5mm plain boards as builder wanted to cut bk on cost we was loving it as u can sling them round on ur bell end compared to soundblock etc its very rare these days we get to do full houses in standard board

U using plain boards and soundblock? Or monster duralines? Were doing a big house at min over 2000m2 and all stadard 12.5mm plain boards as builder wanted to cut bk on cost we was loving it as u can sling them round on ur bell end compared to soundblock etc its very rare these days we get to do full houses in standard board
Standard 12.5 mostly. Moisture board in the ensuites, and 9.5 on the tighter curves. It's a holiday home, older couple so no kids to f**k it up.

Standard 12.5 mostly. Moisture board in the ensuites, and 9.5 on the tighter curves. It's a holiday home, older couple so no kids to f**k it up.

Builder ant even used moisture its his own house I suppose so his choice,we had a big curve like uve got in his master bedroom used 6mm boards went around the curve like a dream

Status
Not open for further replies.