Render on timber?

BobbyJack

Built a garden room. Wrapping walls and ceiling with 8x2 T&G moisture resistant floor sheets. Roof is getting GRP. Originally was going to clad the walls with timber but our peg now likes render. So can render be applied directly to the wood with a grit primer and mesh or is it a no go. Open to suggestions. If it can be rendered does anyone fancy giving a price. In manchester

20210525_192040.jpg

Built a garden room. Wrapping walls and ceiling with 8x2 T&G moisture resistant floor sheets. Roof is getting GRP. Originally was going to clad the walls with timber but our peg now likes render. So can render be applied directly to the wood with a grit primer and mesh or is it a no go. Open to suggestions. If it can be rendered does anyone fancy giving a price. In manchester

View attachment 61341

That looks like it is going to be a nice space

If you haven't already looked, I would take a look at Marley concrete cladding or composite cladding. Both come with good colour fast guarantees (over 20 yr if I remember right) and no danger of future cracking.

View attachment 61341

hi

feel free to drop me a mail and I will send you some details of how to correctly apply a render carrier board to a timber frame

As Owls says above, you need a sheathing board and breather membrane to the current structure. The vertical battens tower create a drained and ventilated (top and bottom) cavity before a tender carried board and thin coat tender

Timber frames need to breath, to allow moisture to not form in or on them, which will cause the structure to rot...

drop me a mail to richard.lord@knauf.com and I will send you some details about Knauf Aquapanel Exterior to help

good luck
Richard Lord
Knauf