spray finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibbo

[video]http://www.british-gypsum.com/products/thistle_plaster_products/thistle_finish_coat_plasters/thistle_spray_finish_promotion/thistle_spray_finish_videos/applying_the_plaster.aspx[/video]

Last edited:
Looks like they can't get the pressure on with a spat in all fairness none of them look like they know what there doing why spend a fortune on making a product and a grand on marketing

just viewed video again. Are they promoting the spatt or the gobbo??????:RpS_biggrin:

3 men on that lift ain`t going to make much wonga:RpS_biggrin:

Gary, if you use the 40" spat it is quicker and makes the the second trowel easier. just waiting for matty boy to come alone and pick this video apart.

dont see it paul its not precise enough by the time them blokes fcuk about with them spats id have trowelled the room 1 time

The spat seems to just tidy it up rather than flatten it? If you hand applied this would it be 1 or 2 coats? Looks good if you've got a large area to do as there's plenty of time to play with.

dont see it paul its not precise enough by the time them blokes fcuk about with them spats id have trowelled the room 1 time

its coz ur from the stone age. theyre good to walk across big walls with. it only takes 2 or 3 swipes. just for a quick flatten

Plus a 2.4 straight edge would be £100+ cheaper than a spat, for what they are these spats are expensive. I always say if it aint broke dont fix it.

shut up you bunch of pussy's , i bet you would all be screaming the paddle was better than the electric mixing paddle when they first come out.

BG must have done market research to spend money on developing a product and Knauf spray plasters obviously have had a part in them realizing there is a market in a spray plaster.
U don't need to chase millions of meters. 10 extra meters (1 more wall) per set at 3 sets a day will soon have your investment paid for without sounding unrealistic.
Inside work like skimming is more productive over a long term because there are less uncontrollable interruptions with weather, temperature and prepping.

It wouldn't take long to train an apprentice to spray this stuff or another apprentice to flatten behind. the plasterer could then follow straight behind on a first trowel that only leaves 2 more trowels over the areas till its finished. I'm pretty sure i could get some boys trained up quickly in just skimming.

Problem is aswell jenks you can teach a lab to lay on and finish it too, if you still have to turn around and trowel it up in an allotted time you might aswell do it by hand, machines are mint but in my eyes there good for getting stuff on at 18mm not 2-3

Problem is aswell jenks you can teach a lab to lay on and finish it too, if you still have to turn around and trowel it up in an allotted time you might aswell do it by hand, machines are mint but in my eyes there good for getting stuff on at 18mm not 2-3

Yeah i've used it now nick.

Jenks Every plastering application has a time limit to get it on and get it finished. And how long would it take to train someone by hand to get to your level of output. The goal with any plastering machine is to achieve the earning of a larger gang whilst keeping your overheads down. Take a 2+1 gang for eg on skimming. say they can do 140 m2 between them a day. Thats 700 m2 a week at say £3 is 2,100 a week. pay the lab 250 that leaves a top line of 925 a week. Those rates are shish but how many spreads do u know are on 925 a week every week they work.
Truth is things go wrong on site all the time and nothing goes to plan for a whole year. Those bad days you end up sharing some real poor wages and having to pay your lab.
Now if you can get a couple of trainees on the go at say £200 a week. then with the machine build up a good routine between you and start looking to get the 140 mts on a day between you. You will have a set 400 sovs to pay out and the rest is yours. On bad days where there is not much to do you can send the trainees in whilst you watch predator again.
You arent putting any more on than a good 2 + 1 but you arent splitting the money either.

I can see where you're coming from jenks but there are going to be jobs you wouldn't be assed with a machine and all of a sudden you're left with 2 blokes labouring on you, don't get me wrong they could be mint I'm speaking hypothetically Untill I use one I wont know but I still think if you're lab can lay on and finish you'll keep up with a 1-1 gang spraying finish........nicks the best man to say he sprays skim

its arite nick, First spray and my butty was running round like a headless chicken. (not a spread) I couldn't tell him a thing. He said he was never gonna use it again ever...ever.

After the 3rd set and he was doing what he was told things were getting easier and we started looking at ways we could improve our system.

I was thinking
1 spray followed by 1 flattening the spray followed by a 3rd giving it a nice flattening down with a steel. Then the sprayer goes to clean the machine and do some prep and the 2nd person starts with a plastic. 3 rd person can have a clean up and help with a plastic. have a cuppa and then give it a final trowel whilst the 1st person finishes prepping and gets the machine ready again for a second set.

I still think it's machines for machines sake with spray skim....if a 'simple plaster spray machine' was around a grand or so with no rotors and stators to change and no compressors or water headaches or gennie issues then maybe it would take off.
Instead of turning up to work and just concentrating on getting it on the wall you'd have first had to assemble a crack team of formula 1 pit style spray heads for peanuts and add in unloading the expensive machine off the van, getting it up stairs etc, setting it up, masking and finally thinking about getting it on the wall. Only to then get all stessed at things being ready in front of you for your mega skimming shower set when nobody else seems to share your worries.....all because it was you who parted with 5.5k plus vat to do what the other gang who turned up in a taxi started doing 1.5 hrs ago by hand and a megamixer lol rant over

its arite nick, First spray and my butty was running round like a headless chicken. (not a spread) I couldn't tell him a thing. He said he was never gonna use it again ever...ever.

After the 3rd set and he was doing what he was told things were getting easier and we started looking at ways we could improve our system.

I was thinking
1 spray followed by 1 flattening the spray followed by a 3rd giving it a nice flattening down with a steel. Then the sprayer goes to clean the machine and do some prep and the 2nd person starts with a plastic. 3 rd person can have a clean up and help with a plastic. have a cuppa and then give it a final trowel whilst the 1st person finishes prepping and gets the machine ready again for a second set.

im not sure on the 3 hits cleaning the machine out 3 times. i find it takes quite a while to clean the skim setup. what weve tried is 2 of us, spray 1 or 2 walls on, both flatten and chill for 10 mins, then put one more wall on, 1st guy gives the 1 walls a trowel, 2nd flattens 1st wall, give it a few mins then another wall on, 1st guy can prob get on the 1st 3 walls, 2nd guy flatten the sprayed wall, and so on. then hopefully u dont need to clean the machine out too much. just needed to clean the end of the gun every now and then

Its just me Nik but i just cant see the rolling set going smoothly nick. It never works by hand You could get caught on a wall and before you know it the machines clogged. I just dont fancy it with skim because it can go off when your in the zone and then u gota clean it all out and control the walls which have gone on you.
let the machine run dry so water comes out, stick your meatballs through, scrub your gun and put a bucket under the pump turn it on for a minute and spray it down with some clean water 10 mins tops.
I think the ticket with this set up is to apply the same as you would by hand and get used to cleaning it and getting it set up asap then training people up to a level where you are laying on more and they are exceeding their costs

Hi, i read the MP75 thread the other day which i see alot of you have commented on. i called that number that was on there and spoke to the guy that does the demo's. went over and saw it in full swing on a little wall. enough for me to get the idea anyway. he used that spat from start to finish pretty much and that wall was silky smooth. he did make it look effortless and he does seem to know his stuff. i would say to any non believer to go and see for them selves at no risk to them and pass there own judgment. as with anything new, there are pro's and con's but you make it work for you.

Let’s not forget the reason BG came up with this "spray finish". Multi finish is not to be sprayed as it does not bond correctly to the surface and BG will not back you up if you spray apply it. Spray finish is a very fine grade and is for use on over skim, as the moisture will be drawn out of the skim in no time
. So now this tells you that only plasterboard can be sprayed with the special order spray skim at around 5.60 a bag. Just some input

Status
Not open for further replies.