Pva advice

Daljit68

Hi

Very new to skimming, renovating a house and each crack I have at it is better than the last so I’m definitely making progress!

ive had a couple of issues with old plastered walls drying out too fast (house is 150 yrs old) even though I gave em two coats of 1:4 or even 1:3 pva. I’ve been using cheap no nonsense stuff, 5l for £10. Was thinking of buying unibond, which is about £24 for same size.

Any thoughts?

daljit

Hi

Very new to skimming, renovating a house and each crack I have at it is better than the last so I’m definitely making progress!

ive had a couple of issues with old plastered walls drying out too fast (house is 150 yrs old) even though I gave em two coats of 1:4 or even 1:3 pva. I’ve been using cheap no nonsense stuff, 5l for £10. Was thinking of buying unibond, which is about £24 for same size.

Any thoughts?

daljit
@Yann , hes the pvA expert ask him pal

Poor old tiger woods will he ever play again mate
U see the leg. it’s smashed to pieces, I can’t see him coming back from that one, he will retire and go back to Vegas and get smashed on Oxy and f**k hookers hahaha

U see the leg. it’s smashed to pieces, I can’t see him coming back from that one, he will retire and go back to Vegas and get smashed on Oxy and f**k hookers hahaha
Nah not seen it but his retirement sounds intriguing

Any thoughts?

Yeah, always buy decent PVA if you can afford it - there may be one or two exceptions, but broadly-speaking, cheaper PVA brands are just diluted to meet the price-point.

Unibond or Evo-Stik are good options. Toolstation is fairly competitive with the latter.

You'll find manufacturer-recommended dilution ratios on the label, if you take the time to read it.

When you apply PVA to old walls, you still need to bear in mind that it's not always a simple case of '2 coats is all that's necessary'. In many cases, it is, but not all cases.

I'm not getting into specific detail - every plasterer has their own way of judging it, but, as a general guideline, if you've put two coats of PVA on a wall, try splashing some water on the PVA'd area - if it absorbs rapidly, then that could be a clue that it might need another weak coat of PVA.

Thanks for all the advice. I wish I had read the last post before starting on a 4x3m ceiling. Again, two coats of 1:4/1:3 didn’t stop first skim drying out too quickly. Got half way round then gave up. Applied more pva. Ended up with 3 skim coats and taking best part of a day.

bought Evostick this morning.

Hi

Any thoughts?

daljit
I got some advice.
Stop being a cuunt and pay a proper plasterer to do the work
You’re welcome

Just a quick update for anyone interested. After replastering every wall, ceiling in this 2 bedroom 150 yr old property, the best skimming I had was when I:

- used blue grit over old wallpaper stuck fast to a half exposed skimmed wall, covered in distemper

- used blue grit to seal a painted skimmed room, over which i used thistle bonding in sections, then pva.

The worst experiences were using just pva, cheap and strong stuff. Skimming on blue grit applied to old clean plaster was a bit better, but still found multi finish drying too quickly. (heating has never been more than 15 degrees)

So, now I’ve finished!!!, if I had too do it again, I reckon the suggestion in the last post would’ve worked best - sbr (possibly diluted), then pva.

Thank God GIF

Thanks for all the advice. I wish I had read the last post before starting on a 4x3m ceiling. Again, two coats of 1:4/1:3 didn’t stop first skim drying out too quickly. Got half way round then gave up. Applied more pva. Ended up with 3 skim coats and taking best part of a day.

bought Evostick this morning.
Mate it's not the pva.s fault