Popcorn ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KRISW1888

Got a job on start of next week, skimming over a full living room with multi. Problem is its a popcorn ceiling, quite bad in places, no way of over boarding as the ceilins are really low. I can stand on my tiptoes and reach the ceilin. I quoted the job at 'X' amount and the customer phoned me back saying that somebody else quoted him £30 cheaper. So he asked me to match it and I said ok no probs but you scrape the ceiling. We both agreed and ive got the job. I asked how old the house was and it was built in 1980, ive asked him to get it tested for asbestos but he says the guy that was in doing his other 2 ceilings just skimmed over them (exact same pattern) I thought about bonding coat over it and obv 2 coats of multi but I think the high spots would give me bother. Whats the best way to go here? If the house was built in 1980 theres a chance of asbestos. They have a baby in the house and im not riskin my health for it or the familys. What would you guys do? Cheers.

Haha! no worrys m8. If u were doin it would you skim straight onto it without scraping high spots or getting it tested? The ceilin itself is in a good condition no cracks etc, it has a coat of paint and some of the high spots are quite high.

Got a job on start of next week, skimming over a full living room with multi. Problem is its a popcorn ceiling, quite bad in places, no way of over boarding as the ceilins are really low. I can stand on my tiptoes and reach the ceilin. I quoted the job at 'X' amount and the customer phoned me back saying that somebody else quoted him £30 cheaper. So he asked me to match it and I said ok no probs but you scrape the ceiling. We both agreed and ive got the job. I asked how old the house was and it was built in 1980, ive asked him to get it tested for asbestos but he says the guy that was in doing his other 2 ceilings just skimmed over them (exact same pattern) I thought about bonding coat over it and obv 2 coats of multi but I think the high spots would give me bother. Whats the best way to go here? If the house was built in 1980 theres a chance of asbestos. They have a baby in the house and im not riskin my health for it or the familys. What would you guys do? Cheers.
Tell him to shove his job up his arse and move on, or tell him it's asbestos and you'll need another £200 to make sure you make it safe. Feckin £30 some people are just *****..

Tell him to shove his job up his arse and move on, or tell him it's asbestos and you'll need another £200 to make sure you make it safe. Feckin £30 some people are just *****..

Aye some customers are F*****g at it these days m8. sounds a bit tight but im only interested in leaving a nice job and makin sure mines and the familys health are not at risk. Think ill just tell him either get it tested so I can scrape high spots off and get on with it. Or tell him to get the last guy he had back in.

Aye some customers are F*****g at it these days m8. sounds a bit tight but im only interested in leaving a nice job and makin sure mines and the familys health are not at risk. Think ill just tell him either get it tested so I can scrape high spots off and get on with it. Or tell him to get the last guy he had back in. 
Think you hit the nail on the head mate ,if you are worrying about it ,don,t do it

Its as if hes no want to pay to get it tested lol. His last guy scraped and skimmed without gettin the artex tested. I know alot do this but I would rather keep it right and keep gettin word of mouth recommendations through doin a job right. If it was a bit higher it would have been no problem to overboard.

So adding half inch is gonna be a big deal...ffs.

and you shouldnt have dropped your price:RpS_thumbdn:
hes gonna have you jumpin thru hoops kriss.

Seems to be telling you what the last guy done?
Why not stick with the last guy if he was that feckin good?:RpS_unsure:

If you need the work then do your best to get it otherwise submit your price and walk on, my same old line when they start this sort of flaff is to say "sooo Ill leave that with you to think about and wait to hear from you, Thank you very much for your time good day to you"

...walk up the drive mumbling timewasting winkers to yourself!!

Thats what I was thinkin m8. I sent him a txt anyway. Told him to get it tested so I can scrape and skim or get someone else in. ☺

Got a txt back 5 mins ago. Hes goin to get it tested and ill still get the job.

or hes gonna tell you its been tested just to shut you up knowing that hes told you its 30 quid cheaper or you dont get it he thinks hes got you on puppet stings watch this sort of customer mate

id get another job lined up instead!!!!

Its as if hes no want to pay to get it tested lol. His last guy scraped and skimmed without gettin the artex tested. I know alot do this but I would rather keep it right and keep gettin word of mouth recommendations through doin a job right. If it was a bit higher it would have been no problem to overboard.

rightly or wrongly never tested a bit of artex ive scraped in over 15yrs nor have any spreads ive ever worked with???:RpS_confused:

rightly or wrongly never tested a bit of artex ive scraped in over 15yrs nor have any spreads ive ever worked with???:RpS_confused:

same here Zombie, before the forum I never even considered scrapping artex to be a risk :RpS_unsure:

Aye some of them are right stingy wankers lol. Only reason I agreed is cause I dnt have much work lined up till the middle of july. Got 3 or 4 jobs on then. Ive told him ill drop 30 but hes scraping the high spots off.

same here Zombie, before the forum I never even considered scrapping artex to be a risk :RpS_unsure:

there all just a set of pussys mate!!!! summets got to kill em cant work em out!!!

but on a serious not ive worked with well over 20 spreads over years and genuinely I don't know anyone that's ever asked for a lab result bla bla bla....must have come from courses or summet????

its ment to be just a trace of asbestos and its the not so harmful type aswell i think so a little scrapey scrape wont do any harm im sure

No it started with clued up surveyors :RpS_unsure: on the last property boom (which also coinsided with some high profile asbestosis cases) noting artex in houses and advising potential buyers to ask about the age of it and potentially have it tested. I re-skimmed fook'n loads of artexed walls and ceilings thanks to them surveyors :RpS_thumbup:. On the same subject though when i was an apprentice in the early 80's one of the few safety rules that was enforced was no one else except the person mixing the artex was allowed in the property until it was mixed cos he was the only person with the correct PPE.

there all just a set of pussys mate!!!! summets got to kill em cant work em out!!!

but on a serious not ive worked with well over 20 spreads over years and genuinely I don't know anyone that's ever asked for a lab result bla bla bla....must have come from courses or summet????
i have always tested it zombie, for the last 20years.....
the test goes like this....i scrape it plaster etc.. then if im still up and going to the job next day alive..without a cough? Its passed the test..:RpS_biggrin:....always wear a good quality mask tho.:RpS_thumbup::RpS_thumbup:

i have always tested it zombie, for the last 20years.....
the test goes like this....i scrape it plaster etc.. then if im still up and going to the job next day alive..without a cough? Its passed the test..:RpS_biggrin:....always wear a good quality mask tho.:RpS_thumbup::RpS_thumbup:

Asbestos the silent killer.

thats carbon monoxide your thinking about cath?
Wear the appropriate ppi....mask etc.........
A scream mask works well:RpS_wink:

Im thinking about asbestos on sites years before ppi was ever heard of, and of the health problem identified to asbestos years later hence the silent killer. Masks were like hard hats ,unheard of.

Status
Not open for further replies.