Reskim - will it work

Sam W

Currently redoing our bathroom and am wondering how to get a decent finish on the wall in the picture. It's a stone built house from 1860, originally lime plastered, but knocked about a bit since then. The wall in the picture is about 60% lime plastered, but has a strip of gypsum from a rewire and a strip of white plaster (one coat?) where a stud wall has been moved. Lower third of the wall will have some wainscotting put on so will be hidden.

I'd like to reskim the upper part of the wall with lime finish coat, but unsure how will it will work, either thinking it might crack, fall off or both. Any thoughts/tips on this?

Thanks,

Sam.

Attachments

• IMG_20210620_201259362.jpg
    IMG_20210620_201259362.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 323
Thank you, that's useful. Any particular products you would recommend? Although it's an internal wall, and less critical, I would like to maintain the breathability of the lime.

I had the same kind of wall in the Victorian house I recently bought, old lime plaster with several areas filled with modern gypsum plaster and fillers. After extensive online research I scraped all old wallpaper glue/ paint/ etc., cleaned it with sugar soap, filled any holes with Gyproc Easy Fill 60 and at the end prime with Baumit Premium Primer which is amazing product, it's very similar to BlueGrit often recommended as a primer before applying gypsum plaster, but does not compromise breathability of lime plaster. After 24h I applied fine lime plaster 2 layers of approx. 3mm. It worked beautifully, no cracks or other problems so far. I think this Baumit primer is amazing in controlling the suction of the background layer. I also used it on drywalls before applying lime plaster and it worked very well. The only difficulty is that it's quite hard to get in UK, had to be ordered online, but definitely worth the effort!