Lime render repair gone wrong - help!!

Members online

dudley69

H Render 1.jpg
Render 1.jpg
Render 2.jpg
ello all,

We've just had our render repaired after it started to fall off in big patches off the top of our wall. The builders stripped back the top metre or so of the wall across the whole elevation, and rendered with Lime render (the house is an 1830s construction with solid brick walls).

Following painting the WHOLE wall (2 coats, silica based), the scaffold has now come down and it looks...

terrible! The new render is solid and pretty flat BUT the texture of the newly rendered section looks different - rougher- than the existing section. (I believe the original render is a Cement Render). I have started to talk to the builder, but I am not sure what the potential remedies are here. I think my options are:

1. Leave it (not really an option - it looks dreadful)
2. Sand down the finish to make it smoother and repaint (is this even possible?)
3. Add 2-3 more coats of paint, and hopefully this will hide the issues
4. Re do all the work - cut it out and start again.

On reflection, I'm not sure the renderer had used Lime Render before, and my understanding is that lime render needs a different approach to get 'smooth' (e.g. 1:1 lime: extra fine sand for the finish coat/ sponge finish etc.) - I'm pretty sure he didn't do either of those things and used the same mix as the scratch coat.

Has anyone seen a problem like this before? Is it fixable? Please help!

Scott

HView attachment 61021View attachment 61021View attachment 61022ello all,

We've just had our render repaired after it started to fall off in big patches off the top of our wall. The builders stripped back the top metre or so of the wall across the whole elevation, and rendered with Lime render (the house is an 1830s construction with solid brick walls).

Following painting the WHOLE wall (2 coats, silica based), the scaffold has now come down and it looks...

terrible! The new render is solid and pretty flat BUT the texture of the newly rendered section looks different - rougher- than the existing section. (I believe the original render is a Cement Render). I have started to talk to the builder, but I am not sure what the potential remedies are here. I think my options are:

1. Leave it (not really an option - it looks dreadful)
2. Sand down the finish to make it smoother and repaint (is this even possible?)
3. Add 2-3 more coats of paint, and hopefully this will hide the issues
4. Re do all the work - cut it out and start again.

On reflection, I'm not sure the renderer had used Lime Render before, and my understanding is that lime render needs a different approach to get 'smooth' (e.g. 1:1 lime: extra fine sand for the finish coat/ sponge finish etc.) - I'm pretty sure he didn't do either of those things and used the same mix as the scratch coat.

Has anyone seen a problem like this before? Is it fixable? Please help!

Scott

look on the bright side mate

it's better than your nieghbours :bananahappy:

Depends on what the expectations were initially as regards matching the existing, Looks like they haven't closed it in right. Look at a slightly textured breathable paint to take your eye off, the only issue is you will loose you're Ashlar feature i.e. the lines.

The render will be the least of your worries. Shame the builders didn't put wider copings on. You should have a drip groove running the whole way along around 20mm away from the wall on the underside of the copings. As it is now rainwater will run back into the building.

This work is perfectly acceptable for a PATCH job I have no understanding of why someone would think if they patch it would look the same ... the new work looks great your problem seems to be it doesn’t match it with the old horrible render!! Did you not get two quotes one to patch and one for the lot??