Site work.

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would rather scratch a tramps balls and lick my fingers clean then spend my days reskimming artex ceilings.
pricing shitty little kitchen and bathroom patch up jobs, and doing extensions for cowboy builder's who know feck all about quality but everything about trying to save a quid.
Personally ill take the site price work anyday over that hell.

[video=youtube_share;XsoSVdJikDw]http://youtu.be/XsoSVdJikDw[/video]

How do you all clean your dust sheets up on the domestic work? Give it a good beating and shaking then to the washing machine?

Buy plastic backed dust sheets marra like Harris make .... nothing goes through ... end of day fold it all inwards and plastic peels off ... tip into bin - job done ...

If theres new floors down I mask disposable ones to the floor then sheets over the top - hassle it saves is great for £1 throw aways

How do you all clean your dust sheets up on the domestic work? Give it a good beating and shaking then to the washing machine?

we never wash our dust sheets, just shake them out and keep down grading them. the cleanest ones for private work the poorest we use for covering footpaths on rendering work.
we only use the canvas ones as they are the only ones that will stop dust, the cotton ones are useless.

we never wash our dust sheets, just shake them out and keep down grading them. the cleanest ones for private work the poorest we use for covering footpaths on rendering work.
we only use the canvas ones as they are the only ones that will stop dust, the cotton ones are useless.

I preface every post with this - just a student appreciate advice so much.

And I do this, do you also use the...carpet protect I think?

No Nonsense Carpet Protection Roll 25m x 500mm | Floor Protectors | Screwfix.com

I'm guessing whack this down, dust sheet on top, carpet protect elsewhere you might traverse.

What the fecks a carpet protector and dust sheets haha, site work for me without a doubt, nowt worse than skimming an artex ceilng while trying not to fall over a tele in a pink dress and a setee wearing a flowery frock, oh and customers sat on your handboard with eyes like a sh!t house rat, moaning that they've got a pin head size bit of plaster on them or because you splashed them with your splash brush

Your finish has to be spot on on site otherwise you wont get paid, alot of domestic plasterers do domestics because they cant cut it on site. I would rather work for a firm/site than the public any day.Start at 8 finish 3-4 You know where you stand from day 1. With public you dont know who your working for, they always try to get more out of you for free, you work longer hours when you include pricing work.

And the age old....."ive already had a quote"
how much?
"well you tell me yours first, then i'll bullshit and say other bloke was a bit cheaper to be honest"

lol.. I fing the opposite... i work shorter hours than that and earn good money, it all depends on the properties your working on, my house is newish and looks like our 5 year old skimmed it..lol.. work on nice properties and they are willing to pay good money...as for not cutting it on site.. can all site plasterers cut it if their not skimming nice new boards ? lol..x

Its unfortunate that site plastering has been split up into boarders dabbers skimmers and renderers. i agree that you need to be able to cover all aspects to be a good domestic plasterer and i also said most domestic plasterers cant cut it. There are alot of chancers within the domestic circuit ripping off the public which is why the public can be very awkward to work with. Anyways i prefer site work any day

site work got to be better , you have a standard of plastering what is expected from you.
Re skimming is just the wild west with every fecking cowboy at it.

I remember being on a site at 19/20 years old and being the old lad that could rough and skim, bloke 10/20 years older than me fecked it up a treat

site work got to be better , you have a standard of plastering what is expected from you.

pva and skim is more difficult than skimming new boards mate.. skimming boards is basic as in the trade.. and it depends what ''standard'' is acceptable, seen some right shite on new work.. as I have on domestic... all depends on the plasterer....

what i do not like about site work is the first day is lost with induction and site rules. then the days pay lost through 20% tax.then trying to get loaded up with the fork lift. then trying to makeup a weeks wage on a three day week.

It dont matter if you do site or domestic work as long as you make your £400 a day your laughin

Domestic work can be more difficult, but old beryrl who wants a bedroom skimmed will praise any work aslong as it looks better than before, site gaffers and quality control arent going to check her bedroom

Domestic work can be more difficult, but old beryrl who wants a bedroom skimmed will praise any work aslong as it looks better than before, site gaffers and quality control arent going to check her bedroom

private customers are very demanding mate.. are you sure these boys throwing 100m2 a day on are neat ? or is it...thats good enough ?? depends as i said, who your working for...

old beryl may not be too demanding on quality.. but is Mike the millionaire the same ? he will want it mint in his house, as opposed to a site agent who maybe doesnt have much idea and just wants it on and done ?? its all different hey..

what i do not like about site work is the first day is lost with induction and site rules. then the days pay lost through 20% tax.then trying to get loaded up with the fork lift. then trying to makeup a weeks wage on a three day week.

Have the hmrc changed the the tax rules Malc?. do you no longer have to pay any tax or your payment on account any more on domestic work?.

old beryl may not be too demanding on quality.. but is Mike the millionaire the same ? he will want it mint in his house, as opposed to a site agent who maybe doesnt have much idea and just wants it on and done ?? its all different hey..
I thought Mike was ok to be honest ,no coffee all day ,but he was a busy man and his wife was shopping,Beryl on the other hand was a nightmare ,loads of coffee ,but by the time we moved all the furniture ,it was a long day and have to go back next week to pick up the money once her son has had a look at the work

private customers are very demanding mate.. are you sure these boys throwing 100m2 a day on are neat ? or is it...thats good enough ?? depends as i said, who your working for...

Ill put the standard of my site work, float and set or setting board work up against any domestic Spread ive ever seen Craig,

Im sure you would pal... but thats you... im on about in general.... not seen your work by the way... but float and skim/skimming boards is site work.... maybe you can screed, render, dash, tyro, cornice work, dryline.....tile... etc... in general thats a plasterer, not really someone who skims boards week in week out... agree ?

do domestics never use plasterboards then ? cos it seems you domestics keep going on about skimming board works as site work

you must have worked some some shite domestic plasterers, surely most proper plasterers have done site and domestic ? unless your proper awesome.. I have no idea...

Cassie i have done both , and i can skim as much on a domestic as i can on site given the area the prep involved in most reskims is minimal

do domestics never use plasterboards then ? cos it seems you domestics keep going on about skimming board works as site work

lol.. been plastering 30 yrs bud.. worked a **** load of site work, and domestic... and on new housing its board and skim.. new buildings ie schools maybe more interesting.. end of the day a plasterer should be able to do ALL aspects of the trade whether its new build or domestic....

Status
Not open for further replies.