Skimming over artex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

roryston

Done this a number of times, mainly over ceailings in peoples houses that are to tight to over board them..

I always put a coat over it all, float it with a sponge float than leave it to dry, after that pva and skim it with 2 coats.

I got a hallway, stairs and landing to do soon, has anyone got any other ideas of how to cover it quicker? Or am i pretty much bang on with the way I do it?

@Royston......making it a way way longer harder job that it needs to be mate!

scrape and pva...

and then first coat 50/50 bonding/multi... flatten and then top as normal...

in and out job done son!!!:RpS_thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Plasterer I was talking to today said a landlord he was talking to told him that they had been told that new regs were coming out to stop artex being covered because of the asbestos in it. Something to do with not knowing it was there and drilling into it, anybody heard anything on these lines?

@zombie

Really??? This sounds like my cup of tea..

Dont the sharp bits of bonding get dragged into the skim though? Like when your using it wet on wet? Or does the first coat pull in fast with bonding in it?

@Royston......making it a way way longer harder job that it needs to be mate!

scrape and pva...

and then first coat 50/50 bonding/multi... flatten and then top as normal...

in and out job done son!!!:RpS_thumbup:

@zombie

Dont the sharp bits of bonding get dragged into the skim though? Like when your using it wet on wet? Or does the first coat pull in fast with bonding in it?

zombie is bang on there my old fruit (Although I use less bonding than zomb) it works a treat, :RpS_thumbsup:

@The Apprentice

Yeah artex has a VERY small percentage of asbestos in it mate, well older stuff does anyway.

They have been talking about regulations about skimming, drilling, touching it for years

Plasterer I was talking to today said a landlord he was talking to told him that they had been told that new regs were coming out to stop artex being covered because of the asbestos in it. Something to do with not knowing it was there and drilling into it, anybody heard anything on these lines?
Sounds nonsensical , firstly it has to be identified as containing asbestos,this means you can't or shouldn't touch it .

Don't scrape it dry, let it soak or steam it, best thing is to have it tested incase you end up causing problems for the home owners ,

@zombie

it works a treat mate just flatten it early or it can tear a speedskim is absoloutley awesome for this btw!

on 90% of all my re-skim I do a first coat of apx 2 big gauging trowels of bonding to a bag of finish...it helps stopping sagging and nips it all together a bit...gives you a bit longer in the tub and on the wall also...

if im honest I would probabley make it a bit less bonding than 50/50 un less realy hideous but you get my gist ie a multi/bonding mix for 1st coat...

trust me pal once you've done this you will never go back it will be your savour for refurb work and covering artex

it will give you plenty of time to get it on and will hang but will be ready to skim off with a 2nd coat of finish like you would normaly:RpS_thumbup:

@zombie

Absolute legend mate, I'm gonna give this a go asap.

Luckily the customer is supplying materials too haha

I'll post up progress as I go with it.

Thanks again mate!

your welcome buddy!!!:RpS_thumbup:

try about 75% multi 25% bonding to start with and see how you go on...then alter to suit your needs once got a feel for it pal

From what he was told the regs will stop it being skimmed or covered with anything, in other words if you've got it you can only paint it

From what he was told the regs will stop it being skimmed or covered with anything, in other words if you've got it you can only paint it

try telling that to a young couple that's just bought a 2 up 2 down terrace house that's a thow back from 70's!!!:RpS_lol:

It's called a magic mix, it's brilliant I've done it for at least 10 years never a call back.i have just got a load of uni finish,did a couple of artex ceiling the other day nice stuff. But I've got a big flat of artex everywhere to do and I'm gonna try magic mix with the uni, so no blue grit. I'll let you guys know how it goes :)

It's called a magic mix, it's brilliant I've done it for at least 10 years never a call back.i have just got a load of uni finish,did a couple of artex ceiling the other day nice stuff. But I've got a big flat of artex everywhere to do and I'm gonna try magic mix with the uni, so no blue grit. I'll let you guys know how it goes :)

funnily enough I was thinking the same myself the other day ref uni finish and bonding!!!

I haven't the confidence to use unifinish alone but I think I would with bonding added...

then for me it would be pva no more!!!:RpS_thumbup:

The uni hangs for ages but then goes all at ones like mp finish so keep flattening early ;-) I've never had a problem with the uni even when first come out. But it's defo better this time around :)

I'm guessing you do a bit of mma or something with a name like jeanclaudevangyproc :) mate,I have done a bit of mma but find it hard to fit it in these days. Or am I totally wrong and barking up wrong tree ;-D

I'm guessing you do a bit of mma or something with a name like jeanclaudevangyproc :) mate,I have done a bit of mma but find it hard to fit it in these days. Or am I totally wrong and barking up wrong tree ;-D

Haha nah i was bought up on 80s action films it was either that or something along the lines of oneswipeschwazenegger [emoji1]

what youneed to do is knock some multi up and have a pisss in it the amonia contained in the urine causes a chemical disbalance thus causing the artex to flaxuate into a calamitous reaction hense the diversity of the molecular breakdown of the constructive material ending in the elimination of pva!!

Thats what i heard anyhoo! :RpS_confused::flapper:

I just use unifinish,Leeroy said it right flatten early and u have no problem,a lot of guys will probably now write that it is crap and that it drys to fast but over artex,it does come into it's own,it hangs wet long enough for you to flatten .bang a second coat on as u should anyway trowel off as normal.no messing wth pva and waiting for that to dry and no need for a bag of bonding...just don't push yourself to far with how big of an area you do with unfinish.

When I say I just use unifinish,I meant over artex ceiling that the post is about,I do pva and use multi etc on jobs as well

That's a big risk as there is a lot of materials just held up by pva.
Overboard or good scrape & betokantact,2 coats o multi for me
I agree mate but as you know sometimes needs must,I did one yesterday overboard artex ceiling but in the corner of the room was a real funny shape where the bottom of the stairs come through and it couldn't be over boarded so I bond and skimmed that bit,I did give them the option of taking it off and re floating it(with guarantee) or just bond and skim(no guarantee) and they chose the latter.as with any artex I skim I make it clear that I won't guarantee it and would have gone a different route.:RpS_thumbup:

Amazes me how many go for the non guarantee option I got one next week exact same offered with guarantee or without they too took without 160 diff in price that's all

I just use unifinish,Leeroy said it right flatten early and u have no problem,a lot of guys will probably now write that it is crap and that it drys to fast but over artex,it does come into it's own,it hangs wet long enough for you to flatten .bang a second coat on as u should anyway trowel off as normal.no messing wth pva and waiting for that to dry and no need for a bag of bonding...just don't push yourself to far with how big of an area you do with unfinish.
...painted artex? Or just artex thats never had paint on it? Just curious.

I would scrape the ceiling first, taking off all the biggest/loose bits.

if it's not too heavy an artex I would 'blue grit' If possible, if not then ova. if a thick one then light bonding may be used like someone says it can add a lot of weight.

sometimes it's all good to skim over the blue grit

Status
Not open for further replies.