returning to a job through delay

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did a job this morning, cut out and replace water damaged plasterboard caused by shower pump.
After cutting out found that there were at least two pipes with what, to me, looks like condensation, these were visibly dripping.
I phoned my client and explained the situation and they said that they would get a plumber to take a look.

My question is, I have quoted the client, but obviously this is now going to take another visit.
Would you charge, and if so, what?

Thanks guys.
Andy

It's your business surly it's up to you. Bet the plumber would charge twice for a re visit...

depends ive done a revisit for one reason or another before but i did it for no extra cos the way i saw it was id priced the job with a nice profit anyway so i stood to make good money either way, make as much as you can but dont be greedy cos youll soon come unstuck.
on the other hand i have done others where ive had to charge revisit cos it was only a little job that i priced tight.

Thanks JR, this isn't a big earning job so can't really swallow it, also, I have to find time to return that I could be spending on a paying job.

Its difficult Andy, i happen to Kebab King charges extra for re vists, think he lives near you does he not.

I should imagine your client would expect to get paid when he goes to work mate, dont be shy get the bill into him, I would just be reasonable and not hammer him to much, then its easy for you to justify the bill.

I would think the customer would expect abit extra after this delay through no fault of your own?
Just explain you need to add a bit extra because of fuel and your time. They should understand? If not show them the answers on this thread :RpS_thumbup:

I had a job exactly the same and came back another time and never charged I think the recommendations you will get will be worth more than an extra tenner.

Thanks guys, I think I know what I need to do.:RpS_thumbup:
I do have it in my terms that a return to the job, through no fault of my own, is chargable but I have never really had to use it before.

Thanks guys, I think I know what I need to do.:RpS_thumbup:
I do have it in my terms that a return to the job, through no fault of my own, is chargable but I have never really had to use it before.
How much is the job worth and what extra are you gonna charge?

Fukin right charge again, just done a bathroom, all plumber had to do was swap like for like, no extra pipe work or fukall, seen his invoice( labour only as everything supplied) £810.. F*****g wanks get away with it so we should too!

Id of mentioned it to the customer that the bill will be higher when you phoned them about the pipe .... that way if there not happy you know there and then and ask to just bill them for what you've done if no agreement can be made but that's rare ... least you can jump onto your next job etc

Fukin right charge again, just done a bathroom, all plumber had to do was swap like for like, no extra pipe work or fukall, seen his invoice( labour only as everything supplied) £810.. F*****g wanks get away with it so we should too!

wouldnt get get the time of day in liverpool. Gas fitters happy to throw a bathroom suite in for 250/300 straight swop

Wouldn't charge them.as said the recommendation is worth a lot more.
Just make of point of saying you won't charge them.
I when I do extras that arnt really much bother I put them on the invoice but then discount it underneath. They see how much I should/could charge them and see I've done it for free. Word of mouth is priceless. Especially since there so many of you F*****g plasterers about. Most go of recommendations.

But this is why they pay the plumber twice and the plasterer gets bummed

your not volunteer plasterers r u

Today I had a gas safe lad do a gas safety certificate for me on a rental property. I also had a gad fire capped off and removed . I'm down £80 for forty mins work. If I call him and ask him back tommorow for more gas work for the same £80 what will be his reply.

the plumber will just lag the pipes,, you could have done that for a lot less than the plumber will charge, then you would have made more than your price and still got the job done in one visit,,

Today I had a gas safe lad do a gas safety certificate for me on a rental property. I also had a gad fire capped off and removed . I'm down £80 for forty mins work. If I call him and ask him back tommorow for more gas work for the same £80 what will be his reply.
his reply will probably be ---- off , i not a -------charity

the plumber will just lag the pipes,, you could have done that for a lot less than the plumber will charge, then you would have made more than your price and still got the job done in one visit,,

If it is condensation.
If it isn't, I've just plastered a ceiling with a leaky pipe above.

I could have said nothing and done it anyway, but I'm not like that, I like my jobs to be 100%

But by doing the right thing, should I be out of pocket?
no you should not be out of pocket andy, but getting extra money out of people is a tricky one, is it just you mate or are you paying a labour ,,, " " if you dont ask you dont get " good luck

You could have dried it off and then checked a few minutes later for leaks (a bit of bog/kitchen roll will tell ya) if it's a leak, then you've saved him having to pay for the ceiling being done twice so on that basis you're entitled to ask for money to cover your time. If someones' already repaired the pump then they're the ones who should be paying for your lost time anyhow. BUT - you need to weigh up whether it's a one-off job, regular customer, did you drop onto another job anyways, mileage incurred etc. :RpS_thumbup:

You could have dried it off and then checked a few minutes later for leaks (a bit of bog/kitchen roll will tell ya) if it's a leak, then you've saved him having to pay for the ceiling being done twice so on that basis you're entitled to ask for money to cover your time. If someones' already repaired the pump then they're the ones who should be paying for your lost time anyhow. BUT - you need to weigh up whether it's a one-off job, regular customer, did you drop onto another job anyways, mileage incurred etc. :RpS_thumbup:

I could have wiped it down, there were recent water marks on the chipboard flooring above. I didn't want to touch it if I'm honest as then I'm liable and I didn't know what sort of pipe it was that was "leaking" (heating, pumped or water) and whether the leak only happened under pressure. There were at least eight pipes up there, it was directly below the tank.
If I could do that, I'd be a plumber and not a plasterer and we wouldn't be having this discussion :RpS_thumbup:

One off job ATM, but could lead to more, possibly.
If I had other work I could have done, then there would be no question about charging them as my day would have been covered.
As Mike said earlier, I may charge them then give them a discount to show what it should have been.

Let's have it right you didn't actually do much work maybe an hour then Noticed the problem, you could of checked if it was leaking easy enough. You rang them rather than just get on and blame the plumber which will look good and professional. fair enough you can't get on and wasted the other two hours you would be there so yeh maybe you should get payed but It will be interesting to hear what they say when you want to charge them for not doing the job then want to charge them again. I'm not saying it's wrong to charge them but you could end up with **** all maybe an hours pay and loose out on the job and get called a Robbin ****, like I said grit your teeth and let them know it is more of your time but hope they give you a bonus or say at the end what is the extra and have a figure In Your head ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.