Plasterboarding a chimney breast

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeD

Private Member
Is it ok to batten and plasterboard a working chimney breast?

Theres no fire hazards?

Thanks

Gypliner's good as the metal stud sits on a bracket so if the heat creates any movement it should be the bracket that flexes and not the stud. That does depend on how hot it gets though.

I was thinking timber stud, it's only used very occasionally, small open fire and a large surround. This is just on the face and sides, can't see it getting that hot.

I've done them before with timber studs on gas fires which have been installed into chimneys plenty of times & did one this week on a breast housing a woodburner. All on the customers orders mind. I just used one board without any joints.

Because he says he doesn't like putting dabs at the top of the boards (his words not mine)

It's not that mate, on a chimney breast I would, just think it's a waste of material on other walls so don't bother.

There is very minor damp on the chimney breast, I think it's condensation build up rather than rising, but will opt for a scratch and dabbing or battening and boarding in case.

It's not that mate, on a chimney breast I would, just think it's a waste of material on other walls so don't bother.

There is very minor damp on the chimney breast, I think it's condensation build up rather than rising, but will opt for a scratch and dabbing or battening and boarding in case.
Dab a BG thermaline plus 27mm board straight on it has a vapour check inbuilt so no moisture will come through the board..all chimneys are damp inside.. By far easier to do ..no issues with moisture...a little bit extra cost on boards though...hope that helps

Dab a BG thermaline plus 27mm board straight on it has a vapour check inbuilt so no moisture will come through the board..all chimneys are damp inside.. By far easier to do ..no issues with moisture...a little bit extra cost on boards though...hope that helps

My locals merchants have stopped stocking BG...they have Siniat boards, 27mm, orange back...do these have vapour check in built?

Status
Not open for further replies.