Stitched up

Members online

Martin Riddell

Had a lad who’s been eorking for us since school phone me today to say he’s got another job after 3 years.
Put him through college, bough him kit, gave him holiday pay! Probably only been any good the last 6 months and the slight whiff of a bit more £££ and he’s gone. Didn’t even come and see me to chat about more money etc. where’s the loyalty gone with the youth of today!

Had a lad who’s been eorking for us since school phone me today to say he’s got another job after 3 years.
Put him through college, bough him kit, gave him holiday pay! Probably only been any good the last 6 months and the slight whiff of a bit more £££ and he’s gone. Didn’t even come and see me to chat about more money etc. where’s the loyalty gone with the youth of today!

Where money is concerned there is no loyalty regardless of age.

I agree with everything you say but from the lads side or any lad, if you stay with the same firm or people after finishing your apprenticeship or whatever you are always looked on as “the boy” and paid accordingly, if you give him a bit of time to find out what it’s really like out there he may come back to you or want to, failing that put a contract out on him with his own wages

Where money is concerned there is no loyalty regardless of age.
Tbf I've turned down 2 jobs offering slightly more money (extra 10r a day) last 6 months, one from a different prev employer, but next time I get an offer I'm going to definitely give it significant Consideration, as if current employer doesn't value me enough to match it, ill jump. No I'll will but I've a family to think of too, out of loyalty I've knocked it back twice already. Heard on grape vine the prev employer is looking for men again, he might get in touch. He was better at Xmas than current boss too, and paid more if had to drive as well, but u were harder worked. Lol

Tell him he broke your heart, then block him from ur phone.messages.wassap.facebook.twitter the lot.
Somebody thinks hes worth more so leave em crack on.

It’s not just about the weekly wage it’s the run of work as well and to be honest the harder you work the quicker the day goes much better than sitting on your butt watching the clock

It’s not just about the weekly wage it’s the run of work as well and to be honest the harder you work the quicker the day goes much better than sitting on your butt watching the clock
That aimed at me? f**k don't get chance to sit and clock watch mate, not at either, but with my old one, on price, u hardly got a second to urself. But sure that's what grips like anyway. And aye obviously the run of work is important too.

At least you got a call, I wouldn’t of even rung ya if I was gonna get another £1 a day

He will probably come back in time, the young lads get big ideas as soon as they learn to skim. After just three years I doubt he can do much probably hasn’t got half the kit he needs either.

That aimed at me? f**k don't get chance to sit and clock watch mate, not at either, but with my old one, on price, u hardly got a second to urself. But sure that's what grips like anyway. And aye obviously the run of work is important too.
It wasn’t aimed at anyone in particular

Very many moons ago........my uncle did his apprenticeship as a hand engraver....5years college and bench work, s**t pay ( my grandad had to pay an indenture, (money to cover his lack of profitability), annually)....then there was a further 2years improving. Then he had “made it”........Then they sacked him! He was told there would be a full time job for him at top rate of pay......in 2 years time! By doing this, his employer ensured that he got 2 years seeing how his apprenticeship wasn’t so bad after all.........clever eh?

Just bought him s new mega mixer as well!! Still I’ll take it out his last wage packet!
Very few stay too long too many filling their heads up with stories of riches.Out of curiosity why give a worker a mega mixer to keep if he’s an employee?.If he’s any integrity he should hand it back.

I left the two plasterers that taught me and that was because they would knock me and do things like over book meterage before christmas and then when we got on site in january he would say that we were all working for free... even though I was on £40 a day...

I stuck with them long enough to learn and get competent and broke away and even if I got one job a week I was better off :D

turned out I got loads of work and I took one of the other plasterers on for a job and took great pleasure in knocking some of his wages (about £40) and when I started using the lines he started to use on me he knew what i had done :D

Very few stay too long too many filling their heads up with stories of riches.Out of curiosity why give a worker a mega mixer to keep if he’s an employee?.If he’s any integrity he should hand it back.

Naw no real need for that, I'd say not often heard of bosses buying stuff like that for there men. Saying that first man I used work for did that, although if u left u wouldn't have got keeping it, he just had that. Much work on he had to have so many tools spread about vans etc there on fella with him though that sees everything he's given as his own all the same, I kind of that boss got new edges and stuff, then he'd put them on bi's shed and replace them with his old s**t ones.... Same with buckets lol. i know I wouldnt be keeping any tools like that if I was going to just f**k off. If he doesn't give it back he's a total w**k*r.

Sad state of affairs and a bit naughty of the other fella, especially if you know him but the nature of the beast. Did he ask for more money?

Naw no real need for that, I'd say not often heard of bosses buying stuff like that for there men. Saying that first man I used work for did that, although if u left u wouldn't have got keeping it, he just had that. Much work on he had to have so many tools spread about vans etc there on fella with him though that sees everything he's given as his own all the same, I kind of that boss got new edges and stuff, then he'd put them on bi's shed and replace them with his old s**t ones.... Same with buckets lol. i know I wouldnt be keeping any tools like that if I was going to just f**k off. If he doesn't give it back he's a total w**k*r.
I suppose there comes a time when a lad has to sink or swim but they should do it in the right manner without burning bridges.Apart from a son or relative I can’t see the point of training anyone.

I suppose there comes a time when a lad has to sink or swim but they should do it in the right manner without burning bridges.Apart from a son or relative I can’t see the point of training anyone.
I've trained a few close friends and apprentices and done it for them to have a career. They all left too early on bad terms but all ended well but wishes they had stayed on and learnt more. He has probably been offered a pot of gold in the pub around New Year's Eve lol I know a bloke who gives atleast three people a job in the pub no matter which pub it is hahahaha He will give them a meet time, either not turn up or cancel on the morning if he can remember lol I would say the whisk was yours if he only used it just for you and if he wanted it give it him for what it's worth if he wants it. Leave him to it, you never know you might get him back at a reduced rate lol

Definitely has to be done in the right manner. Yeah realistically no one stays at any firm forever, or at least very few anyways. Any one I've left I've tried to leave it as amicably as possible, simply as never know if I need to go back some time in future, always good to at least have no bad blood then in case. But after 3years and being looked after as Martin says, buyin him gear and all a little more loyalty should be given. I'm one the younger Ones doin it where Im at and I'm 33 this month. We have a wee labourer apprentice in our squad,but hell be a brave while yet before he's anywhere near ready, and there is maybe another 2.about our town, and my age and up there is easily a hundred plasterers about the local area, possibly more. No young boys or labourers coming into it, so some will need trained. Upside is once the older ones start retiring prices might actually go up. As u say though to train up random lads for a few years, then for them to f**k off and price against u, takes the want to do it out of u. Lol

Sad state of affairs and a bit naughty of the other fella, especially if you know him but the nature of the beast. Did he ask for more money?
I only put his money up just before Xmas, if he’d came to me and said abouy it I could of probably but it up another £10 a day or something. But he can only put on about 2 bags s day and can’t render or float so there’s only so much you can give.

If you're employing someone and supplying equipment for them to use, it's still yours. You haven't bought it for them personally but for your company, well unless you're daft enough to give them as gifts?
I've had people leave and think they're leaving with their full tool kit, are they f**k!
I realised long, long ago that teaching a youngster anything just moved them nearer to their leaving date. Teach them only what they need to know, not what they want to know.