Preparing for the plasterer

Jamie Thomas

Ive asked a plasterer to come and skim walls this week in my kitchen and bathroom but I'm not sure if the walls are as prepared as they need to be.

He's not very advanced with Internet etc so trying to send him pics doesn't work.

There are a few holes in the wall from where the electrician has done work. Would he just fill those in?

Do I need to remove every scrap of tile adhesive? It's almost impossible to get off?

Also in the bathroom I have removed all the tiles but there are some lumps left which are pretty much welded tof the wall even when I go at them with the jack hammer. Do they even need to come off too?

Im just really worried I don't want him turning up and saying he can't proceed as all the other trades and kitchen fitters etc. are lined up straight off the back of it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20160815_132720.jpg
    20160815_132720.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 737
  • 20160815_132844.jpg
    20160815_132844.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 667
  • 20160815_132856.jpg
    20160815_132856.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 708
Difficult to answer as it depends on the plasterer what he expects. You need to talk to him really. Personally I would never do a job I hadn't looked at and priced beforehand. Let him know there are a few holes and chases which will need bonding out. He'll know what you mean. Otherwise the only prep I ask of a customer is a hot kettle and plenty of teabags.

Last edited:
all tile adhesive has to come off, someone has to put the hours of work in to do this either you or you will receive a bill from the plasterer for extras.

Oh dear, if he's said he'll start without viewing alarm bells should be ringing..

Personally I would want all the tile adhesive off (probably end up back to brick/block), all wallpaper off, any loose plaster hacked back till its solid, both rooms empty ie bath out as I presume you'll be renewing?? The rest of the kitchen as well..

If this isn't done before hand then it's turned a few days job into a week or more..

"Skimming" is a finish coat of 3-5mm it is applied to plasterboard, backing plasters or over existing well adhered skim but again is limited to 3-5mm so will not change the shape of wall just its complexion if you like..

What this will need is patching with a backing plaster in places, possibly fully floating or dabbing prior to "Skimming"

Good luck with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I am really concerned as the job hasn't been viewed he's just booked it in, but the communication initially good, is now very poor. I have left a couple of messages yesterday and today trying to confirm for Friday but had no response yet. He's quoted me 600 quid for both the kitchen and the bathroom (by the way the bath is staying as it's being kept) but I can't afford for this to escalate or for him to let me down. In a bit of a quandry really and not sure what to do as the kitchen fitter arrives on site on Thursday to assemble the units to fit on Monday when the plasterer has been in!! He's next free in October!!!

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I am really concerned as the job hasn't been viewed he's just booked it in, but the communication initially good, is now very poor. I have left a couple of messages yesterday and today trying to confirm for Friday but had no response yet. He's quoted me 600 quid for both the kitchen and the bathroom (by the way the bath is staying as it's being kept) but I can't afford for this to escalate or for him to let me down. In a bit of a quandry really and not sure what to do as the kitchen fitter arrives on site on Thursday to assemble the units to fit on Monday when the plasterer has been in!! He's next free in October!!!
Oh dear you can double that coz he will :(

Better start doing it or alternatively give the kitchen fitter the trowel and say that was in the quote !

Just from the pics it looks like is all got to come off back to brickwork.
I can never understand Why anyone prices a job without seeing it!!!

Also move the scales as us plasterers don't like to be weighed ;)

A tip for you from another thread -

You're meant to use a trowel not a barge pole - may help your finishing. Abit? ;)
I got my speedskim gaffa taped to the end of my barge pole...great for ceilings:numberone: