Ripped off at merchants

Members online

Has anyone on here noticed huge price differences on materials from one merchant to the next?
I bought a 2.4 bead from Jewsons yesterday and with vat it was £2.06.
This morning went to another well known merchant and they charged a whopping £4.80!!!
I said it can't be right and what I paid day before and their excuse was its cos I didn't have an account with them. I pointed out that I didn't have an account with Jewsons either and they still charged less than half what this company wanted. So the difference between them on one bead is £2.74!! You don't mind a bit but that's taking the piss!

Has anyone on here noticed huge price differences on materials from one merchant to the next?
This morning went to another well known merchant and they charged a whopping £4.80!!!
I said it can't be right and what I paid day before and their excuse was its cos I didn't have an account with them. I pointed out that I didn't have an account with Jewsons either and they still charged less than half what this company wanted. So the difference between them on one bead is £2.74!! You don't mind a bit but that's taking the piss!

We had to get a cash/trade account with every merchants then you'll get a list of prices which you can haggle a bit with and are saved so no chance of them pulling your pants down when you get to the till!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i got a minster account so went to jewsons.
i got charged 14 quid plus vat for 1 2.4m length of cls. b and q charge 1.80
1 irwin saw 12.59 plus vat.

spoke to jewson when bill cane in. they said you have to buy over 50 lengths to get a price cut down to 11 quid a length.
said ill buy a length from b and q then give it back to them the robbing cun ts

spoke to jewson when bill cane in. they said you have to buy over 50 lengths to get a price cut down to 11 quid a length.
I usually use trade point or wickes purely cos I find it quicker to get in and out. Plus most my work is on site so rarely buy materials. I only used this particular supplier cos it was close by. Next time I will rather drive across town than get shafted.

I can ring two different branches of the same merchants 18 miles apart and get Scarey diffences in price.

Such is life!!!

Bite the bullet and buy in bulk bud, some of the wholesalers will give you credit too. You can also haggle with them and be cheeky and ask for freebies .Ive just had a delivery box of scrim, box of pva, 5000 screws 200 beads. Won't have to pay til end of April . That stock will last me months plus I got free tape measure, hat and tshirt [emoji106]

Bite the bullet and buy in bulk bud, some of the wholesalers will give you credit too. You can also haggle with them and be cheeky and ask for freebies .Ive just had a delivery box of scrim, box of pva, 5000 screws 200 beads. Won't have to pay til end of April . That stock will last me months plus I got free tape measure, hat and tshirt [emoji106]
Pbsl or wack?

ive got credit accounts with most merchants as we supply on all jobs.
but only needed the saw and 1 timber for noggins and jewson was the closest by far on that day.

never again

Did you pay it?

I'm in the north west and had pretty good terms with Huws Gray. I'd been rendering for a month and went back to buy internal stuff and the prices had gone through the roof! I was fuming because I'd already been through this bullshit and got it down to a good price. They said because I hadn't bought for a while the prices reset!!! :mad: So I have to chase it all the time or they're pulling my pants down!
f**k em! Went back to Jewsons who are 50p a bag cheaper on finish without all the haggling. They look after me and their prices are much better than the other place anyway.

There is at least 100% mark up on most products I look round and buy in bulk and stock up on all materials

Travis is one I can't be doing with. Even with cash account they will always try to charge extortionate prices.

Huws Grey are tossers. They make it up as they go. There's one about a half mile from me but I never use them. They do have beads on the shelf at £4.80! New Travis Perkins in Birkenhead are the same. Price matched any BG product from elsewhere but when I wanted 50 beads they were 58 quid. Told them I get them a lot cheaper online and they knew exactly where. Beers the same again. You get like Renderlite or something from them one week then go back the next and a different person on the till its five quid a bag more. And I have accounts with them. I always shop online and get it delivered if I can. Just been to Wigan his morning for a door off ebay. Bargain. I always thought Wigan would be miserable for some reason but it was actually a really nice place. Like a big canal going through it and the streets nice and clean. Calm

It's a absolute free for all at merchants this year, every time you go in
Multi £4.50 - £6.00
Board finish the same
Thincoat beads 50p - £7 each
Magnetic £52 - £105
Unifinish £8.50 - £12
12.5 mm Plasterboard £5 - £9
Bg thermaline plus 47mm £25 - £47
Bonding 60 £9 - £23

Knauf I haven't got a clue

Huws Grey are tossers. They make it up as they go. There's one about a half mile from me but I never use them. They do have beads on the shelf at £4.80! New Travis Perkins in Birkenhead are the same. Price matched any BG product from elsewhere but when I wanted 50 beads they were 58 quid. Told them I get them a lot cheaper online and they knew exactly where. Beers the same again. You get like Renderlite or something from them one week then go back the next and a different person on the till its five quid a bag more. And I have accounts with them. I always shop online and get it delivered if I can. Just been to Wigan his morning for a door off ebay. Bargain. I always thought Wigan would be miserable for some reason but it was actually a really nice place. Like a big canal going through it and the streets nice and clean. Calm
Wigans alright. Before I moved here I thought the same as you. Some areas are a bit grim but all in all it's a friendly clean place.

I thought it was lovely. Went past Wigan Pier and that. Big B and Q and retail park. Fr some reason I always thought it would be like Blackburn or something but I was wrong. Mate who was with me thought the same. Couldn't believe how clean it was all the streets etc.

It's a absolute free for all at merchants this year, every time you go in
Multi £4.50 - £6.00
Board finish the same
Thincoat beads 50p - £7 each
Magnetic £52 - £105
Unifinish £8.50 - £12
12.5 mm Plasterboard £5 - £9
Bg thermaline plus 47mm £25 - £47
Bonding 60 £9 - £23

Tbh I haven't got a clue
We know;)

Was ranting about this the other day with someone. Main offender is TP...ridiculously over priced. The only thing they're good for is using their prices when you're quoting! :D

Can someone tell me how much I should be paying for 10mm plastic stop beads at 2.5m long? I paid 2.58 plus vat thought that was a bit pricey

Tell yah I'm sure I'd make a killing if I opened up a shop,
Take on the big guns , power to the people