paitning ove rnew plaster

Members online

dreamer2

Hi, I need an advise. I have a builder working in my house and while I started to paint the walls he came to me and showed few tips. Then I decided that I will ask him to do the painting job as he said he can do it in one day two rooms.
He did it in two coats . On the first coat he put very thick water based emulsion where he didn't add any water and then he put over Dulux paint. I have covings on the ceiling he didn't put the tape and made the lines with the brush. In the kitchen the paint is not dark and it doesn't catch the eye but in the bedroom it looks awful.
I have been watching videos now and in every single video the people say that the water must be added in the first coat. Even he said me that before but he didn't do it as he wanted to finish the job in one day.
So, the job is done in a wrong way, didn't add the water, didn't let it dry properly, put very thick coat.
Will my paint pill off ? What shell I expect? Is any way to fix it now?
I have spoke to him this morning and he swears that everything will be fine and that he will come and will put another layer and fix the covings lines. Before he do it I would like to find out how to do it in a right way in my situation.

Just let it be now or get professional decorator in if your not happy
What paint product did he use for first coating?

He used Layland white emulsion. Just came into the bedroom to see the paint and found that it already started to pill off in one place. He is keep saying that he will fix everything but I want to know how it can be fixed if there is a way.

Nobody really paints straight away with out a mist coat to be in a position to say.
If the paint peels off easy then remove it all and start afresh

Maybe there’s a decorators forum???

Cna+Yuo+Raed+Tihs+fi+yuo+cna+raed+tihs,+yuo+hvae+a+sgtrane+mnid+too.+Cna+yuo+raed+tihs+Olny+55...jpg

He used Layland white emulsion. Just came into the bedroom to see the paint and found that it already started to pill off in one place. He is keep saying that he will fix everything but I want to know how it can be fixed if there is a way.
Any painting ask Astramax on screwfix forum

Hi, I need an advise. I have a builder working in my house and while I started to paint the walls he came to me and showed few tips. Then I decided that I will ask him to do the painting job as he said he can do it in one day two rooms.
He did it in two coats . On the first coat he put very thick water based emulsion where he didn't add any water and then he put over Dulux paint. I have covings on the ceiling he didn't put the tape and made the lines with the brush. In the kitchen the paint is not dark and it doesn't catch the eye but in the bedroom it looks awful.
I have been watching videos now and in every single video the people say that the water must be added in the first coat. Even he said me that before but he didn't do it as he wanted to finish the job in one day.
So, the job is done in a wrong way, didn't add the water, didn't let it dry properly, put very thick coat.
Will my paint pill off ? What shell I expect? Is any way to fix it now?
I have spoke to him this morning and he swears that everything will be fine and that he will come and will put another layer and fix the covings lines. Before he do it I would like to find out how to do it in a right way in my situation.
@Borat, there is a very simple trick to check if your guy is a painter.
First make sure they are wearing whites, second make sure they are not too white.

Last edited:
It tells you on the paint tin or the online data sheet for application what you should do with the paint for over plaster.
There are a number of ways it can be done. I'm using a durable paint on a room I skimmed next week and I have to use the brand specified primer as I can't thin the paint. Other paints can be thinned to a max of 20% for primer mist coat. Then there is the cheapo contract matt that can be left on allowing surface to dry over the coming months but is not good to use as a primer If durable emulsion is going on following day.