SBR bond pre-skim or not?

j_robi

Hi all

My house flooded in storm Dennis, am slowly rebuilding it. The walls were hacked back to stone, sbr & cement mix applied, then 2 coats of render with sbr mixed in. The walls are now ready for skimming. Prior to putting on the plaster, I've read some say pva others unibond or blue grit. A local plasterer has suggested SBR bond diluted with water 1:1, allow it to dry fully, then start skimming. Is this recommened? Experience from those that use SBR appreciated

I just wanted to get some 2nd opinions, as I'm aware that the wrong decision will leave me considerably more work again!

Look forward to receiving responses

A 1-1 sbr mix is too strong in my opinion as it will kill all the suction... I think pva would be fine.... 1 coat at 4-1 and let it dry then a 2nd coat at 2-1 and skim whilst sticky....

Hi all

My house flooded in storm Dennis, am slowly rebuilding it. The walls were hacked back to stone, sbr & cement mix applied, then 2 coats of render with sbr mixed in. The walls are now ready for skimming. Prior to putting on the plaster, I've read some say pva others unibond or blue grit. A local plasterer has suggested SBR bond diluted with water 1:1, allow it to dry fully, then start skimming. Is this recommened? Experience from those that use SBR appreciated

I just wanted to get some 2nd opinions, as I'm aware that the wrong decision will leave me considerably more work again!

Look forward to receiving responses
If there’s sbr in the s&c , Squirt/ flick water on the wall , if it runs down and doesn’t soak in,And stays moist for a period of time it may not need anything on the sand and cement

or is it just safer just to use pva? if so, what mix is recommended? (for pva or sbr) and dry or tacky? don't want to do the whole of downstairs only to find the plaster does not bond well or give issues in the future

as super spread has said.will just probs need dampening down with water.
s&c will need to be fully keyed/scratched prior to skimming over as well.

Will check the moisture test tonight and sprinkle some water on it to see if absorbs. What s&c please?

Will check the moisture test tonight and sprinkle some water on it to see if absorbs. What s&c please

Checked and still absorbed. So applied 1 1 water sbr mix. Will let this dry over night.then tomorrow think I'll apply another and allow to go tacky before skimming