Soul destroying!

Members online

Olivercottenham

Ey up, New here and been lurking the last few weeks. Went to do my first plastering job ever after going on a course 2 month ago and doing my house (which has gone really well) I did everything I was taught.
Yesterday, everything was going great but then literally a nightmare came true on one bit.
I was doing an old wall which had wall paper removed, bits of filler all over, few cracks but was sound with no hollows. It had 3 coats of 3:1 Pva applied but seemed to soak in really quick. I started skimming, did 2 coats but the whole time I seemed to be chasing it and was going off pretty quick (a normal sized bedroom wall) Got both coats on and looked great but then looked 5 mins later and it was peeling off the wall in once place above the bedroom door!! Just that bit. I'd already done the ceiling the previous day and another wall and everything was fine.
Scraped it off just that bit, rest of it was fine (I think) and blathered some neat Pva on that bit of scraped off even that dried pretty quick, so I skimmed it again while it was tacky and was OK after that.
Just wondering why that would have happened? Could have done without that stress on my first real job, confidence is knocked a little and my finger knuckles and wrist are killing, been taking glucosamine and fish oil capsules for a week.

Attachments

• IMG_20201219_153750.jpg
    IMG_20201219_153750.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 284
Ey up, New here and been lurking the last few weeks. Went to do my first plastering job ever after going on a course 2 month ago and doing my house (which has gone really well) I did everything I was taught.
Yesterday, everything was going great but then literally a nightmare came true on one bit.
I was doing an old wall which had wall paper removed, bits of filler all over, few cracks but was sound with no hollows. It had 3 coats of 3:1 Pva applied but seemed to soak in really quick. I started skimming, did 2 coats but the whole time I seemed to be chasing it and was going off pretty quick (a normal sized bedroom wall) Got both coats on and looked great but then looked 5 mins later and it was peeling off the wall in once place above the bedroom door!! Just that bit. I'd already done the ceiling the previous day and another wall and everything was fine.
Scraped it off just that bit, rest of it was fine (I think) and blathered some neat Pva on that bit of scraped off even that dried pretty quick, so I skimmed it again while it was tacky and was OK after that.
Just wondering why that would have happened? Could have done without that stress on my first real job, confidence is knocked a little and my finger knuckles and wrist are killing, been taking glucosamine and fish oil capsules for a week.
That’s all popped!
I hope you ain’t charging these people for your lack of knowledge and inexperience.

You've encountered a wall consisting of multiple substrates with numerous suction levels no doubt. Wall has set on you too quick hence the cracking.
These are easy fixes for an experienced plasterer to guide you on and this proves that you need your hand holding by an experienced hand...my advice would be seek out a more experiences plasterer and offer to labour on him and gain more experience that the course hasn't addressed.
Good luck and stay away from paying jobs till you've gone done this road as the job you've taken on there is as easy as it gets

Its catching on that finish lol
IMG-20201207-WA0000.jpg

That’s all popped!
I hope you ain’t charging these people for your lack of knowledge and inexperience.
No it was a freebie for a lad I work with who had offered to donate a spare bedroom for me to get some more experience. Learned that not every situation is gonna be the same as it was when I did the course ‍♂️

You've encountered a wall consisting of multiple substrates with numerous suction levels no doubt. Wall has set on you too quick hence the cracking.
These are easy fixes for an experienced plasterer to guide you on and this proves that you need your hand holding by an experienced hand...my advice would be seek out a more experiences plasterer and offer to labour on him and gain more experience that the course hasn't addressed.
Good luck and stay away from paying jobs till you've gone done this road as the job you've taken on there is as easy as it gets
Yeah, that is what I will do. Definitely learned I'm far from ready from this encounter. Thanks for the reply

f**k**g coursers/YouTubers!! Time with other spreads is a must,
it's insulting that people think it's that easy to pick up and go and earn money. I was a labourer for years then apprentice then on site's to pick up speed.
Yeah kind of gathered that as I was watching it peel away..

Old walls like that I 80g sand with cheap giraffe hooked up to vac
(half price vac lidl boxing day) then beeline sealer (cheap) or gardz. Let that dry for hour with 20+inch fan (£25 and a game changer imo) or 4 hours without fan. Pva and when tacky skim. Old emulsion with no vinyl in or old distemper, plus the dry plaster and the paste residue on surface, just a coat of pva is sat on cit and going to get trouble. Get the surface contamination off with a quick sand and seal for trouble free plastering..

(half price vac lidl boxing day) then beeline sealer (cheap) or gardz. Let that dry for hour with 20+inch fan (£25 and a game changer imo) or 4 hours without fan. Pva and when tacky skim. Old emulsion with no vinyl in or old distemper, plus the dry plaster and the paste residue on surface, just a coat of pva is sat on cit and going to get trouble. Get the surface contamination off with a quick sand and seal for trouble free plastering..
Cheers for that, wouldn't have even thought to have done any of that. I'm way out of my depth I think

As always Wayne , no flies on you (y)
Do you ever cut corners lol

Where can I get a cheap Giraffe? Make a great Christmas gift for someone I know.

House plants of the climbing variety! Just leave one with each customer or just say it will settle in a few weeks :birra:

@bof

I try not to cut corners or you can get kicked off or not paid. I hate those phone call where customer says there are problems. I got caught on huge stair wall last year on the top half (new bit loft conversion) contract emulsion spat off the plaster with large bubbles ffs. Not been caught for years but they got me there. You got to have a good surface and I understand that many don't want to mess but just one hour doing some surface prep and no problems vs a nightmare.

Don't understand this place. I helped him by suggesting he work with a spread. Some People on here giving answers. So John Wayne will be coming to a town near you now undercutting you all...armed with his grit

it's insulting that people think it's that easy to pick up and go and earn money. I was a labourer for years then apprentice then on site's to pick up speed.
Very well said I totally agree courses are a load of shite i started on the bucket and barrow watching what the plasterer was doing and over time was allowed to pick up a trowel just to flatten a wall then progressed to the hot press on my own it takes years to learn how to plaster .doing a course then taking on a job is just stupid no experience and no real knowledge basically just a bluffer not by any means a plasterer ,sorry if it comes across harsh but he needs to learn the ropes

I think you can read information online and watch YouTube plus ask on fourms to learn. Old fashioned views of starting by making tea are long dead. It's the digital age now.
You can but it dosent mean us middle aged guys need to accept it without a fight. I came into the game late. Evening college course at 27, goldtrowel few months .later then started destroying my own home and a few of my rentals to learn lol. Done the same with my plumbing. Been to college to do.my City and guilds now and tackle my own jobs,fix my own house and work alongside a bathroom fitter. Does that make me a plumber..f**k no. That's an insult to lads whove done it man and boy and have forgotten more than ill ever know.

But on the same course there was a lad fitting boilers at weekends and getting his mate to sign it off ...no checks or building regs compliance and we went even on a gas course. Go figure

Got to be the most unregulated trade out there. I’ve have no qualifications but I’m time served, learnt from a old boy Who at the time had been plastering 45+ years. Trouble is now people think shinning one wall up, classes u as a competent spread lol

Don't understand this place. I helped him by suggesting he work with a spread. Some People on here giving answers. So John Wayne will be coming to a town near you now undercutting you all...armed with his grit
Failed blue grit posts coming this way lol
Bet the opinions about skilled trades and some having ago to make ends meet has been said for1000s of years. I've seen work that is brilliant by the people that have had no training. I've seen work done by trades that have been around for years that is terrible.
Especially engineers with dry lining

Bet the opinions about skilled trades and some having ago to make ends meet has been said for1000s of years. I've seen work that is brilliant by the people that have had no training. I've seen work done by trades that have been around for years that is terrible.
Standard of work is often directly proportional to the rate of pay.