Qualifications !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The labourer i use now and again was on the dole for a while and he got sent to one of the local training compaines and they turned up at 9am sat around till lunch doing nowt and got sent home. He had to do this for 3 weeks and on his last day he did the cscs test on the computer and got his card. The training company wanna keep you there as long as possible to milk the government system. He then progressed to another course at the college for 2 weeks learning how to right a CV...........................:rolleyes)

Exactly mate,, NVQ;s are a load of bollox, Ive got loads of them.. however you gotta do em to get on certain jobs.. and they impress joe public....

Colleges are funded so people over 24 can do it for free. The put you through the essential skills, maths, english and IT at level 2, which is GCSE equivilent. (thats if you dont have a GCSE grade c or above in them already) and you do your NVQ Diploma L2 or 3. its free

Yeh pooptash check ya facts before posting or Ryan will get his marra Mike to duff you up........................:flapper:

Go Ryan Go Ryan Go Ryan Go Ryan Go Ryan Go Ryan Go Ryan............................:RpS_thumbsup:

When I got my card a few years back it was a doddle. T centrex or something the firm was called. Basically they rocked up to 6 of us together at our offices and talked us throught the forms. Came a week later did a site visit, the week after that they came again and we did the computer test and the cards fame in the post.

Seemed to to is they made sure everyone passed so they could invoce the government for the amount of training they did.

Just to add guys
If you do your NVQ via EWPA (which has no site visits or folder) then you do NOT need to take the health and safety test, so a little saving there!

I know a tutor who lets on to be an employer, has public liability insurance. Takes on trainees (but there is actually no work) and completes the NVQ in a month, pockets £800 a trainee (goverment funding for employers who take on a trainee) prob goes through 10 trainees a year.

I first got my CSCS card many years ago when they tried to launch it for the first time but it failed to catch on. I did half a days course and was given a card which stated on the back that I had a Plastering Industry Accreditation B (apparently or so I was lead to believe at the time higher than an A) which I was told I was entitled to through "grandfather rights" basically because I had already been plastering for many years at the time I didn't have to prove to anyone that I could do it. Anyway years later when the scheme was launched again I applied for a card and received a gold card with the same accreditation on the back. I use this card all the time on many big sites where they normally stress the need for an NVQ qualification on a skilled workers CSCS card and have never had it turned down once. :)

I'm a time served plasterer and was looking for site work as my work has dried up and last job got cancelled.
Agency wants nvq level 2 or city and guilds.
How the hell do I get this for the cscs card to get on site.

The agency guy said I'm probably a better plasterer than those with the nvq but they are getting really fussy now!!!!!!

I just want to work!!!!!!!

:RpS_scared::RpS_scared::RpS_scared::RpS_scared:

Is there a short cut or am I **** out of luck??

I'm having a similar prob with the cscs bandits and the agency's are really doing there best to pay peanuts to tradesmen.

Contractors and agency's are a greedy bunch of ***** and I reckon they will be responsible for a total disappearance of quality British tradesmen on sites.

if there is a "construction boom" coming then it's not manifesting itself in the wages being offered by those unscrupulous twatbags!

As for the cscs we only have to look at the nhs to understand the problems these types of unelected morons cause, it's an absolute farce when a bloody card can stop a man getting work even though he's qualified?

What really chaffs my arse is the fact that the cscs isn't actually law in this country and any company doing what they do would be charged with extortion and fraud?
:RpS_cursing:

We keep moaning about people with no quals then moaning you need them lol having quals doesn't necessarily mean your a good spread but at least your qualified. The CSCS card is a must on site now and it won't be long before gold is the accepted standard and wages will be based around the colour of your card especially were agencies are involved. Insurance is another thing on site your staff need a cscs card to bring the insurance down for the contractors as he has a more qualified work force it won't be long before public liability get onto it for the domestic market then Hopefully the customer will want to see it on the domestic market not all but some :)

We keep moaning about people with no quals then moaning you need them lol having quals doesn't necessarily mean your a good spread but at least your qualified. The CSCS card is a must on site now and it won't be long before gold is the accepted standard and wages will be based around the colour of your card especially were agencies are involved. Insurance is another thing on site your staff need a cscs card to bring the insurance down for the contractors as he has a more qualified work force it won't be long before public liability get onto it for the domestic market then Hopefully the customer will want to see it on the domestic market not all but some :)

Agreed but the cscs card scheme is based around health & safety and has very little to proving "hand on" skill sets with regard to gold card holders?
It is a purely a "paper qualifications" system and doesn't allow for any practical show of skills, i.e citb inspector comes out to view you at a job doing a float n set session or running a cornice in situ and awards a pass on your actual trowel skills?
So in theory it proves very little apart from the fact the card holder has a good understanding of health and safety regs and a basic grasp on common sense?

Agreed but the cscs card scheme is based around health & safety and has very little to proving "hand on" skill sets with regard to gold card holders?
It is a purely a "paper qualifications" system and doesn't allow for any practical show of skills, i.e citb inspector comes out to view you at a job doing a float n set session or running a cornice in situ and awards a pass on your actual trowel skills?
So in theory it proves very little apart from the fact the card holder has a good understanding of health and safety regs and a basic grasp on common sense?
It does both it proves you have passed a h&s test and it has your quals on the back which is better than nothing. If you had done an apprenticeship at the end you were skill tested for two days which gets you your indentured apprenticeship so yes a gold card if gotten the right way does prove your worthy :) but you should know that going off your name lol

Guys, an interesting thread which has got me thinking.
I've not got any accredited quals in the trade other than two certificates in basic and intermediate plastering skills which are not nvq 2 level (I think). So according to the cscs site, I could apply for an experienced workers card? However, I do have a hnd in electrical engineering so could, according to cscs apply or an 'academically qualified' card, amongst others.
My point is, does it matter what card I have? I could quite happily carry out first and second fix and then float/board and finish a job..... If I get a cscs card on the back of my electrical quals, could I use it to get plastering work on sites????? Or vise versa for that matter.

probably won't ever do site work but you never know, if viable maybe worth investigating.

It does both it proves you have passed a h&s test and it has your quals on the back which is better than nothing. If you had done an apprenticeship at the end you were skill tested for two days which gets you your indentured apprenticeship so yes a gold card if gotten the right way does prove your worthy :) but you should know that going off your name lol

Main point of argument here is this, I'll challenge anyone to show me proof that green blue or whatever cscs card will give you a better hourly rate or price on a site?
The answer is no, the truth of the matter is you'll be able to go do site work but for piss poor rates?
If the cscs scheme fought for better rates and set wage increases i'd be right behind it, but it does nothing to protect our wages being destroyed by cheap imported labour, who also have cscs cards?

Guys, an interesting thread which has got me thinking.
I've not got any accredited quals in the trade other than two certificates in basic and intermediate plastering skills which are not nvq 2 level (I think). So according to the cscs site, I could apply for an experienced workers card? However, I do have a hnd in electrical engineering so could, according to cscs apply or an 'academically qualified' card, amongst others.
My point is, does it matter what card I have? I could quite happily carry out first and second fix and then float/board and finish a job..... If I get a cscs card on the back of my electrical quals, could I use it to get plastering work on sites????? Or vise versa for that matter.

probably won't ever do site work but you never know, if viable maybe worth investigating.
Its absolute bullshite but Most sites do require trade specific cscs cards.
I've seen a top notch spread thrown off a job for only having a basic labourers card.
Also as theres an army of nvq assessors out there with less and less men to assess, it wouldn't suprise me if soon nvq2's will no longer be sufficient and everyone will be forced into doing a level 3.
to provide jobs for the boys for a few more years.

Its absolute bullshite but Most sites do require trade specific cscs cards.
I've seen a top notch spread thrown off a job for only having a basic labourers card.
Also as theres an army of nvq assessors out there with less and less men to assess, it wouldn't suprise me if soon nvq2's will no longer be sufficient and everyone will be forced into doing a level 3.
to provide jobs for the boys for a few more years.

when you say trade specific card, do you mean specific named qualifications on the back, ie, nvq2/3 in solid plastering etc?

Yes mate. Most main contractors seem to be looking out for this now.

I've sent cscs an email, asking what is required if you're offering services for more than one trade. My long term plan is to offer electrical and plastering services.....I have loads of quals in the electrical game but only experience and a couple of **** course certificates in plastering....be interested to hear what they have to say, according to the website, without an indentured apprenticeship I'd have to apply for the annual card whilst 'training' towards a level 2 plastering award!

Me and @beddy are running a Bumming NVQ if anyone is interested
I've got my nvq level 2 bumming , looking to progress to advanced rimming and then hopefully the three F diploma (felching, fisting and fibrous) is this something you can help me with?

I've got my nvq level 2 bumming , looking to progress to advanced rimming and then hopefully the three F diploma (felching, fisting and fibrous) is this something you can help me with?

we can take you all the way through to a masters dry bumming degree (MDBD)

we can take you all the way through to a masters dry bumming degree (MDBD)

I have the PhD in bumming, im very interested in attaining the '' taking it dry '' add on diploma... any help would be appreciated.. well.. the diploma is not actually for me , its for '' mr Jones "

I have the PhD in bumming, im very interested in attaining the '' taking it dry '' add on diploma... any help would be appreciated.. well.. the diploma is not actually for me , its for '' mr Jones "

This guy knows his stuff Craig :RpS_thumbup:
attachment.php

Status
Not open for further replies.