Stitched up

Members online

If this lad has left to work for direct competition it’s a big kick in the balls! So frustrating these situations.

If you're employing someone and supplying equipment for them to use, it's still yours. You haven't bought it for them personally but for your company, well unless you're daft enough to give them as gifts?
I've had people leave and think they're leaving with their full tool kit, are they f**k!
I realised long, long ago that teaching a youngster anything just moved them nearer to their leaving date. Teach them only what they need to know, not what they want to know.

He should of given you notice of at least a week, there may be other reasons he's left , some one may have promised him the moon, he may have over exaggerated his worth , our world is a tough one, burning bridges isn't good, ignore him for at least six months , nothing wrong with training people ,it's all part of life ,wish him the best and move on, tell him he has to pay for the drill , be straight even if he hasn't been completely fair ,

I only put his money up just before Xmas, if he’d came to me and said abouy it I could of probably but it up another £10 a day or something. But he can only put on about 2 bags s day and can’t render or float so there’s only so much you can give.
Has he gone self employed subbying?

He will probably come back in time, the young lads get big ideas as soon as they learn to skim. After just three years I doubt he can do much probably hasn’t got half the kit he needs either.
Will contradict myself a little here, after three years all he has been taught is how to skim? Perhaps he wants to progress and learn more why can’t he render yet? Stuck on the mixer ? I feel for the young apprentices of all trades they are just used for cheap labour, normally training is, at best average in most cases. The lad has obviously got ambition of his own and wasn’t satisfied enough in his job to stay put.

Will contradict myself a little here, after three years all he has been taught is how to skim? Perhaps he wants to progress and learn more why can’t he render yet? Stuck on the mixer ? I feel for the young apprentices of all trades they are just used for cheap labour, normally training is, at best average in most cases. The lad has obviously got ambition of his own and wasn’t satisfied enough in his job to stay put.
No one stopped what they were doing to teach me. I had to be fast enough to make some spare time to be able to watch, learn and then jump in and do bits. No mean feat, if I say so myself, labouring on two guys throwing S&C up the walls.
By making it too easy you're just encouraging the useless, lazy carrots out there.
If someone really wants it they'll do it.

No one stopped what they were doing to teach me. I had to be fast enough to make some spare time to be able to watch, learn and then jump in and do bits. No mean feat, if I say so myself, labouring on two guys throwing S&C up the walls.
By making it too easy you're just encouraging the useless, lazy carrots out there.
I spent my first two years mixing sand cement and hardwall and picked up a bit of skimming, after four years I could float and render to an average standard, after six years I was coving and boarding ceilings on my own. My apprenticeship was shite, two years labouring when I was meant to be learning. In the end I had to go self employed to actually learn anything. Young lads get used for cheap labour Normally, the guy said himself he could have given him an extra £10 a day but decided not to, also no mention of a company van or owt? I was driving around in my little Renault 5 being sent to do jobs on my own. Definitely you have to start at the bottom labouring etc but you need a bit of trowel time and proper training too, three years and this lad can only skim two bags a day? What sort of training is that? If the lad was a waste of space he would have been sacked not leave on his own accord?

the only time I got pushed up a little bit was when they took on a younger lad than me as I was already doing labouring flattening off rubbing up cutting out last trowel ect but when they got the new kid in I had to nurse him as well so glad I ain’t working in a gang anymore

It's always been the same,
Lads think the grass is greener, they hear rubbish from others about so and so getting more money etc.
I've had loads with us on the books and subbies, once there gone there gone there's no way back for them, I treat lads well and they still clear off. There good spreads but most are as thick as mince.
I had a subbie that I paid well, been with me nearly 5 years and looked after, I even advanced him a few grand when he had time off when his son died of a coke overdose,(another reason why I hate drugs, I saw it ruin his dad with worry and bailing him out with money) anyhow he came back for a few weeks then told me he's leaving for another crew because he was getting more money a day and he could finish early on a Friday. 6 week later he's on the blower"have you any work Richard, there messing me about with payments"
I politely said nope.

Had a lad who’s been eorking for us since school phone me today to say he’s got another job after 3 years.
Put him through college, bough him kit, gave him holiday pay! Probably only been any good the last 6 months and the slight whiff of a bit more £££ and he’s gone. Didn’t even come and see me to chat about more money etc. where’s the loyalty gone with the youth of today!
Same happened to me. Spineless t**t text to say he'd quit wouldn't even speak to me

I.m opposite I tell my lad he should go get a job with council n enjoy easy life and guaranteed work

I.m opposite I tell my lad he should go get a job with council n enjoy easy life and guaranteed work
I did a stint of council work when I returned from Germany and it was soul destroying and made me angry and volatile

Doubt he'd have the balls to mate. He got sacked from where he went to going behind his new boss's back doing a job on his own for one of his customers sneaky backstabbing c**t. I'm glad he got found out
Looks like you're better shot of the wee rat then.

Happened me for years, stuck on the mixer and drill all the time, skimming at least is easier to pick up, but sand cement, etc not so much, wheeling or bucketing in to 2-3 maybe 4 men, by time uv board loaded stick a hawk or 2 on, its empty again and uv to go back out. No good that, only so far u can go on the mixer flat out. Then Left to clean out too. Had it for years, paid terrible money, and expected to labour, coat, trowel, rub up, clean etc and for the same as what he was paying boys to just labour. For long periods lost head and didn't take tools out van. Then first chance to get away I jumped at it obviously

Same as that, once everything was sorted for the next two gauges I had a little bit of time but what seemed like old boys to a sixteen year old were fast and good and helped me a lot, they always said if you want it you will find the time and I did, though the way the trade has been split up now I am not so sure there are many of those men or firms around now

Happened me for years, stuck on the mixer and drill all the time, skimming at least is easier to pick up, but sand cement, etc not so much, wheeling or bucketing in to 2-3 maybe 4 men, by time uv board loaded stick a hawk or 2 on, its empty again and uv to go back out. No good that, only so far u can go on the mixer flat out. Then Left to clean out too. Had it for years, paid terrible money, and expected to labour, coat, trowel, rub up, clean etc and for the same as what he was paying boys to just labour. For long periods lost head and didn't take tools out van. Then first chance to get away I jumped at it obviously
I look back on my time with frustration, still bugs me now infact I don’t know how I stuck with it but I persevered. Learnt loads more learning on the job than I did with my first gang of plasters.

I look back on my time with frustration, still bugs me now infact I don’t know how I stuck with it but I persevered. Learnt loads more learning on the job than I did with my first gang of plasters.
All joking aside ish that is f**k**g sad are you glad you stuck with it

All joking aside ish that is f**k**g sad are you glad you stuck with it
That doesn’t make sense? Am I glad I stuck with it? Yes I’ve managed to make it work. My point earlier was that it’s not just the apprentices to blame the way the training is conducted is shameful most of the time. The guy I worked for was also getting funding from the citb and just using me for cheap labour.

That doesn’t make sense? Am I glad I stuck with it? Yes I’ve managed to make it work. My point earlier was that it’s not just the apprentices to blame the way the training is conducted is shameful most of the time. The guy I worked for was also getting funding from the citb and just using me for cheap labour.
What I meant was are you glad you left but stayed in the trade? The f**k**g sad bit was the way you and others were and are treated as cheap labourers with pretty much no hope of learning Plastering and everything that entails, not just scimming

What I meant was are you glad you left but stayed in the trade? The f**k**g sad bit was the way you and others were and are treated as cheap labourers with pretty much no hope of learning Plastering and everything that entails, not just scimming
It was a bold move leaving at such an early stage I wasn’t very experienced and had limited ability, but it was time to move on and progress so it was a good decision. Still learning now 17 years on , never stop learning, loads of bagged render finishes I’m not yet familiar with, my floor screeding skills are poor , better than most guys on fixing mf ceilings metal work etc always room for improvements I guess that’s what keeps it interesting.

What's f**k**g scimming ffs lol only messing pal

It was a bold move leaving at such an early stage I wasn’t very experienced and had limited ability, but it was time to move on and progress so it was a good decision. Still learning now 17 years on , never stop learning, loads of bagged render finishes I’m not yet familiar with, my floor screeding skills are poor , better than most guys on fixing mf ceilings metal work etc always room for improvements I guess that’s what keeps it interesting.
We never stop learning mate everyday a school day. After 30 years im still learning too always new products etc plus others have better ways of doing things etc

Same, but mine was years and years, I was able to leave walls better than the men I was attending, could bead better,some used ask me to view them for them ffs etc course the speed wasn't there. Too busy sorting tubs, skim, water etc wasn't even them boys faults for theu only were employees, wasn't their job to teach me, and possibly better they didn't for they were rough enough lol an Awk mate I wasted years, literally wasted years, but cause ended up stuck in a rut, and couldn't get anything else as no one had enough to take an extra man on, I stuck it out til could escape. Thankfully it's worked out in the end, but, was a few times I was Gona throw the head up and sell all my tools to f**k. Should have worked out years earlier than it did. But got there in the end, I'd put too much time and effort into it to bin it off and go do something else from scratch

Dashing is weak, only roughcasted and dashed a couple of times, and because of that means it's always someone else in the squad on the dasher when it comes to it(boss usually prefers to do it himself anyways) only actually started doing bands couple years ago, all work was executive/council so was either rubbed up or mono, but beads around windows. Only since started doing private new builds getting more of the projective base and bands and all that. It's good the work we get here, for it does get mixed up a lot, scratching, rubbing, dashing, internal s and c floating, skimming, ceilings usually bonded here depending on the builder or spec.

Dashing is weak, only roughcasted and dashed a couple of times, and because of that means it's always someone else in the squad on the dasher when it comes to it(boss usually prefers to do it himself anyways) only actually started doing bands couple years ago, all work was executive/council so was either rubbed up or mono, but beads around windows. Only since started doing private new builds getting more of the projective base and bands and all that. It's good the work we get here, for it does get mixed up a lot, scratching, rubbing, dashing, internal s and c floating, skimming, ceilings usually bonded here depending on the builder or spec.
That’s what I like about Plastering it’s always different not just the same old s**t every day