some crazy people out there

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotty34

afternoon all , went to price a job last week and just had to come on here and share it . woman rang me up asking for a quote on ripping out all old plaster board covered in artex in her attic , then cellotexing the attic , boarding it , dot and dab a wall up there then skim it out . so worked out a price , labour , materials a skip for the rubbish etc and told her how much , studying her face I knew straight away I wouldn't get the job lol . So I asked had she had another quote and her reply was yes two ' chippies ' had quoted her 1000 quid , that was labour materials , paying a plasterer to skim it out for them and also paying a sparky to put spotlights in for her lol :rolleyes) my quotation was nowhere near that , it took me a few minutes to stop laughing , and what made it worse was the fact this woman has bn tucked up by dodgy tradesmen before she was telling me lol gluton for punishment some people lol even tho I didn't get the job it did put a smile on my face wondering how the those chippies will make a penny of the job lol

afternoon all , went to price a job last week and just had to come on here and share it . woman rang me up asking for a quote on ripping out all old plaster board covered in artex in her attic , then cellotexing the attic , boarding it , dot and dab a wall up there then skim it out . so worked out a price , labour , materials a skip for the rubbish etc and told her how much , studying her face I knew straight away I wouldn't get the job lol . So I asked had she had another quote and her reply was yes two ' chippies ' had quoted her 1000 quid , that was labour materials , paying a plasterer to skim it out for them and also paying a sparky to put spotlights in for her lol :rolleyes) my quotation was nowhere near that , it took me a few minutes to stop laughing , and what made it worse was the fact this woman has bn tucked up by dodgy tradesmen before she was telling me lol gluton for punishment some people lol even tho I didn't get the job it did put a smile on my face wondering how the those chippies will make a penny of the job lol
1 day to rip out and skip all the rubbish,id try and get the spark in same day,2day insulate and baton ,3 day board and dab ,4day finish off boarding ,5 day plastering 6 day finish off plastering,this is me thinking its a semi,she's having a laugh

I know bobspread , the worse thing is that customers like this are getting more and more common , I normally meet at least 1 every week lol :rolleyes) im just fortunate that I can afford to tell them to f*** o** lol

1 day to rip out and skip all the rubbish,id try and get the spark in same day,2day insulate and baton ,3 day board and dab ,4day finish off boarding ,5 day plastering 6 day finish off plastering,this is me thinking its a semi,she's having a laugh
day 1 rip out and skip rubbish plus sparky£125
day 2 insulate with celotex 75 labour plus 350 celotex - £425
day 3 board and dab 75 labour plus 100 board and dab £175
day 4 finish boarding labour. £75
day 5 skim 75labour plus 75 skim mats £150
day 6 finish skim labour. £75
Total £1025 :mad::RpS_cursing::RpS_cursing: sh*t £25 over budget

On a serious note,that price is ridiculous,it makes you wonder if they just made it up lol

dont talk rates on here , otherwise you will shot , also stay on subject or you will be shot twice , also you have to mention that the new trowels from nela are amazing until his sponsership runs out or every one works out they a just like any other trowel and its the bloke that pushes it not the tool , thanks .

NELA NELA NELA NELA NELA NELA NELA. Right where's my free stuff. Or do I get my stuff and then NELA NELA NELA NELA NELA NELA.

I had in my twenties people give me the shock and horror look when I gave them a price. It was age predujoce but I was warned by an retired plastering contractor to expect it. Made themselves look stupid!

Now I never give an on the job price unless I dont want the job and go in over the top. I really cant be atsed with customers stupid looks. I do occasionly get customers ring ip and try and barter, I point blank refuse to negotiate the price.

On a serious note,that price is ridiculous,it makes you wonder if they just made it up lol

R u joking mate a straight grand , for all of that course its porky pies lol not the dude that put it on here but the customer again , at least make it believable lol

R u joking mate a straight grand , for all of that course its porky pies lol not the dude that put it on here but the customer again , at least make it believable lol

Lol,I should hope I'm joking,I was roughly writing down the price you would have to do it for to do it for a grand,and it was rough,just a bit of a joke really bud.:RpS_thumbup:

I have just read the other posts lads,come on really,£75a day? Minus tax,van cost and other deductions you would be left 30ish a day,I have a family to feed at home,I thaught 75 a day would be far enough away from what any spread charges to notice it was a piss take.:RpS_thumbup:

You would be surprised ive seen geezers on gumtree stating 60 a room ! I lost a job a few weeks ago in my own street because some bellend had quoted 60 a day if they supplied matts he was there 3 days I found out as I knew kitchen fitter who did worktop after told me,fair play though he even painted it [emoji106]prob was it was a four hour job and the fitter said it was as rough as and caused him probs he even dropped it out to customer who still thought he had a good deal !

I'm probably just naive to it and like to think any tradesman is worth a decent wage,I mean 60 a day why would you bother,that's what ruins our game:RpS_thumbdn:

I priced a job yesterday and when I had worked out my price I chucked a few hundred on top. The customer said you're a little bit dear can you do anything with the price. So I knocked the few hundred off, he thinks he's got a bit of a deal as he's knocked me down a bit and I get the price I want anyway. Everyones happy :RpS_biggrin:.

I priced a job yesterday and when I had worked out my price I chucked a few hundred on top. The customer said you're a little bit dear can you do anything with the price. So I knocked the few hundred off, he thinks he's got a bit of a deal as he's knocked me down a bit and I get the price I want anyway. Everyones happy :RpS_biggrin:.
that may come back to haunt you!

Just priced and EWI job against ............ Wait for it.............. A roofer

told customer he'd s&c render his detached house for £1800, knock off too and that EWI wouldn't be much more, luckily customer had a bit about him and kindly refused, some right greedy fooking wankstains about.

I'm going to ring a plasterer soon, move everything off drive so the tit I get round doesn't know I'm a plasterer.

set up video and get a price to skim my living room, I'll get one of these £60.00 a day c**ts and tie him to a price, then start asking if he will be taking sockets off and back on, and lights down, and scrimming everything and make sure he does 2 seperate coats because the last guy didn't.

it would be fun.

id get the c**t up the road too, proper handyman, he has every trade down the back of his van, every trade, even gardening and has just had plastering and rendering put on the bottom of a very long list, I am so fooking tempted to ring him and ask him for a modern render because he hasn't got a clue, just a greedy bas/tard wanting all the work he can get, competent or not.

I'm going to ring a plasterer soon, move everything off drive so the tit I get round doesn't know I'm a plasterer.

set up video and get a price to skim my living room, I'll get one of these £60.00 a day c**ts and tie him to a price, then start asking if he will be taking sockets off and back on, and lights down, and scrimming everything and make sure he does 2 seperate coats because the last guy didn't.

it would be fun.

id get the c**t up the road too, proper handyman, he has every trade down the back of his van, every trade, even gardening and has just had plastering and rendering put on the bottom of a very long list, I am so fooking tempted to ring him and ask him for a modern render because he hasn't got a clue, just a greedy bas/tard wanting all the work he can get, competent or not.

What would patronising him achieve? Concentrate on bettering your own business, the type of customer you should be appealing to would be straight away dismissing these types of tradesman. If these tradesman are in any way competition, then have a look at your own set up to ramp it up a level to distance yourself.

What would patronising him achieve? Concentrate on bettering your own business, the type of customer you should be appealing to would be straight away dismissing these types of tradesman. If these tradesman are in any way competition, then have a look at your own set up to ramp it up a level to distance yourself.

Yeah, I wouldn't do it, but it would be interesting to see how these cheap guys work, it wouldnt be patronising Id let them leave thinking I was a proper customer, but these tradesmen are everyone's competition, it doesn't matter what market you aim for.

The good will out though @mac_plastering..... I honestly wouldn't get the hump with it ... so many so called tradesmen my way its laughable

The storys I hear and all I make sure is I don't work / associate with these trades - because customers have told me I wouldn't use tradesmen 'x' or anyone associated with them

Some people are suckers for being ripped off or thinking its a good job cos its cheap .... leave them to it ... there not my market and shouldn't be yours

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't got the hump, I just think it would be interesting to see how these guys who are dirt cheap, price work.

i was speaking tongue in cheek :RpS_thumbsup:

I've called a few of the "ceilings for £50" crowd in the past.. Just for fun.. Amazing how they tell you two bags of plaster is £30 then pva etc and before you know it your up to £100

It's one thing we all have in common on here, no matter how much you earn how big or small you are.

nobody on here will have another plasterer in their house pricing work up

I just force a price Over the phone say I'm a landlord although one guy did agree to do a 20m kid for £50 as I said I was buying the gear

Its how people are, scared of paying too much, scared of being ripped off. They do not see us a tradespeople just 'a plasterer'. They see our price as a wage, no overheads, expenses just all income. Being on paye they would not understand.

As for the £60 a day merchants well I have met them. Usually failed trainees desperate and unemployed. They have to get what they can and we can sod off. They may well one day crack it and then be up against their own sort. I had a trainee who I sacked and he was skimming private jobs for £60 until he came to his senses and got a start with an ewi contractor and after the kick up the arse I gave this time he learned the job and was earning over £400 a week minimum.

Now he will not get out of bed for less then £150 a day labour only even though he still cannot pebbledash. But when he was skimming for £60 a day he was desperate. So was the sort of customers he worked for though.

What is really pissing me off is looking at jobs and you know they are only picking your brains. There is no job they are wanting a price and opinion comparison.

i honestly don't think she was making it up either lads , i told her point blank that any clowns that can give you a crazy price like that have got to be dodgy , she just said ' well their doing the front garden fence for me first , so ill see how their work is then lol ' they're charging 300 notes just for a gate and a bit of fencing lol and now ive just had a phone call to price a job on a bloody sunday of all days , so ive gotta knock watching the egg chasing on the head and get down there . ( just hope it ain't another f***wit of a customer looking to piss me off on the day of rest lol have a gd one gang :RpS_thumbsup:

Because of traffic and most enquiries are at the other aide of town I do not do evenings anymore. Set off at 6 and back at 8.30 then get on with tea then work a price out. Those days are over!

I am out 50 Saturday afternoons of the year and half late Sunday mornings. Prices are worked out Mon-Thursday nights. Really doing my head in! Never stop working!

Status
Not open for further replies.