patch or skim entire wall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spark2010

I looked at a job yesterday for my mate. Its a flat 11 stories high. I have been asked to remove an electric fire and its surrounding wooden frame. A guy has already came and removed the actual fire( 2 bar heater) and made safe the cables. Now...

Behind the aluminium sheet is about 50mm of concrete where the fire lived. I have been asked to hack off the concrete back to the wall. (area is about 1.2m x 1m). Probably be brick or block. On the other side of the wall is the neighbours flat.

Thing is .. Should I hack it off, hardwall/bonding (depending on background) and skim the area and feathering into the existing wall. 1.2m x 1m is not really a patch. I suggested skimming the whole wall after the backing plaster which is currently painted and the wall is about 4m long by 2.4m high.

What is best approach...

Thanks

Id hardwall the blockwork and reskim the lot - if your mate is happy to pay the extra and youre happy to do it, it will look a whole lot better

Yup............always skim the lot if the client will let you, much more satisfactory result. A patch is always a patch!

Skim it all as if you don't get your joint spot on your looking at a coulple of trips to easifill and sand

The plaster drying proces takes 2 hrs be it one small patch or 2 long walls,it still will take to 2hrs to pull in.
so rather than sit around scratching ur balls u might as well do the whole wall like said.

yup as above.. I find it quicker to skim the lot than patch... Sometimes patching is more skilled than actual skimming :)

thanks lads, the whole wall it is..

The thing is the bloke thought I was trying to have him over, I actually suggested the whole wall as it will look
better and be a better job all around...then the extra few quid came second

Oh yes one more thing, because the wall is painted matt and if i hardwall/bond the patch,,

Is it best to PVA entire wall, as the painted area will take longer to go off, The hardwall / bonding
will no doubt pull the skim in quicker... or maybe WBA all??

Status
Not open for further replies.