Rendering a Boundary wall, 2 different brick facings

Members online

Semaj

I have 30 sqm of boundary wall I would like to render, having never used krend or any of the other makes, I was advised to just go with scot rend as its basically sand and cement. back wall is concrete and the other brick is just common brick, joints are scrapped out, its all been cleaned and dust free and there is coping on top. I was just going to put a pva bond on the walls before first coat but should I be using something else especially with the concrete brick?

Cheers

I have 30 sqm of boundary wall I would like to render, having never used krend or any of the other makes, I was advised to just go with scot rend as its basically sand and cement. back wall is concrete and the other brick is just common brick, joints are scrapped out, its all been cleaned and dust free and there is coping on top. I was just going to put a pva bond on the walls before first coat but should I be using something else especially with the concrete brick?

Cheers

Never use PVA externally for render in my opinion...

Personally if I had to sand & cement I'd SBR scud it first but tbh I'd much rather use thin coat & mesh with silicone wherever I can.

Ok thanks, SBR it is, sorry if this sounds dense, I,m capable of rendering, (although a very long time ago) but i.m unsure of all the admixtures and such so do I use it as a bonding agent on the wall for the scratch coat to adhere to and also through both mixes scratch and floating coats? I would love to try all the new products but was put off by a plasterer I met at the merchants who told me its likeworking with chewing gum and if you lose it then you end up with a patchy finish.

Ok thanks, SBR it is, sorry if this sounds dense, I,m capable of rendering, (although a very long time ago) but i.m unsure of all the admixtures and such so do I use it as a bonding agent on the wall for the scratch coat to adhere to and also through both mixes scratch and floating coats? I would love to try all the new products but was put off by a plasterer I met at the merchants who told me its likeworking with chewing gum and if you lose it then you end up with a patchy finish.

Tell me what you would normally do and I will tell you where your going wrong?

It's been a long time since I rendered anything and it was usually always onto breeze block. So it was just make sure it was dust free and the suction was under control then it was straight on with sand and cement mix scratch coat then same for floating up coat.
Ok, so do I put the scratch coat on just as the SBR slurry is going off?

It's been a long time since I rendered anything and it was usually always onto breeze block. So it was just make sure it was dust free and the suction was under control then it was straight on with sand and cement mix scratch coat then same for floating up coat.
Ok, so do I put the scratch coat on just as the SBR slurry is going off?

Before we over complicate or the bricks in question smooth? If not I'd just slightly dampen but not soak first?

Ref SBR it will he tacky pretty quick if needed though I prefer to be on the side of hard pose to wet.

Concrete brick have there rougher side facing out and the joints are scraped out. The common brick I power washed and wire brushed to remove the paint so rougher than usual and the joints scraped for loose mortar so plenty of key on that wall.

Concrete brick have there rougher side facing out and the joints are scraped out. The common brick I power washed and wire brushed to remove the paint so rougher than usual and the joints scraped for loose mortar so plenty of key on that wall.

If your saying there's plenty of key then I'd just go straight on...I'd look to use SBR scud on smooth background to create a key not to control suction!!!

Going on good this scotrend. Doing what I can in my free time.

Attachments

• IMG_20170723_140955.jpg
    IMG_20170723_140955.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 542