Popcorn ceiling

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aye some of them are right stingy wankers lol. Only reason I agreed is cause I dnt have much work lined up till the middle of july.Got 3 or 4 jobs on then. Ive told him ill drop 30 but hes scraping the high spots off.

Thats got to be worth the 30 sheets to be fair. let the dopey basted get covered in artex and clean it all up so you dont have to. Lets hope he pisses his neck or shoulder up while doing it at the same time:razz:.
I have a bit of an ongoing artex ceilings job at present. Whole house to be done, So they clear some rooms then i skim come back once more are clear for me.
My customer sounds a bit like yours, tight as ****. want the best job for cheap. Day rate as they feel thats the best way so i add on all mats and get a great day rate anyway. 1 pva turns in 2 etc.
I am not the biggest fan of scraping artex . As well as the could be the health risk , It can be a right effing mess everywhere, Which i do feel some customers do frown upon you about. This particular job is a very recent build and i have not seen such soft and thick artex as in this house. It basically nearly all comes off and in a lot of areas back to the plasterboard. The dust is so bad that i have been sealing all the other doors in the house with that drop down plastic from P iss and taping them up. wearing a mask as you would and spraying a bit of water to try to keep the dust down. Half a pale came off a poxy en suite to give you an example. I would much rather of over boarded but they wont pay because the is coving ,Even though this looks like its about to fall down any given second as been put up with same weak artex.
So as much as you try and tell a customer the best method most of them dont want to listen. I did ask if they wanted to wash my dust sheets but i dont think they were too keen. I did then point out that the was over a £100 worth that i now have to take into other properties or skip. Either i have had a few tossing customers of late or i am just getting older and moaning a lot more

I would have told him to stick his job mate, never come down with your original qoute, we got to have pride, its not a fukin market stall we are running.. I got asked to drop my price last weekend on a qoute, told him 690, and he said can you do 650 for cash.. told him, no, its 690, still got the job..

Thats got to be worth the 30 sheets to be fair. let the dopey basted get covered in artex and clean it all up so you dont have to. Lets hope he pisses his neck or shoulder up while doing it at the same time:razz:.
I have a bit of an ongoing artex ceilings job at present. Whole house to be done, So they clear some rooms then i skim come back once more are clear for me.
My customer sounds a bit like yours, tight as ****. want the best job for cheap. Day rate as they feel thats the best way so i add on all mats and get a great day rate anyway. 1 pva turns in 2 etc.
I am not the biggest fan of scraping artex . As well as the could be the health risk , It can be a right effing mess everywhere, Which i do feel some customers do frown upon you about. This particular job is a very recent build and i have not seen such soft and thick artex as in this house. It basically nearly all comes off and in a lot of areas back to the plasterboard. The dust is so bad that i have been sealing all the other doors in the house with that drop down plastic from P iss and taping them up. wearing a mask as you would and spraying a bit of water to try to keep the dust down. Half a pale came off a poxy en suite to give you an example. I would much rather of over boarded but they wont pay because the is coving ,Even though this looks like its about to fall down any given second as been put up with same weak artex.
So as much as you try and tell a customer the best method most of them dont want to listen. I did ask if they wanted to wash my dust sheets but i dont think they were too keen. I did then point out that the was over a £100 worth that i now have to take into other properties or skip. Either i have had a few tossing customers of late or i am just getting older and moaning a lot more

If you're worried about the dust, use a steamer. If it's soft it means its unpainted. Using a steamer would turn it to mush and itll scrape off cleanly. No dust. No paricles.

Cheers for that chrisjack231. Yip hes defo scrapin it and he can tidy up after him. I wont be near the job till its scraped and cleared out Then ill skim the ceiling and walls, get my cash and get to ****.

I would have told him to stick his job mate, never come down with your original qoute, we got to have pride, its not a fukin market stall we are running.. I got asked to drop my price last weekend on a qoute, told him 690, and he said can you do 650 for cash.. told him, no, its 690, still got the job..

A would never usually drop a price for anyone m8 but if hes goin to scrape the artex etc then im cool with that. Priced a job for a landlord few weeks back. 15 ft high ceiling and 4 walls, it was a living room. Cheeky bitch asked me to plaster it for 300. I said no chance and walked away. She says she has a guy who is semi retired who does her work cheap!!

Got a job on start of next week, skimming over a full living room with multi. Problem is its a popcorn ceiling, quite bad in places, no way of over boarding as the ceilins are really low. I can stand on my tiptoes and reach the ceilin. I quoted the job at 'X' amount and the customer phoned me back saying that somebody else quoted him £30 cheaper. So he asked me to match it and I said ok no probs but you scrape the ceiling. We both agreed and ive got the job. I asked how old the house was and it was built in 1980, ive asked him to get it tested for asbestos but he says the guy that was in doing his other 2 ceilings just skimmed over them (exact same pattern) I thought about bonding coat over it and obv 2 coats of multi but I think the high spots would give me bother. Whats the best way to go here? If the house was built in 1980 theres a chance of asbestos. They have a baby in the house and im not riskin my health for it or the familys. What would you guys do? Cheers.

Don't scrape it without a test mate, a lot on here won't agree with me but it's your health that's at stake.

A would never usually drop a price for anyone m8 but if hes goin to scrape the artex etc then im cool with that. Priced a job for a landlord few weeks back. 15 ft high ceiling and 4 walls, it was a living room. Cheeky bitch asked me to plaster it for 300. I said no chance and walked away. She says she has a guy who is semi retired who does her work cheap!!

That's the thing kris, there are loads of guys around here that work for pennies. Go onto the local buy and sell page on Facebook and whenever anyone asks for a plasterer there's about 15 replys all saying they can do it cheaper. I had to ask family and friends to stop tagging me in the posts as I wasn't interested in scraping over a job.

Don't scrape it without a test mate, a lot on here won't agree with me but it's your health that's at stake.

Defo no riskin my health for it m8. When I was in pricing it they had a small kid in the house. At least gettin it tested I know im no leaving any health risks.

If you're worried about the dust, use a steamer. If it's soft it means its unpainted. Using a steamer would turn it to mush and itll scrape off cleanly. No dust. No paricles.

I am pretty sure it has been painted but I am thinking its a one coat jobby on a house bash estate. I did wonder about steaming it after the day of mess i had. Do you think the steamer will still work if its had a coat of paint. I also worry that the coving may fall down if i steam it. When i got to the job all the coving in the bathroom had fell down . When i was scraping i was so careful on the cove edge as i feel if you hit it with the flat of the scraper a whole length will pop off as it were. These are meant to be 4-5 bed fantastic homes but the build quality is terrible . Even looking at the outside at the brickwork makes me cringe :RpS_mellow:

Just wet the ceiling before you scrape it back to keep the dust down and wear a mask

**** it. Get that tight cunnt to do it or get a test. Sick of people risking our health to save a few quid

ffs get a grip yer set of fukin homos!!!! knowone in 20 yrs has sent a test to a lab in Barnsley and knowone to my knowledge has died as a result get a grip!!!! jesus Christ your all just a set of fukin girls!!!

ffs get a grip yer set of fukin homos!!!! knowone in 20 yrs has sent a test to a lab in Barnsley and knowone to my knowledge has died as a result get a grip!!!! jesus Christ your all just a set of fukin girls!!!
Your wrong there , my mate died in a car crash ,driving to the test lab , each to their own ,i have never done it ,but that ...............sorry bit of a cough.....but that does not mean it,s right

the voice of wisdom :RpS_thumbsup:

I never knew about it till I came on here. Then when I started doing the insurance work and you see the lads kitted up when removing it. Spoke to a few of them and they all said the same, its far from the deadliest form but its asbestos none the less.

Your wrong there , my mate died in a car crash ,driving to the test lab , each to their own ,i have never done it ,but that ...............sorry bit of a cough.....but that does not mean it,s right

what can I say keith serious aside tongue in cheak!!!

but who the **** started/suggested lab results bla bla bla??? can tell u for a fact he weren't a plasterer and he certainly weren't from south Yorkshire...tust me maybe its a southern thing/affluent area thing but its defo not a northern thing!!!!

I,m with you ,never done it ,don,t think i ever will , i have more chance of fall off a scaffold :RpS_scared:

Last edited:
when i did my asbestos awareness training a few years back i mentioned about the minimal content in artex and the bloke said" i hear that all the time and what i always says is if i asked you to swim in a pool of 30 sharks you would say no, but if i asked you to swim in a pool with only 1 shark which is MINIMAL compared to 30 would you swim in it??

when i did my asbestos awareness training a few years back i mentioned about the minimal content in artex and the bloke said" i hear that all the time and what i always says is if i asked you to swim in a pool of 30 sharks you would say no, but if i asked you to swim in a pool with only 1 shark which is MINIMAL compared to 30 would you swim in it??
Can,t swim mate :RpS_blushing:

i would for £50 :RpS_mellow:

I don't get all this its either bad for your or it isn't???? wish someone would just fukin say either way everyone and ther dog can speculate!!!!!!

i dont know many dogs who can speculate.......................except maybe...............erm...............scobby doo.....................hong kong phooey............Brian Griffin..................huckleberry hound.................Gromitt, maybe..............................:RpS_unsure:

I don't get all this its either bad for your or it isn't???? wish someone would just fukin say either way everyone and ther dog can speculate!!!!!!
When money is involved ,there is a risk ,the guy at the lab ,the guy doing the course ,don,t get me wrong in 50 years we may all be dead:RpS_scared:

i dont know many dogs who can speculate.......................except maybe...............erm...............scobby doo.....................hong kong phooey............Brian Griffin..................huckleberry hound.................Gromitt, maybe..............................:RpS_unsure:
Just had a chat with my dog ,she has no idea :RpS_cursing:

seriously though who/where do you guys all send you lab samples off to????.....Id fukin love some of you guys to come to Barnsley and suggest all this b*ll***s to my customers,,,,

im not saying that your all wrong but seriously if id never been on this forum I genuinely would have never of had this consideration????

Ffs Arti you forgot the main Dog!! :-0 DAVE :RpS_unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.