Plastering a ceiling in a furnished room & plastering pricing

monsieurdiy

Hi all

I'm having my loft converted and the builder has said don't skim the 1st floor ceilings because they'll pop when they do the new joists upstairs/deflect with load. However I'd just started a new bathroom on the 1st floor, all the walls and ceiling is boarded ready and I'm now tiling the walls and fitting the bathroom next- thought I better double check with plasterers first because to me it looks like a nightmare when there's bathroom fittings taking up half of the floor space (doing above a shower door in a cubicle looks a pain) and skim will go everywhere no matter how careful the plasterer is , although I guess people have bathroom ceiling replastered from time to time. SO...is it better to wait (for me!) ?

Also, pricing. I've not hired a plasterer for quite a few years. I had a bloke out before the builder said the above and he quote me a day rate of £200. He then text me and said actually he didn't want to do a day rate he wanted price per job; to skim a ceiling and a boarded wall and to dot & dab and skim another wall (currently bare brick) in the same room he wanted £750 - that was far more than I was expecting for half a room. I'd rather day rates to be honest as I've bits and bobs all over the house , do people still do them & what sort of rate?

Any help appreciated

Builder talking rubbish from back in the 80’s when board was still nailed up.
Crack on, any minor defect can be filled and painted
Priced fine unless you want an odd job Bob a job scout boy coming round

Last edited:
Couldn't the bathroom wait? Nightmare customer!! I would advise the same don't plaster until the heavy building work is finished...foot through ceiling? popping screws? cracked joints? etc are you the professional builder?

£200 a day is from back in 2000...you are looking at £250 to £300 a day for a decent spread. He probably changed to price because he suspected a clock watcher.

To be honest coming on here as a customer asking plasterers about others prices is a bit wrong.
If you think its too dear get another price.
As for the bathroom just get it done and leave the others

Hi all

I'm having my loft converted and the builder has said don't skim the 1st floor ceilings because they'll pop when they do the new joists upstairs/deflect with load. However I'd just started a new bathroom on the 1st floor, all the walls and ceiling is boarded ready and I'm now tiling the walls and fitting the bathroom next- thought I better double check with plasterers first because to me it looks like a nightmare when there's bathroom fittings taking up half of the floor space (doing above a shower door in a cubicle looks a pain) and skim will go everywhere no matter how careful the plasterer is , although I guess people have bathroom ceiling replastered from time to time. SO...is it better to wait (for me!) ?

Also, pricing. I've not hired a plasterer for quite a few years. I had a bloke out before the builder said the above and he quote me a day rate of £200. He then text me and said actually he didn't want to do a day rate he wanted price per job; to skim a ceiling and a boarded wall and to dot & dab and skim another wall (currently bare brick) in the same room he wanted £750 - that was far more than I was expecting for half a room. I'd rather day rates to be honest as I've bits and bobs all over the house , do people still do them & what sort of rate?

Any help appreciated

You sound like the kind of customer you're forever tripping over. Doesn't listen and gets in the way.

You want him on day rate so he can be ur bitch for the day more like,turns up at 8 20 with you stood at door what time do you call this!? Then hes like sorry mate traffic was bad,it gets to 3.15 and he's finished everything he can and he's like I'm done pal see you tomoz with you shouting out but its not 4pm yet and you didn't start until 8.20..then comes to end of job and you being the tit you are start getting calculator out and start deducting money.hes given you a price now either accept it or get another 10 which I'm sure you will.id run a mile from the f**k*r for obvious reasons

Couldn't the bathroom wait? Nightmare customer!! I would advise the same don't plaster until the heavy building work is finished...foot through ceiling? popping screws? cracked joints? etc are you the professional builder?

£200 a day is from back in 2000...you are looking at £250 to £300 a day for a decent spread. He probably changed to price because he suspected a clock watcher.
Thanks for that, good point on accidents upstairs, foot through ceiling etc.
Bathroom couldn't wait unfortunately, I've had a bit of bad luck - house didn't have a bathroom when I bought it work's been delayed by a year and I'm being evicted from the house I'm in.

Cheers for the pricing, that's more like I was thinking

Last edited:
Hi all

Any help appreciated
Not sure how he's gone from £200 a day to £750 for a day and a half job, even if he's charging 2 full days like most plasterers would that's £400, and materials certainly isn't £350.

Get a couple more quotes from plasterers with good reputations.

Getting someone on a day rate for a load of shitty fiddly jobs in every room isn't a good idea though. Just show the plasterer all the work that needs doing and he'll give you a price

To be honest coming on here as a customer asking plasterers about others prices is a bit wrong.
If you think its too dear get another price.
As for the bathroom just get it done and leave the others
I didn't think it would be an issue as I didn't name him. But yes, I did think it was a bit dear for half a room. so thought I'd ask an idea of the going rate and if people still do day rates while asking about the ceilings.

Not sure how he's gone from £200 a day to £750 for a day and a half job, even if he's charging 2 full days like most plasterers would that's £400, and materials certainly isn't £350.

Getting someone on a day rate for a load of shitty fiddly jobs in every room isn't a good idea though. Just show the plasterer all the work that needs doing and he'll give you a price
cheers, that's what I thought - he wanted me to supply materials too. To be honest apart from the bathroom pain in the arse, the rest is all now back to brick or drylined and all are empty rooms. I'll get some priced quotes.

Why did you blow your fellow spread out the window on a public forum to a customer !!!
Prob cost him the job now

Why oh why

Wouldn't happen on a plumbers forum ....would be all roughly in agreement on a price to fit a boiler and not many would deviate from the price .. its called unison and helps protect rates
Because its fooking nath and he's cheap cheap cheap.no need at all but its his way of thinking.hence why hell be working until 24th Dec maybe and bk at it on 27th

Why did you blow your fellow spread out the window on a public forum to a customer !!!

Why oh why
Haha. I'd already told him he'd not got the job but needed to know if he was completely taking the piss or not so I know whether I'll be spending 2021 staring at brick.
Main thing was plasterers' opinion on the ceiling popping. Mixed responses on that one, I reckon I'm going to go ahead and get it skimmed ahead of the work. I'm guessing it's easier to fix a crack then find a plasterer who wants to pogo round a newly fitted bathroom. Should also stop vapour getting into the ceiling board.

Cheers chaps and chapettes

Haha. I'd already told him he'd not got the job but needed to know if he was completely taking the piss or not so I know whether I'll be spending 2021 staring at brick.
Main thing was plasterers' opinion on the ceiling popping. Mixed responses on that one, I reckon I'm going to go ahead and get it skimmed ahead of the work. I'm guessing it's easier to fix a crack then find a plasterer who wants to pogo round a newly fitted bathroom. Should also stop vapour getting into the ceiling board.

Cheers chaps and chapettes
The above statement confirms why prices should not be discussed on public forum.

Why oh why
The plasterer cost himself the job.
Hi my day rate is £200, in fact no I don't want to work day rate, that 2 day job is £750 and you supply the materials.
What plasterer expects the customer to go and buy sheets of board, dab, and multi?
I'm cheap... Lol OK. My tax bill is more than some of you probably declare

Hi my day rate is £200, in fact no I don't want to work day rate, that 2 day job is £750 and you supply the materials.
What plasterer expects the customer to go and buy sheets of board, dab, and multi?
It has nothing to do with you how much anyone charges to do a job. There was no need to comment about this.

He was only doing half a room because he kept banging on about a cancellation he had and that's all he could fit in - I said it's fine come do the lot in January/Feb when you can price for the time but he insisted on filling the gaps in his diary. Gave me some sob story about needing to fix his van and how he couldn't afford milk formula for his baby so had been using multifinish powder instead - hope you can live with yourself Nath. I'm sure if I hadn't come here I would have got other quotes and those plasterers would have all turned up none the wiser but in unison said 'don't know about plastering this whole gaff, how about half that room for £749-751 ....whatever you do don't go on the internet and ask, just keep getting us round and wasting out time and then select one lucky bidder for the big £750 payday'

IMHO we shouldn't interact with non plasterers on here, unless they're looking for a spread, full stop.
If people want to discuss prices it should only ever be in the private section.
King of all trades allowed?
200.gif

IMHO we shouldn't interact with non plasterers on here, unless they're looking for a spread, full stop.
If people want to discuss prices it should only ever be in the private section.
Yes, but...they do keep us so amused, horrified, arguing withj their hoorror stroies and dodgy questions. Just don't talk about prices!

If anyone comes on here asking. Minimum daywork rate is 200
Just don't discuss prices unless there are good like mine then ull want them to see them..all u tits charging a days day rate to skim a room you want your heads testing

Nath £200 is cheap. Unless maybe you live at home in Skegness or somewhere like that?

£250 is the minimum these days and most lads are earning £300 - £500 a day on price even more if rendering.

If you are going to put prices on a public forum...whatever comes into your head maybe double it? and do us all a favour because some of us have businesses to run, mortgages, family with wife at home etc etc

Nath £200 is cheap. Unless maybe you live at home in Skegness or somewhere like that?

£250 is the minimum these days and most lads are earning £300 - £500 a day on price even more if rendering.

If you are going to put prices on a public forum...whatever comes into your head maybe double it? and do us all a favour because some of us have businesses to run, mortgages, family with wife at home etc etc
Innit