Plasterboard structure issue

Members online

Annon0007

Hi, I'm new to this forum, and would love to get some expert insights.

We paid a builder, who specializes in plastering to plasterboard a shed. For context it's a single concrete block room, 30sqm. However, when built it was done so in a poor manner. The ceiling is not high and the joists are not equally spread out. Plus the roof is slanted. It was a tough job.

The builder did an okay ish job. Although he put one plasterboard upside down. Issue is, the roof is so low, the door struggles to open without shaving the joist. To combat this, we sliced a chunk out the joist and added metal support strips to give it strength.

So he got to the door and boxed it out. With the section under the door, with no plasterboard because the door will not be able to be opened. We can in theory plasterboard the whole section, only if we fully cut a section of the joint. It is a solid 30”. You can see it in the photo showing the consumer unit. That whole way. I believe it is too much to cut and would weaken the joint too much, even with multiple support strips.

However if you look at the images, the plasterboards are getting damaged and i do not know what to do. In the image where there is support under the plasterboard, the door is rubbing it as the door opens. Over time this will damage it.

I was going to joint and tape the whole ceiling but it's just this section I have conflicting ideas on how to combat it. Should I just remove all the plasterboard after the consumer unit, and just board it up with a sheet of plywood?

Also in the image number 1 , How do I tape and joint this. I can’t get a bead under there so I have no idea how to remedy this.

The builder said he would tape and joint the room, but only after he said he had no idea what it was. And then proceeded to do the worst attempt ever as you can see. In every way.

I could do with some advice.

Attachments

• IMG_0360.jpeg
    IMG_0360.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0361.jpeg
    IMG_0361.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0362.jpeg
    IMG_0362.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0364.jpeg
    IMG_0364.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0366.jpeg
    IMG_0366.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 188
what do you mean

I was 11 when this place was built.
Ah right I see. I know exactly what the problem is here; you're clueless, which is excusable and your 'builder' (not convinced he is) is also clueless, which is inexcusable. He should have told you right from the get go that your current door is not suitable and that you either need to buy a shorter door or one that opens outwards. Either would be easy and cheap and without need to start hacking your roof timbers about, which is definitely not something that someone who's clueless should be doing.
I needed to put a replacement door on one of my garages recently, I popped down to a local double glazing company and bought a perfectly good door that they'd taken out of another property and it only cost me £30.

Hi, I'm new to this forum, and would love to get some expert insights.

We paid a builder, who specializes in plastering to plasterboard a shed. For context it's a single concrete block room, 30sqm. However, when built it was done so in a poor manner. The ceiling is not high and the joists are not equally spread out. Plus the roof is slanted. It was a tough job.

The builder did an okay ish job. Although he put one plasterboard upside down. Issue is, the roof is so low, the door struggles to open without shaving the joist. To combat this, we sliced a chunk out the joist and added metal support strips to give it strength.

So he got to the door and boxed it out. With the section under the door, with no plasterboard because the door will not be able to be opened. We can in theory plasterboard the whole section, only if we fully cut a section of the joint. It is a solid 30”. You can see it in the photo showing the consumer unit. That whole way. I believe it is too much to cut and would weaken the joint too much, even with multiple support strips.

However if you look at the images, the plasterboards are getting damaged and i do not know what to do. In the image where there is support under the plasterboard, the door is rubbing it as the door opens. Over time this will damage it.

I was going to joint and tape the whole ceiling but it's just this section I have conflicting ideas on how to combat it. Should I just remove all the plasterboard after the consumer unit, and just board it up with a sheet of plywood?

Also in the image number 1 , How do I tape and joint this. I can’t get a bead under there so I have no idea how to remedy this.

The builder said he would tape and joint the room, but only after he said he had no idea what it was. And then proceeded to do the worst attempt ever as you can see. In every way.

I could do with some advice.
People do have a knack of adding photos that tell you the square root of fcuck all.

Is that an up and over garage door or a pedestrian door?