Sponge float...one coat.

Members online

FreeD

Private Member
Those who use the sponge float method...

Anybody just put one thick coat on...spat then sponge on old walls?

I'm doing 2 coats (without cleaning out bucket between mixes) but thinking is 2 coats necessary.

Definitely no need to do 2 coats on plasterboard...but old walls?

Those who use the sponge float method...

Anybody just put one thick coat on...spat then sponge on old walls?

I'm doing 2 coats (without cleaning out bucket between mixes) but thinking is 2 coats necessary.

Definitely no need to do 2 coats on plasterboard...but old walls?

Everything youve said is wrong its rhe opposite if anything

Think its pretty obvious of the 2 plasterboard is what you could get away 1 coating if inclined

Of course it would be criminal to put 2 coats on plasterboard...but maybe its worth giving it the one coat wonder on old walls...just a nice thick coat, spat, brush, sponge. Only problem is the internal corners.

Stop sponging it's morally wrong if anything!
No m8 I thought the same get it on as quickly as pos but flat no need to worry about trowel marks leave it for 15minute sponge over then very tight trowel over job done. Happy days all about timing!

ffs.gif

Sponge float is good if you have to put on a good thickness of skim to cover a uneven background.

What is the reason for using any float, the float will take excess off high spots and show up or fill low spots.
The most important thing is the end finish, not what method was used to achieve a flat, plumb/level surface.
If you are positive that your way is the only method, then carry on, I am open to try out different methods,
I would even try that Tapit Tape? if it was free. Please don't send me any, I will only say the truth if I use it and it is s**t.

Fill your beads and scrim tape with a tight coat of skim..

Generous coat good laying on
Flatten
Spray
Sponge
Trowel
Wet trowel
finishing trowel if you like

This is how site lads do it

Flatten
Spray
Sponge
Trowel
Wet trowel

Typical site mentality, chucking houses up which end up with numerous issues and poor buggers paying out the arse for s**t houses these days! Don’t get me wrong trying out different methods is fine but Iv seen plenty of s**t site work from numerous trades because quite frankly it’s not their rep on the line, it’s someone else’s issue.

domestic work is totally different, nowhere to hide if you f**k up.

Flatten
Spray
Sponge
Trowel
Wet trowel

what a fkin faff that is....thought sponging was easier?

knew it was a load of over-complicated bollox

Typical site mentality, chucking houses up which end up with numerous issues and poor buggers paying out the arse for s**t houses these days! Don’t get me wrong trying out different methods is fine but Iv seen plenty of s**t site work from numerous trades because quite frankly it’s not their rep on the line, it’s someone else’s issue.

not really
I house bash and do jobs for contract managers
doesn't mean site lads are rough mate

not really
I house bash and do jobs for contract managers
doesn't mean site lads are rough mate
Not saying all are bud, just with how government want more housing, more pressure on contractors to finish jobs on time so I understand how it all goes. I do feel for people who spend £300,000+ on a new build when to a trained eye there are many issues.

Hands down site proper plasterers are plasterers.domestic go on a site for 2 weeks and you will be off by the site foreman.different game all together.i did site in 90s went on a couple year ago and difference was night and day

On site work you are given the price,.
If the price don't match the job, then the standard of the job has to match the price.
I would not slag off any plasterers work if they were getting a s**t rate.

There's not may domestic plasters that earn £60k plus my friend

Yea but you sure work for it if you take into account all the time spent other than working we work 12 hour days and weekends doing paperwork etc.

If someone offered me 40K for 7-3 house bashing...and I didn't have to kill myself I'd probably take it.

I get what you are saying and to a certain degree agree but price workers have pretty much always left a s**t job because the rates are not good on site.